Co-branded hotel CC's in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock86

Established Member
Hi all,

Really just a discussion point as we only have 1 (HHonors) co-branded hotel credit card available in Australia.

Now I understand you can transfer AMEX points to hotel loyalty programs, but do people think we will start seeing more hotel co-branded cards in Australia similar to the US, or AMEX will be it?

I'd love to see a the new SPG/Marriott/Ritz have a co-branded card in the future, as there are more and more properties popping up in Australia under these brands.

Personally I like the flexibility of using Amex points, as you can transfer them to hotel programs or airlines as required.

Having said that, a Marriott/SPG/Ritz card could be attractive if the earn rate was better than what is currently available via Amex transfers. A card that earns 1 SPG point per $1 (3 Marriott points per $1 under the new program from August) could prove popular.

I think one of the challenges in making these cards worth carrying is the anaemic interchange for MC & Visa. The Macquarie card is pretty good but for the anaemic earn rate.

I too like the flexibility of Amex MR. Would need to be something really special to get me to switch from a flexible points currency like MR.

I've only heard of one other chain that may have looked at it, and nothing seems to have come of that. Perhaps the market in Australia for such a card is too small to make it viable.

Personally I like the flexibility of using Amex points, as you can transfer them to hotel programs or airlines as required.

Having said that, a Marriott/SPG/Ritz card could be attractive if the earn rate was better than what is currently available via Amex transfers. A card that earns 1 SPG point per $1 (3 Marriott points per $1 under the new program from August) could prove popular.

AMEX is great, I agree.

But a card like the one Chase is about to issue for the new combined Marriott program in the US where you get 2 Marriott ppd and the ability to obtain gold after a certain spend, that would be an enticing card to hold in addition to an AMEX card IMO.

I'll probably go against the grain here in saying I wouldn't mind an IHG co-branded card. In other locales such a card provides Platinum as a benefit, and while I already have Platinum anyway, I think that's good value.

I would be interested in a Marriott card post-combined program, but it's less about the points earning potential and more about the complimentary status for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back