Credit card without foreign/overseas transaction fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

russ

Hi

I am spending about 3 months a year in the USA and am getting slugged by 3% overseas transaction fees. I am looking around for a card that does not have this fee. So far it looks like:
  • 28 degree
  • Citibank Plus
  • Bankwest Platinum

Is there any other card I should consider?

Thank you for your help

28° is a Credit Card (Mastercard)
CityBank Plus is a Debit Card (Visa)

Neither have annual fees.

The Bankwest Platinum is a Credit Card (Mastercard) with a $130 annual fee.

I know of no other product available to the general public with no Foreign Transaction Fees.

28° is a Credit Card (Mastercard)
CityBank Plus is a Debit Card (Visa)

Neither have annual fees.

The Bankwest Platinum is a Credit Card (Mastercard) with a $130 annual fee.
Please note there are several BW credit cards which all have zero foreign transactions fees if you are eligible for platinum:
More mastercard: $1= "up to" 2 reward points, $130 fee
Qantas mastercard: $1 = 1 QFF point, $160 fee
Zero mastercard: no points, $0 fee.
Breeze Mastercard: no points, $99 fee (11.99% interest)

+2 add me in to the list.

Yes I have these two cards but looks like the bank west needs looking into for comparisons sake

The zero card is basically the 28 degrees card with a more generous credit limit and some handy insurance.

And a better website ... we find the bankwest site shows transactions very quickly plus shows the original currency charge amount which is very useful when you are travelling and punching the card hard and fast.

And a better website ... we find the bankwest site shows transactions very quickly plus shows the original currency charge amount which is very useful when you are travelling and punching the card hard and fast.

The mobile site has improved somewhat for the 28 degrees, including showing pending transactions much faster. It still does not show the original $ amount in the foreign currency.

Also endorse the BW cards.

As an aside, I have a Lloyds debit visa for my UK account which charges 2 fees when used internationally - a Minimum £1 fee up to 1.5% plus a 2.99% international transaction rate + a ripoff FX conversion rate from £.

I learned the the hard way to hit an ATM in UK then convert to Euros and pay cash in Europe.

Lloyds are definitely raising the revenue to pay back the Pommy Govt for their bailout!!

the only good news is I transferred a chunk of cash to UK during the GFC currency collapses so I am about 30% in the money on the current £ & € exchange rates on that account.

One buyer beware on comparing cards is the FX conversion rate they offer if no "transaction" costs. Not easy to compare on websites so often best to call all relevant banks one after the other to find out what rate they offer that day.

Can confuse their help desk staff who often have never been asked this question before :)

The mobile site has improved somewhat for the 28 degrees, including showing pending transactions much faster. It still does not show the original $ amount in the foreign currency.

Not showing the original amount in the foreign currency annoys me so much. The old 28 degrees website use to have it but not the newer one. No idea why they dropped it.

And anotehr +1 for the 28° and Citibank combo.

Also endorse the BW cards.

As an aside, I have a Lloyds debit visa for my UK account which charges 2 fees when used internationally - a Minimum £1 fee up to 1.5% plus a 2.99% international transaction rate + a ripoff FX conversion rate from £.

I learned the the hard way to hit an ATM in UK then convert to Euros and pay cash in Europe.

Lloyds are definitely raising the revenue to pay back the Pommy Govt for their bailout!!

the only good news is I transferred a chunk of cash to UK during the GFC currency collapses so I am about 30% in the money on the current £ & € exchange rates on that account.

One buyer beware on comparing cards is the FX conversion rate they offer if no "transaction" costs. Not easy to compare on websites so often best to call all relevant banks one after the other to find out what rate they offer that day.

Can confuse their help desk staff who often have never been asked this question before :)

One questions the reliability of the answer alway prefer something in black or white written down is much better than .... Oh but they told me so over the phone.....

Sent from my iPhone using AustFreqFly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back