Check your points for discrepancies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed on my June statement that the addition of the opening balance and points earned did not equal the closing balance. I notified Citibank of this and was advised:

"Please be advised that Citibank Rewards has recently transitioned to new system platform which may have caused the discrepancy. In this regard, we have manually credited the account with the points difference."

So I suggest you all check your June statements for discrepancies!

Just checked, there was a 28 point discrepancy in mine. Weighing up whether to follow it up...

EDIT: Forgot to thank you for flagging this up Kolo :)

Last edited:
I noticed on my June statement that the addition of the opening balance and points earned did not equal the closing balance. I notified Citibank of this and was advised:

"Please be advised that Citibank Rewards has recently transitioned to new system platform which may have caused the discrepancy. In this regard, we have manually credited the account with the points difference."

Out of interest - how many points was your balance out by?

I must admit that I tend towards "Matter of Principle" end of the spectrum, multiply x points by 100,000+ account holders and it's time for some programmer to get the stick for sloppy work. Equally, it does not say much about the acceptance testing regime!

Not what you want to hear about from a bank. RBA - are you listening?

Thanks for the thread - mine was out by 600, I sent them a note asking for it to be fixed pronto

When I first got this card I tried to work out how Citi calculated points earn. My working showed that purchases are rounded down then multiplied by earn rate. Total points for the statement period carry a decimal place but its not shown on the statement, however this can mean the opening and closing balance difference is slightly out from the earn.

Only did it once to work out the method, not worth doing this every month.

I just happened to be checking whether my utilities payments were crediting at 1ppd, when I also noticed some weird discrepancies.

In short, my rewards account is a complete dogs breakfast.

My balance on the June credit card statement is about 10k lower than the online rewards total (which includes current month spend - but it's nowhere near that amount). But the opening balance on the June CC statement is about 2k higher than the closing balance from the May CC statement. Plus, the based earned is 5k higher than actual spend.

The online rewards credits bear absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to the credit card spend. For eg, there's a bonus for international spend (I haven't made a such a transaction for at least 2 years) and no point amounts match and there are points issued on days where no transaction occurred. Does anyone else have that??

I'll go back an check that recent months spend equals rewards points allocated but it's a PITA that I have to.

Perhaps it will all come out in the wash this month, ie the online amount will be the same as the cc statement, but the system appears to be impossible to track with any degree of accuracy.

Thanks for the heads up, out by 109 as well.

How long did it take you to calculate you were $1 out? No thanks, my time is worth more than that!

About 5 seconds on a calculator adding opening balance + base earned = 'available' down 109 points.

Anyway flicked an email to Citi via the secure message portal and was surprised to see 1000 points added for my trouble... Fee free for life just keeps on giving :D

Thanks psi99. Had a couple of issues that I had to sort out with Citi. Got on the phone and raised the points discrepancy and the CSR offered 500 points which I negotiated to 1000 points. Worth the trouble of ringing Citi.

Thanks for flagging that, my June statement was 200 points short, but further checking showed a mistake on the previous statement where the opening balance was 200 points too high. So the June difference was a correction.

Reckon they'll fix them automatically rather than having to do the hard work of validating them myself? Am on Visa Signature no annual fee free for life.
I noticed there are Bonus Points added on my latest statements which I don't recall any bonus points promo going on. Perhaps that's how they fix the difference by adding bonus points?

They count the 2.5 extra pts/$ for international spend as 'bonus points'.

Reckon they'll fix them automatically rather than having to do the hard work of validating them myself? Am on Visa Signature no annual fee free for life.
I noticed there are Bonus Points added on my latest statements which I don't recall any bonus points promo going on. Perhaps that's how they fix the difference by adding bonus points?

I just happened to be checking whether my utilities payments were crediting at 1ppd, when I also noticed some weird discrepancies.

In short, my rewards account is a complete dogs breakfast.

I'll go back an check that recent months spend equals rewards points allocated but it's a PITA that I have to.

Perhaps it will all come out in the wash this month, ie the online amount will be the same as the cc statement, but the system appears to be impossible to track with any degree of accuracy.

I did the same, over the past roughly 100 k spend, it is 700 points out. Impossible to know why?

I'm a bit reluctant to pay 10 k in council rates until I can be 100% sure. Can anyone confirm 100% for sure they pay points for council rates?

I am still waiting for 70,000 points for opening my account with them back in March. 3 phone calls to customer service have achieved nothing. But that s another post.....

This month we went close to our credit limits on our 2 Citi cards. I have been finding them very useful despite no ATO. The points paid have been close enough to know they are not using a dartboard to work it all out. They have paid bonuses when I could not see why so I still don't call them despite others saying the call centre is improving. All good in Citi land for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back