Citbank Take Flight - Is it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arun

got a leaflet from Citibank.
Sydney - Perth return - 48,400 points
Bangkok rtn - 113,900 points
Round the world - 313,900 points
Except for the fact that there is no "black out" period, this offers very little value when compared to a 1:1 transfer to QF and then book from QF. Too expensive for convenience. What do others think?

Just on Sydney to Perth alone.... that seems far too much to be the 'value' they claim it is.

I always transfer my CB points to QFF. I book online, then take the 'long way', via Melbourne / Adelaide or Brisbane / Adelaide ..... for the same 30,000 points return. (This is using the 'milage' value of the points, not just the 'departure to destination / return' value of the points, like CB Take Flight use.

Anybody else agree?

That's why I (like Gordon) always transfer my CB points to my QFF (at least they transfer at 1:1 !!). When you look at all of those point "deals" they are more expensive than the corresponding QF award deals.

takefllight

what you don't understand is 1 point = 1 c credit towards a booking at harvey world travel, that's what take flight is. Their prices are based on rough retail prices at the time. Key points are, the ticket you'll get will earn you miles AND status...

For example, a cheapie round the world will cost you $1500 on a price match and earn you 30,000 star alliance miles, this is nearly enough for Air canada star gold (35,000 miles per year). From this you'll be well on your way to a free award. The round the world, at 1c, would cost you 150,000 points, which is essentially what you'd pay for a proper round the world with stops on QF.... go figure! but it actually isn't such a bad deal, if for example, you spend $150,000 p.a. on your credit card, you'll have enough for a free round the world every year, enough to qualify for free round trip to the USA every 2nd year, and retention of close to star alliance gold every year... ongoing... all without spending a cent on an airfare each year.... (except taxes ... oh but they can be included in the cost of take flight too!!!) so it ain't so bad afterall....

Hang on... are you saying, that if you book a Qantas / BA RTW trip through Harvey World Travel.... using your CB points..... you will earn QF FF points + SC???

So, if a RTW fare was say, a round $2,000. that would be 200,000 points (yeah, plus taxes!)..... but you would get (going for a 'milage run') about 50,000 - 80,000 points & 500 - 1,000 SC ??? (all round figures of course - all depends on route)

This would MAKE THE DIFFERENCE !!!

Anybody want to confirm this?

regards,

Sounds promising....

A call to the PLAT desk might be in order :)
Or to Harveyworldtravel to see what class they are booked in.

This could be fantastic. Has anyone checked out the details yet?

Eagerly awaiting,
Sam

Are you sure it is 1 point for 1 cent for CB??

For a recent hotel booking (which unfortunately I had to cancel and Westpac charged me $50.00 for cancellation (refunded the points in full) - but that is a different story) Westpac Altitude charged me 12500 per $100.00.
The hotel was Courtyard Marriot in Gold coast. The room rate WP used to convert points was identical to the rate in WOTIF.com.au which was the cheapest I could find.

This (12500 points : $100.00) is the conversion rate they use for shopping vouchers. Thus I believe they will be using similar conversion rate for flights.

CB conversion rate could be better than WP, CB card is the platinum. In any case if someone checks this, pls let me know as well.

Citibank 'Take Flight' is their EXCLUSIVE rewards program (or part of it).... completely different to other cards.

MUST be Platinum card holder... so, nothing like Westpac Altitude.

regards,

cb take flight

take flight from CB is available for GOLD and platinum card holders.

not just platinum as stated earlier. the other benefit of take flight is that your redemption also have the gold or platinum travel insurance too.

what CB are offering is definitely a clear and distinctive credit card product which stands out in the market.

CB are not westpac and it is 1 pt = 1 c, not 1.25 pt = 1 c.

for more info, see:

http://www.harveyworld.com.au/citibank/takeflight.cfm

For example, enter in 150,000 points balance = $1,500 in travel which can be booked through Harvey World. Any harvey world travel agent will be able to assist you with take flight, the trick is finding the one which is most amenible to matching a zuji, travel.com.au or flightcentre price. harvey world prefer to promote themselves as a full service travel agent, but the occassional few agents (usually in regional areas) but you can deal with them via email, will assist you in booking and offer you a rate virtually identical to the online travel agents.

hmm.. going by takeflight.. a trip to US is say $2k for fun- or 200,000 points in takeflight

OR

80,000QF points...

I still think QF transfer is a better option..even if you do get points for travel on the harveyworld thing...

flights

Doot, that is probably not a good indicator, sure it is 200,000 if you are crazy enough to pay $2k for a ticket, odds are however, you'll be able to get the dates you want for that price, rather than hoping for an award ticket.

But being realistic, i would book a best deal - which in this case would be a SYD - SFO or SYD - LAX (which is 80,000 on QF) but is $1,179 on Air NZ at the moment, with a free stopover in AKL if you want. In addition, you would earn 15,000 or so Status miles on United, Air Canada, etc. This would cost you in points 117,900... v. 80,000 with QF. But better chances of a) getting a seat, b) earning 15,000 "status" miles c) paying an extra 20,000 or so points for the privilege -- this assumes you'd be paying ticket taxes out of your pocket in both cases.

However, this scenario doesn't work so well on using the takeflight for Business Class rewards... then it blows this whole cost equation to bits, only works well for economy class. And only deep discounted tickets does it work best.

Another example would be a QF award, SYD-HNL (80,000 QF points). But you can buy a ticket for $660 + taxes at the moment. this is 66,000 citibank points, plus you'll earn 10,000 qantas points for the round trip, so effectively it is only 56,000 points plus 10,000 miles towards status on your OW program. In this instance, take flight is Awesome! But you need to be ready for the right deal at the right time...

Finally, where takeflight can help you out with business, that no other economy award will allow you to do (with a few rare exceptions, based on the program and the status you have with them), you will not be able to upgrade an award ticket, but on a revenue ticket on United for example, you could use your UA 1k SWU to upgrade you across the pacific, which you couldn't do just using your UA miles for an economy award (UA don't let you use SWU's on award tickets). Similarly, you would still be earning qualfying miles (in economy anyhow).

Yeah, I don't really get how good this offer is.

Take for example a flight from MEL-HKG-MEL. This would be 50,000 FF points or about AU$800 - AU$1,300 depending on the season for a Y class ticket.

The cheapest CB point based flight I would get a Harvey World travel would be 80,000 CB points.

Not really worth it.

If someone can score a return flight to London for less then 110,000 CB points (or AU$1,100) then that would be good.

Regards
Daniel

I've been following this one....

I think the RTW option is good with CB, but the evidence is there for the standard markers.... Sydney to London / Sydney to LA.

The other thing about Harvey World is, when booking RTW.... are you going to be 'stuck' with flight segments on airlines like China East; Vietnam; Air Egypt or Heaven help us..... Aeroflot !!!

Have I mentioned perceptions of 'SAFETY' before ???

Anyway.... I can't see anyone getting BETTER value for points than 80,000 Syd to LA ($800. or less at Harvey World), or 110,000 Syd to London ($1,100. or less at HW)..... plus, with the QFF method, you get to book your own stopovers (FREE if under 24hrs).

regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back