Christmas trip - book now or wait for status credit promotion?

airly

I am planning to go on a interstate trip with my family during Christmas period this year.
I am keen to maximise the status credit of this trip.
What is the likelihood that there will be any double status credit promotion before Christmas?
Or should I just book now?

Any suggestion welcome!

Mattg

Enthusiast
Solutions
I have no idea whether Virgin will run a status credit promotion this year - but I suppose it's quite possible. Both of the airlines will probably be doing all they can to encourage new bookings once the border situation gets sorted out.

Either way, there's no way I would personally be booking travel for Christmas just yet (in the context of 2021). So much could still happen in the next 10 months.

Combining a phone charger and phone holder our Magnetic Wireless Car Phone Charger quickly charges your phone while driving without tangled cords!

Suitable for car dashboard air vent installation, our wireless phone charger makes phone calls and GPS navigation easier more convenient.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Bagpuss

Established Member
Solutions
It's a tough one. I'd expect it but not overly sure. I always seem to miss out one promotions.
Domestic travel I think is pretty safe for December and it's currently covered with the change policy.

I've already booked Christmas flights and noticed one had a lot of seats already sold throughout the cabin (not just the usual blocked off seats).

Milefest

Solutions
Why are you booking this far ahead for a domestic flight? There's very few discounted fares available this far out, most coupon codes don't apply and most of the current sale fares don't cover the Christmas peried.

You could wait a few more months and still have fares around the same price as they are now or cheaper with sales.

Bagpuss

Established Member
Solutions
Christmas fares don't tend to be discounted. Sometimes mid December it can happen.
Christmas time it can get very pricey and I think this year prices will be very high if borders are open after many missed out last year.
Coupon I used for Christmas worked.

airly

Thanks for all the advices. I think I will wait for a little maybe until July and see whether there is double status credit promotion.
I used to travel interstate or overseas for holiday every year, seriously looking forward to a good and safe interstate trip, that's why booking ahead (so I have something to look forward to). The good news is it is all free cancellation, so if it is not safe, I could cancel it for free.
I am not too focus on price at this stage, more on the status credit, just want to get the most out of family trip. And hopefully could hit VA Gold.

henrus

Solutions
All I'd say is that if you've got a place in mind and the price you're booking at right now is right (ie you're happy with it) then why not. For the first time in years I don't have a single flight booked but I'm desperately waiting for a travel bubble with NZ to open.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterwilliams83