Citibank Plus or ING Orange Everyday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock86

Established Member
Anyone used both of these? And what are people's thought's & experiences between them if they have.

We're travelling to the US which will be the main reason of opening one of these accounts, Citibank ATM's don't look too hard to find over there but the ING payback on all fee's looks like a great feature (requirements look fairly easy to meet as well).

Multiple threads on basically this exact topic already exist rock
Is that contained within threads? Ahhh yes, maybe I should have done a search with just 'citibank' and 'ing' in the field - my first few searches didn't result in anything of note (but contained more criteria).

Please delete this thread @Cruiser Elite - apologies!!

I have the Citibank card so i can only comment on that.

There are Citibank ATMs everywhere in big US cities.

A few years ago, they had Citibank ATMs in all the 7/11s as well.

I've never had a problem with them.

Citibank has served me well but in some countries, all ATMS charge fees so that's where the ING card comes in handy. And in other countries, you have comfort in knowing that you can use the ING card anywhere and not worry about ATM fees as you will be reimbursed.

And there are also things like Transferwise and Revolut debit cards

Reactions: RB
I used ING on my last trip to the US. It was great. In the past I have used Citibank but I find it a pain having to look for a 7/11 . With ING card I just went to any ATM.

If you can meet the ING monthly deposit and transaction requirements it's the better card.

If you'd prefer to just use the card for travel then Citi.

I've now got an ing account (unused for ages), which I've spend 5x individual supermarket purchsses (80c each). I chose payment option being visa debit i think (can't remember, only 3 days ago).

All are still pending. How long could it take to finalise? Away in 2 weeks.

I ended up going with ING, qualified for next month (when we head off) and then will qualify again for December given we'll be using the card when we're away.

I've now got an ing account (unused for ages), which I've spend 5x individual supermarket purchsses (80c each). I chose payment option being visa debit i think (can't remember, only 3 days ago).

I found some payments took 4 days to settle, but once they settled it updated the account instantly to say that you are qualified for rebates in the next month.

I have used ING in several countries, It is fantastic to NOT have to find a specific ATM. I have even used it at the really expensive ATMs in some hotel lobbies and got all charges refunded. Great card

Pretty standard. 2-3 days most of the time. Then generally one more day for it to show on your app as completed for that month.

So 2 weeks is plenty of time.

Anyone used both of these? And what are people's thought's & experiences between them if they have.
I use both for travel and neither are my main bank account.
(actually use Macquarie too)

you cant have enough Debit and Credit cards for travelling. Need backups for refused transactions, lost wallets, stolen bags, drunken misadventures, and bad luck. I never leave home without at least 6 altogether.

you cant have enough Debit and Credit cards for travelling. Need backups for refused transactions, lost wallets, stolen bags, drunken misadventures, and bad luck. I never leave home without at least 6 altogether.
Six is pretty extreme. I usually have three :D

I have both Debit Cards for back-up as well. Also wife has some in her name and I have mine (Just in case account gets frozen which happened to us once when we were cycling through Austria with our Westpac Bank Account).

Apart from back -up we also do it for theft. Each card will only have say $500 to $1000 on it and so if stolen (or worse if we were assaulted at an ATM) it limits any potential loss. For convenience I will pre-schedule top ups to arrive on my Citiplus if I am in an internet poor trip.

We also had one ATM in a remote rural part of Croatia where the CitiPlus did not work and the ING did.

We also have multiple CC just in case but mainly use the ANZ Traveller for its lack of currency fees and great exchange rate (Other CCs might skim 3% or so).

PS: Also note that in parts of Africa that not all countries have both Mastercard and VISA.

UBank and HSBC also have debit cards with no ATM or exchange fees. Definitely a good idea to have at least one Visa and one Mastercard.

Six is pretty extreme. I usually have three :D

well we have cards/accounts for our money, her money, my money, and my cunning kick money. I always have at least 3 cards in my wallet, another somehere else (sock, jocks etc) and rest back in the hotel. and the cunning kick carefully hidden where she cant find it.

then of course there is the Diners if anyone accepts it, and another card just for rental cars, hotels deposit.

then need at least one more for luck.

it all adds up. But yeah, if travelling on my own, then probably 3 might do it.

On a recent trip to South America I used the ING, Citibank and HSBC cards for ATM withdraws and checked the XE.com exchange rate a short time after. All three cards performed very strongly giving me an exchange rate close to XE but were all subject to ATM fees. Those fees were refunded by ING and I saved $230 in the process.

The ING was a clear winner when it comes to the saving the fees but there was a couple of times that the Master Card was the only card that would work so travelling with both is advisable.

It was a huge relief getting some significant ATM fees refunded by ING when in the Philippines recently - though I neglected to make my purchases during the first month of my trip to activate the rebate for month two - so will be over to the Citi card for any last withdrawals before I'm home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back