Citi cards - major changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolkid101

from pointhacks - major changes coming to earn rates on Citi cards - very disappointing

Citi overhauling earn rates across their rewards card range from June 2017 - here’s what’s changing - Point Hacks

the biggest changes for me with prestige card are

1. ‘Eligible Domestic Spend’ earn rate cut from 2 Citi Rewards to 1 Citi Rewards point per $
  2. International spend cut from 5 points per $ to 3 points per $
they have effectively HALVED the earn rate on a $700/annum card to now earn 0.5 KF/VFF per $ which is honestly pathetic.

even with the increase in "bonus categories" to 1.5 KFF per $ this is a horrible overall earn rate

i will most certainly drop my card when renewal comes up later this year.

Well, they will need to reduce the fee I presume for the Citi Prestige card

I currently pay A$350 p.a. I use this card mainly for international spend.... but I am unsure if I should continue with the Citi Prestige card going forward...

Will have to see what the banks and Amex come out with. $700 is a bit too much to pay with these changes I think.

That means I'll be dropping my Citi card come renewal time. Shame. It was a handy 1:1 QFF earner for places where AMEX isn't accepted.

Dropping mine now too, no value in the $700 annual fee. Just need to work out where to move my Citi points before my warehoused points drop to half their value. Not happy Jan!

no indication they are changing redemption rates, just earn rates.. having said that after their last debacle you never know

Dropping mine now too, no value in the $700 annual fee. Just need to work out where to move my Citi points before my warehoused points drop to half their value. Not happy Jan!

no indication they are changing redemption rates, just earn rates.. having said that after their last debacle you never know

Thanks for that....Still not great, I'm going to have to pay an annual fee to hold my points bucket and then find an uncapped reasonable earn rate card for my monthly spend

Well my Signature Infinite Visa is annual fee free. So I will keep it. I think at the moment I will wait until all the dust has settled, to see which card is most suitable for me. At least with no annual fee, I can justify keeping this as my Visa for now.

I may end up switching to CBA Diamond Visa (pending their changes) or Westpac Altitude Black Visa since I have home loan package with them anyway.

Well my Signature Infinite Visa is annual fee free. So I will keep it. I think at the moment I will wait until all the dust has settled, to see which card is most suitable for me. At least with no annual fee, I can justify keeping this as my Visa for now.
the base earn rate is now 0.5 ppd, thats on a par with most other visa cards now, so its not too bad especially for a free card.

I think its worth looking at the new NEB Rewards card released a month ago, the points earn structure is practically the same. It may well be they are all going to go this way.

Well that will be a bummer if 100% accurate. I was actually chatting to a serious pts chaser in PEK last week and he was convinced Citi would adjust Prestige to eff KF earn rate 2:3. Certainly back to the strategy desk to tweak the battle plan in preparation for post June assault.

Last edited:
Exactly. It's all a game and just need to adjust to the new rules. Wish I had a fee free for life Citi card though!

Ah, that is a big blow.

@Cruiser - let us know where you land on a KF earning alternative. Market is looking fairly thin these days. I mostly use this as a backup card so it doesn't get much action. Contemplating just keeping it for the few occasions Amex isn't accepted.

Per Point Hacks, they also seem to be expanding the "Government" non-earning category which will smash me.

I mean honestly....public transport fares???

The Government related transaction category is now more specifically defined / broadened to include transactions with government or semi-government entities, with the following examples given:
  • Australian Tax Office (this was already a non-points earning merchant)
  • Australia Post
  • Council rates
  • Motor registries, tolls, parking stations and meters
  • Public transport fares
  • Fines and court related costs

Are the transfer rates also changing as of 15 June? Citibank aren't making it easy to find the details of these changes.

Where'd you get the info on the transfer rate changes, didn't see those on the website.
If that's true, those are some brutal changes. Earn rate on SQ going from 1 point per dollar to 0.4 point per dollar.

Anyone know if we can book the free hotel and airport transfers and then cancel the card without affecting the bookings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back