Citibank chargeback after account closure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack_OC

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Does anyone know if it's possible to request a chargeback on a Citibank credit card after the account is closed? I'm still a Citibank customer, but the card account in question (a Prestige card) was closed just over a month ago. I'm guessing the answer is no, but thought I'd throw the question out there.

Clearly, Citibank didn't actually close the card if you had cancelled it.

And how would you know there's a charge if the account is closed?

The transaction in question was from before the account was closed. It was a legitimate transaction, for tickets to a live event. The event was initially postponed, and has now been cancelled, but the merchant is refusing to provide a refund. Instead they are just offering credit towards online events that they will be running, and that's not acceptable to me. I'm still pursuing it with the merchant but I'm interested to know if a chargeback is an option if that fails. I'd certainly have gone down that road if the card account was still open, but I'm not sure if that's possible after it was closed.

By the way, on a more general note, the following is part of CItibank's account closure T&Cs: "You will continue to be responsible for any transactions made before your account closure request and transactions that don’t require our authorisation such as direct debit transactions. These transactions may be posted after your account closure request and you will need to pay the amount owing." So it is actually perfectly possible for charges to appear after account closure. And of course you would know if that happens, because Citi would send you a bill!

Sounds like the normal dispute process will apply.
Chargeback these shady merchants trying to do credits!

Curiously - did the merchant charge your card after the event was cancelled?

Sounds like the normal dispute process will apply.
Chargeback these shady merchants trying to do credits!

Curiously - did the merchant charge your card after the event was cancelled?

No we booked the tickets months ago - pre COVID - and the card was charged at the time. The event was supposed to be in late March but was postponed at the time for obvious reasons. They said it would be rescheduled and tickets would remain valid - which was ok by us - but today they sent an email saying it was been cancelled completely. All of that is fair enough - obviously we know that circumstances at the moment are beyond everyone's control. However, it's clear that a refund is warranted IMHO.

No we booked the tickets months ago - pre COVID - and the card was charged at the time. The event was supposed to be in late March but was postponed at the time for obvious reasons. They said it would be rescheduled and tickets would remain valid - which was ok by us - but today they sent an email saying it was been cancelled completely. All of that is fair enough - obviously we know that circumstances at the moment are beyond everyone's control. However, it's clear that a refund is warranted IMHO.

Dispute it.

Airlines have issuer waivers on chargeback levels which is why disputing airline tickets is difficult as there is collusion between banks and card schemes.
Most airlines have chargeback rates over 10%. Put that into perspective - If your business has a 1% chargeback rate - the bank will close your merchant. 2% and you'll have fraud detectives on your tail.

I'm not aware that events companies enjoy the same level of protection.

i would call and do chargeback anyway if they wont comply call their customer service if they dont comply go to financial ind ombud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back