Declined credit card despite sign for surcharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle

Established Member
What would you do in this situation?

A while ago, some friends of my parents came to Melbourne for a visit. The 30 or so of them went to I **** Pho on Victoria Street for lunch. Before ordering, my mum asked if they took credit cards. The lady, which I presumed to be the owner, pointed to a sign at the cash register which says 50c surcharge for all transactions.

As host, my mum went to the cash register to pay. The bill came to $300 or thereabouts. It was also during this time her friends were fighting with her to pay. They had cash at the ready. Mum won the battle and proceeded to pay. When mum pulled out the credit card, the owner then said to her that her friends had cash. Mum pointed to the sign but the owner repeated her line. Mum, being the non argumentative towards outsiders type and not wanting to cause a scene in front of her friends, reluctantly paid in cash.

Want to hear your thoughts. Leave a bad review on Zomato? Contact Visa? Never visit again? Tax office?

I would have just said that if they wanted to be paid, it would be by credit card, otherwise everybody would be leaving, because the only reason they dined there (or the main reason) was that they accepted credit card, which they confirmed before ordering - and when ordering, they did so with the knowledge that the bill could be settled by credit card.

I'd consider leaving a phone number - "I've offered to pay you several times now. You don't seem interested in accepting the payment methods you advertised before securing the sale, so when you do want to get paid, you can reach me here. Remember, I'm trying to give you money - yet you don't seem to want it."

(Can't imagine any issued with police - you're not stealing as you'd attempted to pay the bill several times using a payment method known to be accepted before entering into the sale, which was refused.)

I have no tolerance for this kind of cough and would happily give the owner an earful.

Any reason why you've censored the business name?

By the description of the restaurant and the nature of the occurrence, ie 30 people having a meal worth $10 each and sorting cash at the table, it really should be no surprise that the owner insisted on cash. Incorrect, but life isn't always as you expect. The matter is well past. Put it down to experience and don't go there again.

If you really wanted to, Fair Trading Victoria would have the right jurisdiction over this.

But probably not worth the effort for what is a matter in the past. Perhaps a factual / bad review will be in order.

Still though the 50c surchage seems cheap for the entire bill... they were probably thinking 50c per transaction typically (~$10-$20)... didn't expect it to go to $300 (which is stupid of them of course)

Why can't small business owners get it that payment of the bill is still part of the customer experience. For some restaurants after the last item is served any semblance of customer service stops prematurely, and jeopardises that customer returning. It's like, "well you owe us now so we can treat you as indebted".

Thanks for the replies. Yes I know it's not something worth worrying about. But since I couldn't fall asleep last night, I thought I would start the discussion topic. Had I been there, the outcome might be different.

A 1% surcharge, min 50% might be smarter.
Still given margins on food seems silly to decline a card over $2.50 or less.
I'd think in most cases they'd lose more in the tip

Merchants want the best of both worlds and no fees. Its very annoying. If you go to cheap places then stuff like this happens. Cheap restaurants don't want to take cards, but they do and they resent it.

In this case if it was me, I would push back and say "take it or leave it". In the case of you Mother, well its done now. I wouldn't go back.

I would have insisted on the payment method that is supposed to be accepted.

The suburb we live in has just had a big new shopping center extention, we went for the first time on Friday - ate at the sushi train - they took visa and mastercard - I asked about Amex - no we dont take it. I said nicely that we lived on the American Express card and if they accepted it we would eat there more often - and that we would be happy to pay the surcharge - i then said your business - up to you - nothing like telling a small business owner about how to create a win for them and a win for their customer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back