Citibank Signature "Free for Life" till 31st October 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I took up the 80K points, $299 discounted fee for life option a few months ago

Is it possible and/or easy to get the free for life offer?

So I took up the 80K points, $299 discounted fee for life option a few months ago

Is it possible and/or easy to get the free for life offer?
So that was easy, answered my own question. Other than the call centre not being aware that the offer had been relaunched, they just went ahead and converted my account to free for life. Only took a couple of minutes

I thought nick got 80K points and free fee for life. Am I wrong ? :)

I would guess yes and yes............but will have also paid the $299.

So no "luck" if so.

Nothing to stop you if you havea FFL card to grab the next Bonus Points for a Yearly Fee offer. There is one on the Qantas Website now for %OK witha reduced yearly fee.

I did pay the $299 fee for the first year and didn't try and get that refunded. A small price to pay for the 80K in points

Very happy to have this card for life now. A free 1/1 Visa card with some nice features complements my CBA Diamond Amex also fee free. I can chase other offers knowing that these 2 cards are always in my wallet for backup

I applied and have gone through the whole providing documents requirement..It amazes me how some card companies have quick and efficient turn around on approval / confirmations and citi in my case is woeful...Light at the end is the fee free for life

Having some fun with Citi this afternoon.

I took up the $299 80K bonus point offer earlier in the year hoping I could later change to fee free for life.

Called up to "cancel" and was offered a credit of $299 by the lovely account management guy to keep it open:

Me: "That's nice, but I saw thing fee free for life offer on the internet. Can you do that for me?"

[He went away and came back] "Yes I think I can do that for you."

Me: "With a credit for the annual fee still?"

"I don't know about that, let me check... [comes back] I will need to have it confirmed by my manager, but I should be able to do a half credit and transfer you to fee free for life. Let me check."

"I've credited half the annual fee to your account now, but I can't immediately put you on fee free for life because you received a bonus when you signed up which the fee free offer doesn't have. I will still try to do it for you and will call you back within 5 days. If I can't do it, I hope I can convince you to keep the account by giving you a credit so its fee free through to 2016."

I might have pushed my luck a bit too hard ! I'm not holding my breath for the call back.

Ha

The bit I love is you can't have the "fee free" option but we will credit you the $299 so you have have the card fee free..

Perfect

What are the good things about the citibank free for life card?

The link doesn't really say much to me...

1) QFF is $49 ish?
2) Citibank rewards = ???
3) save another $300 for life...

Other then qff, where else do the points actually goto?

Fee free for spending overseas? (Currency rate fees)

coles525 you can take 1pt/$ for QF direct sweep, or opt out of QF and have the Citi Rewards program which gives you $1 = 1.5pts citi pts = 1 VA or SQ pt at your option. It also transfers to CX but I haven't looked into that.

It doesn't pay on ATO, but other than that it's pretty good because as far as I know, there's no other card that has no annual fee and $1= 1 pt for QF, VA and SQ.

O/S spending is a 3% currency conversion fee as I recall, but you get 4 pts/$ = 2.66 VA/SQ points so up to you whether that's worth it or use a card with no currency conversion.

80k has changed to 60k bonus points still for $299 as far as I can see. was struggling to find a VA 1:1 earn now from this thread I know why, there are none other that this (indirect) one. still seems a good deal, wonder if they will change it to fee free afterwards also!

80k has changed to 60k bonus points still for $299 as far as I can see. was struggling to find a VA 1:1 earn now from this thread I know why, there are none other that this (indirect) one. still seems a good deal, wonder if they will change it to fee free afterwards also!

Velocity high flyer card is a rebranded citi card that gives 1.25 VA pts/$ direct earn. $289 annual fee.

Citi actually called me back ! They confirmed my signature is now fee free for life as well as refunding $150 of the $299 annual fee I paid in March this year.

Of course I also get to keep the 80K QF bonus points on sign on I received in April. Pleasure doing business Citi.

It helped that I've previously held a Citi issued card (Suncorp) that's always been in good standing, but I got this without really pushing - just saying I wanted to cancel and then asking for what I wanted when they put me through to the retention team. I reckon someone could go one better and get the full $299 back if you wanted to push them.

Next stop - fee free Citi Select (or at least a significant reduction in fee)? Might try my luck in 6 or 12 months.

I got the $299 plus 80k bonus points in March and rang today to try and get the fee free for life but they said because the card wasn't 9 months old then I am not able to apply for the fee free for life - after reading this I might ring them again later and see if I get someone different. I love this forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back