citibank following amex on reward points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey O'Neill

Established Member
Was just doing an 'audit" on my latest bill to see if citibank were crediting the correct number of points.

I noticed they seem to be following amex in awarding points on a per transaction basis where they round down to a whole dollar figure.

I can confirm I received points for my gas bill at the full rate so the card is a better option than amex paying half points.

So your gas heating bill or petrol bill is $10.90c and Amex round it down to 10 points, not round up to 11 points? And Cit do the same but they don't do the same but Amex are "half points"? Can you give a "for instance" please. Thanks.

To be fair for the lenders, they do say 1 point per $1.00, and they determine that 90cents isn't a dollar and I agree ;)

ANZ actually gives you 10.9 points if you spend $10.90. It's just when they forward the points to say QF, they send 10 first, leaving the 0.9 balance.

To be fair for the lenders, they do say 1 point per $1.00, and they determine that 90cents isn't a dollar and I agree ;)

ANZ actually gives you 10.9 points if you spend $10.90. It's just when they forward the points to say QF, they send 10 first, leaving the 0.9 balance.

You're pulling my leg. If Amex round the $10.90 down to 10 points, there's only 10 points to go into qantas' coffers. Surely?

depends. I know with ANZ they keep the < 1 point and add it to the next statement points balance

So your gas heating bill or petrol bill is $10.90c and Amex round it down to 10 points, not round up to 11 points? And Cit do the same but they don't do the same but Amex are "half points"? Can you give a "for instance" please. Thanks.

lets say you pay a $50.65 on citibank. If you have the plat card then you'd earn 50 reward points.

with Amex on the same 50.65 payment they also round down to 50 but only pay half points so you get just 25. similar if you pay any government fees eg rego or insurance.

Talking about co-incidences, I actually spent $10.90 on the weekend @ Woolworths using my AX Edge Card, and this is the points they gave me :(

14/06/2014 WOOLWORTHS 1248 TOWN HALL SYDNEY NSW $10.90 15 0 15 [base, bonus, total points]

It's those 3:2:1 cards so I should have received 30 points, not 15. 15 points is actually 1.5 points per $1.00 which is not how this card works. Crazy AX!

Agree with that, I tested a small of amount on Citi Signature, spent $3.5 and only got rewarded by 4.5 instead of 5.25.

citi doesnt show the pts awarded per transaction. It shows an aggregated amount. Do you guys use s spreadsheet to work it out?

citi doesnt show the pts awarded per transaction. It shows an aggregated amount. Do you guys use s spreadsheet to work it out?

Yeah. Spreadsheet is easiest. Use the rounddown function to bring the transaction value back to a whole dollar figure.

Note they put all forex spend in the bonus category.

I sent a internal message through online banking to question about their rewards scheme, although most of us here have found out how it works, below is the response from Citi:

Dear wxxnxs

Thank you for your email.

As per our Rewards Terms and Conditions, we allocate 1.5 points per AUD
$1 spent on domestic purchases and 4 points per $1 spent on
international purchases of the total value of an eligible transaction
which is debited to your account during the statement period. This means
a transaction for say $30.99 would only earn 45 points. The ?cents?
component of the transaction does not earn points.

Furthermore, we advise that only retail transactions earn points. Please
refer to the list below for the types of transactions that do not earn

- cash advances
- balance transfers
- special promotions
- fees
- purchases of foreign currency and travellers cheques
- foreign exchange and ATM/bank charges
- interest charges
- finance charges
- government charges
- insurance charges
- payments to Citibank loan accounts
- purchases in excess of limits on the account, transactions made in
operating a business and if the account is more than $10,000.00 in
credit only.

For any Rewards points redemptions or enquiries, you may call Citibank
Rewards Service Centre directly on 13 CITI (13 24 84). We are available
24 hours a day, seven days a week.

We hope this clarifies things for you.

If there's anything else we can do to assist you, please let us know and
we?ll be happy to help.

Thank you for using the Citibank Australia Website.

Yours sincerely,
Citibank Online Customer Service Centre
© Citigroup Pty Limited ABN 88 004 325 080 AFSL No. 238098 Australian
Credit Licence No. 238098
citibank.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back