Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Credit for Cancelled Free Amex flight

Nicholas Wood

Hi All,

So about 2 weeks before everything in VIC started to turn pear shaped I redeemed my free Amex flight BNE-MEL for the weekend of 4th October hoping to attend an event. Following the redemption I cancelled my AMEX card which was due for renewal with obvious uncertainty re Virgin, Velocity, and flying in general.

Obviously I won't be flying into VIC any time soon and wondering if anyone is aware of my options regarding a credit for this flight? Are Virgin likely to issue a travel bank to the value of my original flight or am I best to pick a date at some point in 2021 and request my flight be changed to future dates?

Cheers for any advice!

MH_fan

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
I had my Velocity Amex flights in June cancelled by VA due to the border closures. I rang Amex but they redirected me to VA, saying that VA deals with it now especially since the tickets had been issued. Anyway, I was told by VA that those flights are "queued for action" once VA is out of administration, which should be next month The value of the cancelled flights will be put into credit (possibly travelbank) which we can then use.

nickykim

I have the return portion of a cancelled Amex redemption flight owing - I haven't checked recently but right from the start I could see it sitting in my Velocity account as a weird non-detailed booking for October 2020. I will contact Virgin at some stage in September to double check what will happen next...

nickykim

After some messing around - I have a replacement flight booked for September 2021. Amex are charging $40 for this change! I couldn’t be bothered making everybody unhappy and spending 30 minutes of my time arguing that this charge shouldn’t apply.

blackcat20

Enthusiast
I had my Velocity Amex flights in June cancelled by VA due to the border closures. I rang Amex but they redirected me to VA, saying that VA deals with it now especially since the tickets had been issued. Anyway, I was told by VA that those flights are "queued for action" once VA is out of administration, which should be next month The value of the cancelled flights will be put into credit (possibly travelbank) which we can then use.
We were given a similar spiel, after originally being told the flight would be returned to credit within six weeks (an April booking). I'll be interested to see if it returns a as a "free flight" or as a credit for what we booked.

nickykim

I think my flight was more problematic because I had already used the first flight. I was told that I needed to sort this out before the beginning of October and if I didn’t the flight would be lost...

blackcat20

Enthusiast
Just received an email stating that our comp flight has been reinstated, so we now have two to use by the end of our Amex year.

MH_fan

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
I got the email from them this morning. They've re-instated the 2 that were affected by the border closures and I have a 3rd one for my new anniversary year. All of them have to be used by Sep next year.

The Qantas Premier Platinum Card delivers up to 100k Qantas Points, 75 bonus Status Credits, complimentary lounge invitations and travel insurance. All this with a reduced first-year annual fee of $199.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer