Citi Prestige - cancelled card = cancelled Priority Pass

Mr H

Established Member
I opened a Citi Prestige card in November and took out the Priority Pass membership that came with it. I met the spend target for the sign up bonus and cancelled the card when the points came through. I noticed today that my Priority Pass membership has been cancelled. That seems a wee bit unfair since I paid my full year's credit card fee - surely those accompanying benefits should last the full year too.

Anyway, just for info for anyone looking to take out this card in the future.

I opened a Citi Prestige card in November and took out the Priority Pass membership that came with it. I met the spend target for the sign up bonus and cancelled the card when the points came through. I noticed today that my Priority Pass membership has been cancelled. That seems a wee bit unfair since I paid my full year's credit card fee - surely those accompanying benefits should last the full year too.

Anyway, just for info for anyone looking to take out this card in the future.
You're entitled to it as a cardholder.

Once you stop being a cardholder, the benefits associated with being a cardholder also cease (same thing with luxury transfers, buy 3 get 4th free for hotels etc).

You're entitled to it as a cardholder.

Once you stop being a cardholder, the benefits associated with being a cardholder also cease (same thing with luxury transfers, buy 3 get 4th free for hotels etc).

But the terms and conditions say that the Priority Pass membership is "only valid up to its date of expiry" which was one year after it was granted. There is no mention of the membership being terminated if the card is cancelled. The membership of Priority Pass is phased in the terms and conditions as a discrete thing that a cardholder can obtain, not as a licence associated with continuing to hold the card. And the annual fee - which presumably covers these goodies - has been paid in full.

But the terms and conditions say that the Priority Pass membership is "only valid up to its date of expiry" which was one year after it was granted. There is no mention of the membership being terminated if the card is cancelled. The membership of Priority Pass is phased in the terms and conditions as a discrete thing that a cardholder can obtain, not as a licence associated with continuing to hold the card. And the annual fee - which presumably covers these goodies - has been paid in full.
Maybe, but that is to ignore the first condition: "This offer is applicable to Citi Prestige primary cardholders only." [emphasis added]

Simply put, the Priority Pass is linked to being a cardholder, not paying the annual fee.

Maybe, but that is to ignore the first condition: "This offer is applicable to Citi Prestige primary cardholders only." [emphasis added]

Simply put, the Priority Pass is linked to being a cardholder, not paying the annual fee.

Getting membership of Priority Pass is linked to being a cardholder, but once the membership is obtained, the relationship is surely between Priority Pass and the member. Citibank has no authority to intervene and have the membership cancelled. There is nothing in the terms and conditions that would give them that right and it is explicitly stated that the membership will run until the date of expiry on the (digital) membership card.

Getting membership of Priority Pass is linked to being a cardholder, but once the membership is obtained, the relationship is surely between Priority Pass and the member. Citibank has no authority to intervene and have the membership cancelled. There is nothing in the terms and conditions that would give them that right and it is explicitly stated that the membership will run until the date of expiry on the (digital) membership card.
They can if the offer is described as being "
Complimentary Priority Pass membership and unlimited lounge visits for Citi Prestige primary
cardholder and one
guest." [Again, emphasis added.] Your contract is with Citibank, not with Priority Pass.

They can if the offer is described as being "
Complimentary Priority Pass membership and unlimited lounge visits for Citi Prestige primary
cardholder and one
guest." [Again, emphasis added.] Your contract is with Citibank, not with Priority Pass.
Nothing there to indicate that the membership would terminate early if the card was cancelled - and the Citibank T&Cs say the member will be bound by the Priority Pass T&Cs, so not sure the contract is only with Citibank.

Your primary contract is definitely only with Citibank (technically, the contract to adhere to Priority Pass's T&Cs is a collateral contract in support of the primary contract with Citibank), and it's the primary contract that determines Priority Pass membership.

Citibank's T&Cs clearly indicate that Priority Pass membership is limited only to Citibank Prestige primary cardholders, which you ceased to be. It would've been different if they described the membership as a free annual Prestige membership to Priority Pass...

Your primary contract is definitely only with Citibank (technically, the contract to adhere to Priority Pass's T&Cs is a collateral contract in support of the primary contract with Citibank), and it's the primary contract that determines Priority Pass membership.

Citibank's T&Cs clearly indicate that Priority Pass membership is limited only to Citibank Prestige primary cardholders, which you ceased to be. It would've been different if they described the membership as a free annual Prestige membership to Priority Pass...

Whatever. It is not a biggy - I miss out on a mediocre lounge in Kishinev in May.

Whatever. It is not a biggy - I miss out on a mediocre lounge in Kishinev in May.
This has always been the case with any credit cards that offers PP. Once you cancel the credit card you forgo the PP. I found this out through Westpac a while back.

Not all.

I had PP through Mr Dragon. Cancelled card early in pandemic and PP kept working right through to expiry date (Jan this year).

Same with the dragons mulleted, flannelette wearing cousin.

Interestingly, I accidentally used that one instead of my unlimited PP about 2 months ago. Got in fine, and never got charged for the guest (given the associated credit card is closed).

Hi guys has anyone used the priority pass at Sydney International terminal 1? The terms say you can bring one guest into 'the house' lounge but additional guests will be charged at $32 USD per head. I am travelling with 3 other adults and an infant tomorrow evening and wondering is it worth paying the $64 for the other 2 adults for us all to go into the lounge?

Another option is just to go the mach2 (although PP website says its closed?) or peroni bar and use the $36 credit. The terms say I can get $72 aud worth of credit for me and 1 guest. Unsure if they will try and charge me to bring it additional guests or if we should simply go in separately.

Does anyone have any experience or advice? thanks

Hi guys has anyone used the priority pass at Sydney International terminal 1? The terms say you can bring one guest into 'the house' lounge but additional guests will be charged at $32 USD per head. I am travelling with 3 other adults and an infant tomorrow evening and wondering is it worth paying the $64 for the other 2 adults for us all to go into the lounge?

Another option is just to go the mach2 (although PP website says its closed?) or peroni bar and use the $36 credit. The terms say I can get $72 aud worth of credit for me and 1 guest. Unsure if they will try and charge me to bring it additional guests or if we should simply go in separately.

Does anyone have any experience or advice? thanks
Don't think the house lounge is worth it in my opinion as you have to pay $20 on top for the A-La-Carte menu as well. The $72 meal credit is a better option and does not matter how many guests are with you as it's capped at $72 and anything more with be charged to your cc. Hope that helps.

Don't think the house lounge is worth it in my opinion as you have to pay $20 on top for the A-La-Carte menu as well. The $72 meal credit is a better option and does not matter how many guests are with you as it's capped at $72 and anything more with be charged to your cc. Hope that helps.
Thanks, that answer my question, cheers mate
Post automatically merged:

Does anyone know if the mach2 bar is actually closed or is the peroni bar the only place the credit can be used in? I had heard you can spend the $72 and then just go to another bar and spend another $72...

Thanks, that answer my question, cheers mate
Post automatically merged:

Does anyone know if the mach2 bar is actually closed or is the peroni bar the only place the credit can be used in? I had heard you can spend the $72 and then just go to another bar and spend another $72...

Mach2 is open. I didn’t try to use the PP there. I did use the peroni bar for breakfast and it was fine (albeit expensive). The House isn’t doing table service at the moment.

Nothing stopping you going to Mach2 and then Peroni airside before briefly sticking your head into The House

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back