Cheap upgrade (US domestic) | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Cheap upgrade (US domestic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warks

Established Member
I'm flying LAX-YVR tomorrow (or today really) and was just checking in online when Alaska Air offered to upgrade me to First for $50 or 15 000 points! Done! (for $50). Seeing as my ticket was as cheap as I could get (about $140) I was pretty happy to pay another $50 to sit in 1A. I don't know how good their First is but it has to be better than Y. Also I now have to check a bag so that was going to be $25 I think so it works out even better with two free bags in First.

The only issue I had was when I was trying to pay for it. I was entering my billing address and even though I'd selected Australia it still demanded a "zip code". It wouldn't accept my four digit postcode so I entered the only zip code I knew - 90210 - and it worked...

Anyway I was pretty chuffed and thought I'd share. It's a three hour flight coming on the back of SYD-LAX so I don't mind.

Flights
My Map
The only issue I had was when I was trying to pay for it. I was entering my billing address and even though I'd selected Australia it still demanded a "zip code". It wouldn't accept my four digit postcode so I entered the only zip code I knew - 90210 - and it worked..
3 x double like!

Warks

Established Member
What was even better is that I also got fed - was going to buy a meal in LAx but then thought I'd get a meal so held off. So saved another $15 probably.

Another unrelated bonus was that I could get into the Alaska Airlines "Board Room" (their lounge) because I was QF SG and was flying Alaskan. Pretty uninspiring lounge (which they have the gall to charge $45 for casual entry) about the same size as the QP in TSV but without the food. Three complimentary drinks though. Also Wifi.

First Class was nothing special - in 1A I was hard up against the bulkhead - no room to stretch out - should have gone 2A or elsewhere. Got a nice enough meal and a beer (and was offered more) so well worth it.

It's quite a scenic flight this one - have only done it before in an aisle seat so haven't seen much.

If I keep going this might end up as a trip report...

Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maryK