Status
Not open for further replies.

kcoulson

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
Hi,
I know that technology isn't 100%, and occasionally a credit card will have problems. I have a DJ Amex, bank amex and a Velocity Plat Amex. Hubby also has some AMEX cards, including his recently acquired Amex Edge. I got a supplementary card for the Edge, and decided to use it this afternoon for around $500 at Coles. I had used this card a couple of times (including last week, when it wanted a signature instead of a PIN). Yesterday I grabbed the milk at Coles with no problem. Today - declined. Tried again - declined. I want the 3 points per dollar, so rather than pull out a multitude of other cards I persisted. I rang Amex from the self-service section on a busy afternoon at Coles (bad mistake). After going through the ID process, they told me that I had triggered a fraud check (with my $500 purchase) - I was transferred to the appropriate section of AMEX (AND ANOTHER ID check). They told me that my card would now work. I hung up. Tried again - declined. Tried again - declined. I rang AMEX again - ID process again. Sorry, they will arrange a callback tomorrow. HANDY! Very Handy to get a callback the next day when I am at the checkout at Coles. Went home rang AMEX, who offered me a callback tomorrow to solve. Spent 45minutes at the checkout at Coles - a little embarrassing.

Though about sending Hubby into Coles to buy groceries with his AMEX (the one that I have the supplementary Edge for) - really inconvenient. So used another card. Missed a lot of points - frustrating.

In the email that I (or the principal card holder), would compose to AMEX, I would say tell them that 45 mins on the phone and the loss of points is good grounds for them to pay some points as compensation for the gross inconvenience and embarrassment when trying to buy groceries for your family's dinner in your busy life etc. Should work a treat. ;)

Hi,
I know that technology isn't 100%, and occasionally a credit card will have problems. I have a DJ Amex, bank amex and a Velocity Plat Amex. Hubby also has some AMEX cards, including his recently acquired Amex Edge. I got a supplementary card for the Edge, and decided to use it this afternoon for around $500 at Coles. I had used this card a couple of times (including last week, when it wanted a signature instead of a PIN). Yesterday I grabbed the milk at Coles with no problem. Today - declined. Tried again - declined. I want the 3 points per dollar, so rather than pull out a multitude of other cards I persisted. I rang Amex from the self-service section on a busy afternoon at Coles (bad mistake). After going through the ID process, they told me that I had triggered a fraud check (with my $500 purchase) - I was transferred to the appropriate section of AMEX (AND ANOTHER ID check). They told me that my card would now work. I hung up. Tried again - declined. Tried again - declined. I rang AMEX again - ID process again. Sorry, they will arrange a callback tomorrow. HANDY! Very Handy to get a callback the next day when I am at the checkout at Coles. Went home rang AMEX, who offered me a callback tomorrow to solve. Spent 45minutes at the checkout at Coles - a little embarrassing.

Though about sending Hubby into Coles to buy groceries with his AMEX (the one that I have the supplementary Edge for) - really inconvenient. So used another card. Missed a lot of points - frustrating.

Sharing my experience when I do multiple large transactions, that I get a txt on my phone to check whether they're legit. I reply with a "yes" and that's all that was required. Anyone else have this experience?

Yes, I set it up to sms me for transactions > $100 or thereabouts. I never reply though and it doesn't seem to be required.

Sharing my experience when I do multiple large transactions, that I get a txt on my phone to check whether they're legit. I reply with a "yes" and that's all that was required. Anyone else have this experience?

I've found with my edge and my wife's supplementary edge the last few weeks, it's been asking for a signature every time we use paywave function at a number of Coles stores. Not a big deal but strange. Otherwise, 3 ppd are great.
Whilst they have a number of cards with different bonus categories like supermarket, fuel and travel spend. Wish, in recognition of the annual fee on the platinum charge card, they would also add the supermarket and fuel bonuses so we can just do it all with the one card. Save our better halves from the tweaking aspects of our points affliction :)

Resolved this morning - they offered me 2000 bonus points to apologise. I didn't receive the promised callback - I had to call them. Good result though!

Resolved this morning - they offered me 2000 bonus points to apologise. I didn't receive the promised callback - I had to call them. Good result though!

It is actually quite common and yes very annoying but I wouldn't call them back from the checkout. No chance of them sorting it out straight away. It would probably get declined again which is what happened to you.

Mostly been happening because people purchase large volumes of gift cards (eg Dick smith when they have the special on)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back