Citibank Plus Card in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RB

Established Member
I have used the site search function but it doesn't bring up much specific on use of the card in Japan.
The son of a mate is travelling to Japan in Jan 2018 & I was hoping to provide some guidance on accessing his money while in Japan. Of people who have visited Japan in the last couple of years, is Citi Plus recommended. Reading seems to indicate that 7/11 machines are more commonplace & fee free?

I used the Citibank Plus debit card in Japan at the beginning of 2017. It only works in certain ATMs eg 7/11, Citibank

Last edited:
I have used my Citi debit card many times in Japan.

Once you collect your luggage and exit into arrivals, there is a Citi ATM for instant cash.

I have also used Seven Bank ATMs at 7-ELEVENs, Post Office ATMS (many have restricted hours), ATMs at AEON Malls and you can now use ATMs at Lawson stores.

Yeah, I'm there every year. Any ATMs that work with foreign cards are fine for the Citi debit. From your post I get the impression you may think only Citi ATMs are fee free with this card?
If so, it's actually every ATM that is fee free, unless the ATM itself charges a fee. Every one I have come across will warn of this, if it is the case.

I used my Citibank card extensively in Japan this year and was not charged fees once. The whole experience was very pleasant. One 7/11 ATM even played music while thanking me for doing business with them. The feeling of gratitude was mutual as I was getting cash for almost the spot rate with no fees whatsoever. :)

I can support the comments above - once you find ATMs that take foreign cards, the citibank plus account is perfect. 7/11 and post office are obvious choices and I found that all the shopping malls had ATMs that accepted foreign cards.

Reactions: RB
Hi all,

It is good to hear that Citibank cards can be used in Japan. Instead of receiving the VISA version of the citi plus account I received the Mastercard version. Does anyone have any experience or has had trouble withdrawing money with this version of the card?

Lookimg forward to the responses

Hi all,

It is good to hear that Citibank cards can be used in Japan. Instead of receiving the VISA version of the citi plus account I received the Mastercard version. Does anyone have any experience or has had trouble withdrawing money with this version of the card?

Lookimg forward to the responses

I've had no problems withdrawing money from ATMs in many different countries (including Japan) with my MasterCard Citibank debit.

Thanks for the confirmation everyone. What was the daily withdrawal limit for 7/11 ATMs? JP website mentioned 50,000 yen.

Thanks for the confirmation everyone. What was the daily withdrawal limit for 7/11 ATMs? JP website mentioned 50,000 yen.

I managed to withdraw 100,000 yen recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back