Thanks.v I'll call covermore today too"I'll post a comprehensive account of my experience with Cover-More when I receive my refund, hopefully within a week or so. But a full refund was indicated as one of my three alternatives, and that was what I chose.
And, as i said in my initial post, that is what AAMI gave me - no questions asked."
Since my last post (quoted above) I have received my full refund from Cover-More. They were prompt and true to their word. Unlike AAMI they were not easy to contact. Waiting times to either talk to an operator or get onto live chat were OTT, and at one point on chat my waiting time showed 13 mins, then inexplicably slipped back to 41 minutes. I stuck it out.
Once I got on they were fine. They gave me 3 alternatives whcih unfortunately I didn't write down, but one was a full credit and one was a full refund. It was the latter that I was after. The operator indicated that she wanted my assurance that I had no intention of lodging a claim on the policy. I had no problem assuring her of that, and it was plain sailing after that. My credit card was recredited within 7 days as promised.
Cover-More had previously ignored my request via online form apart from an email acknowledging receipt of it and promising to get back to me within 2 working days. They didn't. I then sent their email back to them requesting a response (and was careful to use an address other than the "no-reply" one). Same response = no response. I then typed and posted them a letter. Ditto.
The moral of the story appears to be that you must communicate with a real person who can communicate with you on the spot.
Neither AAMI nor Cover-More wanted any sort of fee or % - full refunds were provided in both cases.
Good luck everyone. I hope this is helpful.
I took out a TI policy through Columbus Direct in January for travel to NZ planned for July. Trip is now cancelled and I have refunds either paid or pending payment for all reservations, less $35 admin fee for my accommodation deposit that I had paid (which I agree is a reasonable amount to cover their admin costs). So I emailed Columbus Direct requesting cancellation of my travel insurance policy. I received a very prompt response offering a refund of about 65% of the premium amount I had paid, which I accepted. I then received confirmation that the premium has been cancelled and refund processed and funds should appear on the credit card statement withing 3-5 business days.
Pretty fair and reasonable outcome in my opinion. I do not expect a 100% refund in these circumstances, since the policy was active for 5 months covering all pre-trip risks. In the end I did not need to make any claims under the policy to receive refunds for the flights, accommodation etc., and the admin fee held for teh cancelled accommodation was reasonable and less than the travel insurance excess anyway.
Thanks for everyone's contribution to this thread. Without reading this thread I would not have been aware that I was able to request to cancel my policy for a partial refund.
I will be very interested to see how you get on and how you worded your request for a refund. My policy was for comprehensive. Still waiting on an answer to a request for a review due to the DEFAT level 4 restriction.I've applied to NIB for a refund of my annual policy which was due to start in August.Email response indicates I can change the dates of the policy. but didn't respond directly to my request for a refund.
FYI, here is my original email requesting the refund. As I indicated they have offered 'change of dates'. I'll take this if it is all that I can get, but I am pushing for the refund.I will be very interested to see how you get on and how you worded your request for a refund. My policy was for comprehensive. Still waiting on an answer to a request for a review due to the DEFAT level 4 restriction.
No response from NIB. Sent another email reminding them that this is now a junk policy and referring them to their PDS.FYI, here is my original email requesting the refund. As I indicated they have offered 'change of dates'. I'll take this if it is all that I can get, but I am pushing for the refund.
I refer to policy number xx_xx_X. This was an annual policy due to commence on 2 August 2020. You would be aware that the Australian government is currently restricting all international travel. Earlier this week all of our international flights were cancelled by Qantas. Therefore we are unable to travel internationally for the foreseeable future and this policy is redundant.
On this basis I request that you provide a full refund for this policy ($675)."
No response from NIB. Sent another email reminding them that this is now a junk policy and referring them to their PDS.