D-Day 5 August 2017 - Bye bye ANZ's AMEX card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it really annoying as I'd set up multiple accounts using AMEX. I'm thinking of cancelling it. I've just signed up for a pure Amex card. I also have Westpac so once I've transferred everything to the new Amex card I'll cancel ANZ.

I made the most of it by calling to cancel and got offered 1extra point per dollar for 3months on amex and visa (obviously amex finished today) but got 45k worth of spending through the amex before it stopped today so a bit over 110,000 qf points! :)

Haven't heard from AMEX, about a replacement from them. I would have thought that they would have made an offer.

I'm really curious to see if they remove themselves from my Apple Pay automatically. As I understand it, in theory they should.

Sad times, I agree. I also had the extra 1 pt / $ on my cards after I rang up to complain about the changes. At 2.5pts/$ the anz Amex was a good earner for the last two months of its life!

I rang last week to advise of pending cancellation of my ANZ Amex Black card thinking they might offer some incentive to stay but no dice - just told me how to go about it. Annual fee is due 9/9 and I was hoping they might waive it for at least 1 year so I could use Veloce lounge access overseas later in September. Cards have been snipped. Have now applied for Qantas cash credit card with 60,000 bonus points. Only downside is dealing with Citibank which is not always a pleasant experience.

Once my statement posted and the points were showing in QFF, I paid the outstanding balance and rang ANZ to cancel my Platinum cards. I put at least 70K p.a through the cards, so I was hoping they might make some reasonable attempt to retain me as a 20 year long customer. ;)

Their only offer was 5000 QFF points to keep it until the renewal date in November.... :shock: That is pretty inconsequential in big picture terms, so I went ahead with immediate cancellation. :D

Westpac Black and QANTAS Money Premier cards are already up and running, with an AMEX gold (no fee) for back-up, so will see how they pan out...... and wait for new offers once the dust settles in the "new deal" card market place!

I rang last week to advise of pending cancellation of my ANZ Amex Black card thinking they might offer some incentive to stay but no dice - just told me how to go about it. Annual fee is due 9/9 and I was hoping they might waive it for at least 1 year so I could use Veloce lounge access overseas later in September. Cards have been snipped. Have now applied for Qantas cash credit card with 60,000 bonus points. Only downside is dealing with Citibank which is not always a pleasant experience.

Did you receive a pro rata refund on the annual fee?

I didn't bother asking.... they'd given me double points for the last statement period, so I wasn't out to nickel and dime them.

I was dissapointed with the loss of ANZ Amex and the points cap.

However - 1pt for ANZ Visa ... not too bad!

Isn't it 1.5 reward points per dollar which equals .75 velocity points per dollar?

Isn't it 1.5 reward points per dollar which equals .75 velocity points per dollar?

1) Yes, it also depends which card (restating data below)
2) While base earning of Virgin & Qantas points is the same per $1, ANZ & Virgin offer regular 15% and higher transfer bonuses, making the Virgin earn higher per $1.

For all ANZ Rewards:
2 ANZ reward points = 1 Virgin Australia Velocity point.
3 ANZ reward points = 1 Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer mile.
3 ANZ reward points = 1 Cathay Pacific Asia Mile

See webpage @ anz.com.au/personal/credit-cards/rewards/

ANZ Rewards .............1.0 ANZ Rewards per $1 upto $1000 per statement, then 0.5 ANZ Reward points (0.5 Virgin pt per $1) With frequent 15%+ transfer bonus.
ANZ Rewards Travel.....1.5 ANZ Rewards per $1 upto $2000 per statement, then 0.5 ANZ Reward points(0.75 Virgin pt per $1) With frequent 15%+ transfer bonus.
ANZ Rewards Platinum.1.5 ANZ Rewards per $1 upto $2000 per statement, then 0.5 ANZ Reward points (0.75 Virgin pt per $1) With frequent 15%+ transfer bonus.
ANZ Rewards Black .....2.0 ANZ Rewards per $1 upto $5000 per statement, then 1.0 ANZ Reward points (1.00 Virgin pt per $1) With frequent 15% + transfer bonus.

See webpage @ anz.com.au/personal/credit-cards/frequent-flyer/

ANZ Frequent Flyer................0.5 Qantas FF pts per $1 upto $500 per statement, then 0.25 ANZ Reward points (0.5 Qantas pt per $1) No transfer bonus, points swept to Qantas monthly.
ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum.0.75 Qantas FF pts per $1 upto $3000 per statement, then 0.5 ANZ Reward points (0.75 Qantas pt per $1) No transfer bonus, points swept to Qantas monthly.
ANZ Frequent Flyer Black .......1.0 Qantas FF pts per $1 upto $7500 per statement, then 0.5 ANZ Reward points (1.0 Qantas pt per $1) No transfer bonus, points swept to Qantas monthly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back