Cheapest way to "spend on Qantas services"

Status
Not open for further replies.

N860CR

I've just applied for 2 QF Amex cards (1 for me, 1 the better half) with the current 17,500 point promo. Of course, to get the final 2500 points there needs to be a spend on Qantas services. I was originally not going to bother, but then I read that in order to get the QC invites I'll need to spend on Qantas' services as well, it seems like it might be worth doing.

Slight confusion, the Qantas website says:

* Selected Qantas products and services are: (a) Qantas passenger flights (with a QF flight number) purchased on the Qantas merchant account, that is with Qantas direct or some travel agents, (b) purchases from Qantas Travel shops or (c) Qantas Holidays.

While the Amex site says:
Selected Qantas products and services are: (a) Qantas passenger flights with a QF flight number purchased on the Qantas merchant account i.e. with Qantas direct or some travel agents, or (b) purchases from Qantas Travel shops. Excludes: Qantas Freight, Qantas Holidays, Jetstar, Qantas branded non-airfare products operated by third parties e.g. Qantas Box Office.

So I'm a little unsure if Qantas Holidays is included or not.

That only concerns me as I've considered buying two $50 Qantas Holidays gift vouchers to make up the "spend on Qantas' services" and I want to make sure this is going to be ok (I've basically paid for all my Qantas travel for the next year).

Otherwise, from Sydney I assume the cheapest way to do it would be booking two seperate flights with the two cards SYD-DUBBO-SYD at $84 each way?

If you do not really want the flight..
...an $84 flight by 2 to gain 2500 plus 2 by 1000 points (worth say $45) plus a QC single use invitation by 2 would not seem good value nor worth the time...particulary as you also need to pay for a taxi or parking or tolls etc.

You have 12 months....and the flight does not have to be for you....so if you have any friends or relatives flying with QF...you may e able to arrange the flight that way.

Last edited:
You're right, it's not the best value move... however, it's 7000 points in total plus 4 QC invites - 2 per card (which are the main drawcard as I've got a few long stopovers coming up).

At $168 yes, pretty poor economics, however if I can buy 2 X $50 QF Holidays gift vouchers, at a $100 total outlay it starts to look a little more appealing (plus I could actually use them as gift vouchers and give them away as gifts!)

danielribo said:
You're right, it's not the best value move... however, it's 7000 points in total plus 4 QC invites - 2 per card (which are the main drawcard as I've got a few long stopovers coming up).[]

At $168 yes, for 7000 if you use your two AMEX's to pay for each leg.

If you can pay/ book a mates/ relatives flight for them....and they then reimburse you you would get to 2500 points plus 2 QC per booked flight for free......which answers your question of "Cheapest way to "spend on Qantas services".

If it was a return flight...you use your AMEX to book one direction...and your partner the other way...so that way your get the 5000 plus the 4 QC passes.

However as they would be forgoing the points on what would have been their CC spend (say 100 to 400ish for a domestic flight) you should buy them a beer or box of chocolates etc....

Or another way...send your mum on a & $168 return flight as a present....which will effectively cost you nothing in value returned...but you mum gets a trip :D

Yes originally my first plan had been to send the old girl on a weekend away somewhere, however she's already got more flights booked than me this year! I'm working on a few mates/work people, however problem 99% of people I know fly Virgin :evil:

Hi again...I don't think that the Holiday Voucher will qualify...

However other QANTAS spend can...ie when my wife renewed her QC membership which she gets at a discounted corporate rate of only $220.....it gave her the 2500 nts plus 2 guest passes.

I guess the key is that it has to be someting that QANTAS bills directly....and not a subsidary group or third party group.

If you redeem a flight...and pay for the fuel fines and taxes...that would qualify without much $ spend...depending on the destination....but then that will cost you points..

Last edited:
A few ways I can think of...

1. Book a Qantas trip somewhere using a refundable ticket. Refund ticket later after the billing cycle has closed. (Note I don't recommend this as it is grey/unethical. You may even be chased by Amex/Qantas to re-imburse them for expenses )

2. If you have Qantas club access hire out a meeting room / overseas fax (do they do them?) or some other expense in the Qantas club. That should be be billed from the Qantas Amex merchant account and be eligible (but not sure).

3. Do you have any current open bookings? Find one where the fare is the same or cheaper and change a flight. Costs you a change fee, but that shouldn't be more than $40 for a domestic flight.

I paid my biennial QC membership subscription and received my 2,500 bonus points for my first Qantas spend on my new Qantas Amex Premium card. Perhaps not the cheapest way to get it, but I was going to pay anyway, so I got the 625 pts for the corp sub at 1.25 pts/$ plus 500 pts for the 1:1 bonus plus 2,500 for the first use, so a total of 3,625 pts is not to be sneezed at for a $500 spend.:D

Rgds,

Emkay

If you do resort to buying a flight(s) you could us one card for the outbound flight and the other for the return :!:

I noticed that Amex are offering again..

Credit Cards - American Express Australia
  • Enjoy an introductory offer of 5,000 points¹ the first time you use your Premium Card PLUS an extra 2,500 points¹ when you first use your Premium Card in Australia on selected Qantas services4
  • Two Qantas Club Invitations² every year when you first spend on your Premium Card in Australia on selected Qantas services4
  • Earn 1.25 Qantas Frequent Flyer points¹ for every dollar spent every day using your Premium Card
  • Earn 1 additional point¹ for every dollar spent on your Premium Card in Australia on selected Qantas services4
  • Automatic transfer of points to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account every month
  • Travel Insurance for travel within Australia and overseas³
  • Interest rate of 17.74%

I spent $20 on a 500 point top up. This was considered a Qantas spend by Amex, and I received the 2500 bonus points.

I'll wait to see if I get the QC invites.

That's pretty ingenious!

Does the points purchase have to be toward a specific award, or can we just buy it?

Also, have the QC passes turned up yet?

It wasn't toward a specific award flight.

The QC invites arrived a couple of weeks after.

Mate, you are a legend. That will be the first transaction on my card (pending approval of course)!

Re: "The QC invites arrived a couple of weeks after."

Hi there - just wondering what the expiry dates on your club passes was - I might delay the first purchase if they will expire in 6 months or so....

lahlee said:
Hi there - just wondering what the expiry dates on your club passes was - I might delay the first purchase if they will expire in 6 months or so....
You will generally get 12+ months expiry. Mine arrived in mid-March with March 2008 expiry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back