Diners Club Australia Application Process Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobs214

Hey everyone, pretty new to this site so thought I'd dive right in by sharing my recent experience applying for a Diners Club Card here in Australia.

I've read a few threads of people experiencing delays or an unusual amount of time in processing applications. I must admit, I have had a similar experience, however have found their call centre staff and the lady in charge of processing the applications, to be quite lovely, polite and helpful. I have rung the applications team, based in Sydney, and from what I gather there is only one person who handles all the applications - for personal cards at least.
So here's my experience so far:
I've applied for the combo Diners Personal Card and World Mastercard.

1. 17OCT19 - Downloaded and printed PDF application form, filled out manually by good ol' fashioned pen, took photo of application form and emailed in.
2. 28OCT19 - Diners contacted me via email stating that they couldn't view application in JPEG photo format. Please resend as PDF. Resent.
3. 31OCT19 - Diners called me to advise that my application had passed pre-screening and wanted to reconfirm a few minor details - how I want my name to appear on card etc and address. Called automated service to check progress of application and said there was "no application found".
4. 15NOV19 - Diners contacted me via email with an official thank you email for your application, an application number and a list of required documents. Payslips, phone bill, licence, utility bill. Called automated service to check progress and stated "Application is in progress, please supply the following details to move forward in your application"
5. 18NOV19 - 20NOV19 Over these days there was a few calls back and forth with the Sydney new applications office to confirm employment and permission to call employers etc.
6. 21NOV19 - Rang applications office in Sydney to check if they had all they needed and if there was anything else I needed to do or provide. Advised all good and application has been sent for final approval. Will call me in the next day or two. Called automated service and back to "Application in progress".

It's now the weekend and no calls or news and automated service still says "Application in progress" so that's where I'm at so far!
Here's hoping I get approved.

Hopefully this may help (or at least ease the frustration) for people applying for a Diners Club card in Australia.
Please note that when emailing an application form, send as PDF or will slow process.
The applications team in Sydney's direct number is : 1300729612 Mon-Fri Business hours

Any updates on this? We’re you successful? I have tried annually for the last three years and been knocked back EVERY time. I have never been knocked back for any other cards except this one.....don’t know what I am doing wrong 😩

Any updates on this? We’re you successful? I have tried annually for the last three years and been knocked back EVERY time. I have never been knocked back for any other cards except this one.....don’t know what I am doing wrong 😩

Same problem. Never had any issues, but failed to get Diners.
"Amazing" company and service

Lol. Well, I had an interesting experience too - I got accepted first go, but I was surprised when I found out I had a 'credit limit' on a charge card - I understand that 'in practice' all charge cards have a set amount you can spend (which will probably vary as your spending patterns change), BUT to up-front have a set 'hard credit limit', which they didn't even inform me about was a new experience...

Same problem. Never had any issues, but failed to get Diners.
"Amazing" company and service

I think I will give the applications team a call prior to another go if I ever decide to apply again. Just in case I am consistently messing something up on their hi-tech application forms 😂

Lol. Well, I had an interesting experience too - I got accepted first go, but I was surprised when I found out I had a 'credit limit' on a charge card - I understand that 'in practice' all charge cards have a set amount you can spend (which will probably vary as your spending patterns change), BUT to up-front have a set 'hard credit limit', which they didn't even inform me about was a new experience...

Very interesting. I have been thinking about it again recently after letting my AMEX charge card go. Just couldn’t justify the annual fee anymore. Especially with no huge travel plans on the horizon. But now I do really miss the charge card being in my wallet. It always made me feel like I had a fall back in case of emergency because of the ‘unlimited’ nature.

Yes, it's so helpful sometimes having a charge card in the wallet - I almost felt like it was 'deceptive advertising' by Diners re hard credit limit, but I couldn't be bothered following it up, as it didn't really impact me, since my fall-back card is the Plat.

So I took the plunge and decided to go it again. Just missed having a charge card too much.
as per the usual it was a fairly drawn out process.
T-0 - application emailed off
T-ONE WEEK - phoned to check they received the email and to get my application reference number. No number given, but application received and still in initial processing.
T-TWO WEEKS - Received email requesting supporting documents. Utility bill, phone bill, two months most recent payslips and drivers licence copy, back and front.
T-THREE WEEKS - Got a random email saying I have been enrolled in Diners Club electronic statements.....I am guessing this means my application has been approved?

Well I guess fourth time is the charm 🤣

Sorry for the late reply - No I wasn't approved unfortunately. Everything seemed positive but they never called me back and I got a letter in the mail saying I had been declined.

So I took the plunge and decided to go it again. Just missed having a charge card too much.
as per the usual it was a fairly drawn out process.
T-0 - application emailed off
T-ONE WEEK - phoned to check they received the email and to get my application reference number. No number given, but application received and still in initial processing.
T-TWO WEEKS - Received email requesting supporting documents. Utility bill, phone bill, two months most recent payslips and drivers licence copy, back and front.
T-THREE WEEKS - Got a random email saying I have been enrolled in Diners Club electronic statements.....I am guessing this means my application has been approved?

Well I guess fourth time is the charm 🤣
Thats great news MikeeB! Congrats! Did you wait a full year to reapply? Any advice you can give?

Sorry for the late reply - No I wasn't approved unfortunately. Everything seemed positive but they never called me back and I got a letter in the mail saying I had been declined.

Hey Scoobs,

I waited a little bit more than a year. The past few times was generally each December. This time was not until February just gone. So there is one data point, perhaps they are more inclined to approve someone AFTER the festive season when out of control spending isn’ generally as rife? Just speculation there lol but sort of makes sense.

this most recent application I now also have a mortgage and are no longer renting. So maybe they are more inclined towards people in their own properties rather than renters?

I have also changed jobs in the last six months and my salary increased a decent amount. Not outrageously but more than on my last few applications.

I hope there is some helpful info there for you 😊

Hey Scoobs,

I waited a little bit more than a year. The past few times was generally each December. This time was not until February just gone. So there is one data point, perhaps they are more inclined to approve someone AFTER the festive season when out of control spending isn’ generally as rife? Just speculation there lol but sort of makes sense.

this most recent application I now also have a mortgage and are no longer renting. So maybe they are more inclined towards people in their own properties rather than renters?

I have also changed jobs in the last six months and my salary increased a decent amount. Not outrageously but more than on my last few applications.

I hope there is some helpful info there for you 😊
Thanks @MikeeB for the insight, might have another go later in the year :)

@MikeeB how are you finding your Diners Club card so far this year? I've reapplied and its in final approval again *rolls eyes* , so here's hoping

Hey Scoobs,
It’s been great. Even though unfortunately I only really get to use the M/C as only servos and the big grocery stores seem to accept the Diners LoL. But I love the charge card ‘no pre-set’ spending limit. I also noticed in another thread that I can put the Diners card on my PayPal now without incurring the foreign exchange fee it used to incur. So that’s a win, PayPal seems to be much more widely accepted than Diners.
good luck with your final approval 👍

I’ve found Citi quite efficient vs DC where I’ve been waiting for a few weeks for my MC companion card to be issued after sending a paper app for it (which they accepted via email which pleasantly surprised me).

Just got cards in exactly 3 weeks. They send me a reference number fairly quickly and called twice to confirm my address and name on the card and some documents.

Sounds like the experience has changed. They never used to provide updates or a reference number. Wonder what will happen should NAB take over.
I am not so sure if NAB will take over diners... on the email with the ref number it says "New Apps Team – xx_X, Diners Club International, Citigroup Business Process Solutions". My understanding is NAB takes over only the retail department of Citibank?

that’s how I understood it. Saw Diners as a ‘retail’ offering rather than one of their wholesale businesses. Guess there might be more at work with DC esp if it’s governed by other agreements. Would be cool if NAB could rejuvenate it. Issue is that as soon as it starts getting traction, the RBA is likely to beat it over the head as we can’t let big banks circumvent the system …
Edit: just did some googling. Looks like DC is part of the deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back