Credit card surcharge vs BPAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aseaseth

Being new to rewards cards, wanted to hear others thoughts on if they choose the credit card option (with a surcharge) and earn points or go with an alternate payment without a surcharge

Thanks

It really depends on how much the surcharge is, and the purchase value.
I'm assuming you are referring to QF - where BPay is free while they have a A$30 charge for international flights.
I would normally choose BPay over paying $30 (per passenger!!), unless I'm booking a very long J class flight which costs thousands, then the $30 doesn't seem to much anymore.
However for flights costing $350 (1 way to SIN, for example), $30 is almost 10% of the cost, so I wouldn't pick that option.

Well for Qantas I just buy and use a gift voucher (using my credit card) and then pay the rest of the fare with credit card with no credit card surcharge. Win/win all round for me.

Of course there are a couple of fare types you can't use a gift voucher such as a multi-city ticket but it works most of the time.

In particular I was wondering about bills - phone, internet, utilities, etc.

Sub 1% I will still pay on Visa/Mastercard but it has to earn at least 1 airline point per dollar (WW EDR Mastercard is one such card). More than that, I start looking at other options including BPay from my transaction account.

In particular I was wondering about bills - phone, internet, utilities, etc.
I set up my Amex on Paypal and pay using that sometimes via PostBillPay and other times directly. It often gets around the cc charge problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back