China Airlines - “safe”? | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

China Airlines - “safe”?

MH_fan

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
That's a valid point and I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but I didn't see anything that gave me concern whilst I was on board. I feel safe enough to fly thrm and it's a choice I'm making.
I now avoid Malindo because the last time I flew with them, their safety checks in the cabin were of concern to me...allowing passengers to leave their belongings on the floor of the bulkhead seats, not stopping people from talking on their phones after the doors have closed and we're taxiing, and not properly checking that seatbelts were fastened by passengers. If they don't do this, what kind of safety culture does that say behind the scenes then?

Pu Koh

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
flying is still so much safer than being in a car. Unless you are flying a third rate airline from a back water country, which china airlines IS NOT. What are you worried about.

33kft

AFF Supporter
What are you worried about.
At a guess, I would say OP is worried about flying with a shonky operator. What good is quoting a baseline statistic like flying being statistically safer than driving when the average prevalence and total distance is way off? I know people who fly once every 5 years and commute 2.5 hours every workday. And those who do make up the statistic of lives lost in commercial air travel do so on airlines which have variable comparative rates of incidence. So your chances of being a statistic are way worse on one airline vs another.

That said, their record since 2002 has been fatality free with minimal incidents. Back then I am sure they would have told you that past performance is not indicative of future outcomes, whereas now they would want to convince you they are. At the end of the day about the best information you could get is to seek feedback from those who have traveled recently with the airline to see what their safety culture consists of, the state of their equipment and the quality of their service.

But if we are just going to quote statistics, historically their record is much worse than QF's - 8 hull losses and 755 fatalities, but if you drill down, over the last decade, QF have had more incidents than China Airlines. And herein lies the problem with statistics.

Melburnian1

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
...How do you know that their standards have improved?...
You are perhaps a little unfair on CI.

"Lack of incidents for a decade' is what www.airlineratings.com uses as its benchmark for passing with flying colours a safety assessment (plus a few parameters that must be met), so if it's true that CI has not had any (major) incidents for 17 years, I'd have no hesitation in flying it. I haven't, but I have been half a dozen times on competitor BR, also from Taiwan and thought it - at least as far as safety demos. in the cabin go, which is all passengers can 'assess' - professional.

If CI still has an OZ-like problem with 'Asian type management culture' - in the cockpit case, the FO never questioning the pilot's actions or directions such as IIRC was the difficulty with that OZ seawall incident in SFO - isn't there a good chance that with hundreds of thousands of flights in 17 years, this would in a few cases have led to major problems? That it hasn't - given the absence of loss of life or serious injuries - tells me as a passenger that previous cultural problems are not being handed down to the next generation.

Taiwan is a technologically advanced country, in some ways ahead of Australia. Its major airlines reflect that.

jb747

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I guess you have to use whatever measures you have available to you. I've spent a fair bit of time sharing airspace with various players, who, by your definition are safe, but whom I'd assess otherwise. At the end of the day though, the cost of the ticket will decide.....

jboy90

I guess you have to use whatever measures you have available to you. I've spent a fair bit of time sharing airspace with various players, who, by your definition are safe, but whom I'd assess otherwise. At the end of the day though, the cost of the ticket will decide.....
I’m a very conservative person and made the decision to not book with them in the end. Maybe a bit of confirmation bias there but at the end of the day I’m not going to enjoy my flight if I have niggling feeling in the back of my mind. Have booked to Hong Kong on Qantas and then onward with Cathay which suits me fine.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryce Hawkins