Did Amex remove “loss” as a valid reason from the platinum 90 day purchase protection insurance?

I lost an item that I paid for with my platinum card a few years ago and through the insurance I was able to get it reimbursed so that I could buy another one.

But I was reading the terms just now and the purchase protection wording seems to have changed from “loss, theft, or damage” to just “theft or damage”

Have they sneakily removed loss as a valid reason? Or am I losing my mind?

Anyone filed an insurance claim for this recently?

The PDS is here: https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/au/benefits/Platinum/PlatinumInsurance.pdf

I lost an item that I paid for with my platinum card a few years ago and through the insurance I was able to get it reimbursed so that I could buy another one.

But I was reading the terms just now and the purchase protection wording seems to have changed from “loss, theft, or damage” to just “theft or damage”

Have they sneakily removed loss as a valid reason? Or am I losing my mind?

Anyone filed an insurance claim for this recently?

The PDS is here: https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/au/benefits/Platinum/PlatinumInsurance.pdf

Not sure mate .. someone will likely have a copy. That said, I believe the window for this category of coverage has always been 90 days from purchase (i.e. 3 months protection) .. so it is 'narrow' and wouldn't cover you years out irrespective of it being theft or loss .. hopefully someone has an old PDS so we can find out the answer to your question.

Not sure mate .. someone will likely have a copy. That said, I believe the window for this category of coverage has always been 90 days from purchase (i.e. 3 months protection) .. so it is 'narrow' and wouldn't cover you years out irrespective of it being theft or loss .. hopefully someone has an old PDS so we can find out the answer to your question.
Sorry should have said that I have lost something else again recently that falls within the 90 days.

You're correct that it has always been 90 days, but I swear it used to cover loss as well, not just theft and damage. Would be interesting to see the old version of the PDS to confirm this has been removed.

I thought "loss" had also been removed but I recently made a claim where I "lost" an item I'd bought with my card within 90days and they paid the claim less the excess. Was pleasantly surprised.
Oh that's great to hear, I might try to submit one anyway and see what happens.

When was this? And did you have to submit a police report or anything? I definitely know mine wasn't stolen so no point in me filing a report lol

It definitely used to cover loss. I had purchased some NC headphones for my brother. Within 90 days he left them on a flight. Claim was made and paid out. Although you might suggest they were stolen given the airline didn't have them.

When was this? And did you have to submit a police report or anything? I definitely know mine wasn't stolen so no point in me filing a report lo
From memory, it was about 2 months ago. I didn't need to submit a police report - might be due to the nature of my loss and who I reported it to.

Might have to report the loss to the police depending on what the item is - I believe there is a police website for all that and you get issued with a reference number just in case it does turn up but also as your proof of having reported it for your insurance claim.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back