Centurion Research Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All and particularly Centurion card holders.

I have been asked to attend a Centurion research dinner next week, and fingered I would get your feedback on how Amex Centurion can be improved.

What are the things I should feed back, I'm hoping to address benifits and the cost of the card, as well as the cut in reciving points. what would you like to see.

Wayne
The Dyslexic Traveler

There are not too many "luxury/elite" things that seem ( to me) to be poor value , but having twice been offered said centurion card (and declining on both occasions) I feel this is one of them. Over priced IMHO and while some benefits are "nice to have" I feel that a more realistic pricing would be better. It's a lot cheaper ( I believe) in the US. If you want to make it exclusive , restrict membership, set minimum spend etc. All that said. It's been some time since I saw any detail so my list may be redundant.

- Cost to benefit ratio is poor. I was willing to pay the annual fee when they had the CX diamond benefit. Not so much now.

- Exclusive benefits are more important, so focus on that. E.g VIP night at a furniture shop is quite disappointing.

- Point earning is poor in some categories. Even in high end retail shops, I have to use my Westpac which gives me more points. Bring back the 1.5 for centurion.

I have been asked to attend a Centurion research dinner next week, and fingered I would get your feedback on how Amex Centurion can be improved.

What are the things I should feed back, I'm hoping to address benifits and the cost of the card, as well as the cut in reciving points. what would you like to see.

Wayne
The Dyslexic Traveler

Looks like you're going to be part of a focus group. Please share feedback post-dinner.

Edit: how long have you been a C cardholder?

WADR wayne - if AMEX are not already aware of what a dog Centurion is in terms of cost <-> value then there is little hope your contribution will help - AMEX have been well advised of the poor value of Cent by the procession of former holders who have abandoned it over the years.

I have been a Centurion member for 10 years Foreigner

Well, that says a lot for why you've been invited. I've had 3 invites for C card but remain convinced there's little extra benefit to that off my platinum card. If points are significantly better with C card then...

The best value and distinguishing feature would be fee free FX transaction. Some USA Amex cards have this so it is possible.

I think everyone on this forum who got an invite would bite straight away, and probably even wear the joining fee.

At 3% your FX spend only has to be around 150k, assuming 0 value to all other benefits.

I have had a free accelerate biz card for 5 years .
never even activated it
Just found out about get 2 pp$
So now using it almost exclusively in Australia. Cannot see the value in centurion.
i think they have to make the points earn outstanding to ask that sort of fee.

Few things from me:
- Benefit vs cost has definitely dropped recently (and I've raised this with them directly)
- Would be good to be able to pay the annual fee monthly (but also make the annual fee more aligned with overseas centurion cards)
- With the benefits if they can't offer all at a lower annual fee maybe make it a system where you can pick some benefits from different categories (eg. Choose between CX diamond OR Emirates Gold, choose maybe 2 or 3 of Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Plat, Shangri-La etc - reality is if people join all of these they will probably spend less per chain than if they had to choose only a few - it would bring more revenue to the ones chosen)
- Bring back SPG Platinum
- Introduce Hyatt Diamond
- Add Qantas Platinum (instead of Qantas club if need be) - or even discounted rate for achieving Qantas status - eg. Lower status credit requirement for platinum 1, platinum etc
- Better companion fares (try to negotiate with Qantas here too)
- Better notice of travel offers - eg. I only just got the recent magazine which had an offer for Peninsula Hong Kong - I just went to HK and booked accommodation only 2 weeks ahead, but this magazine arrived 2 days later and I would have preferred the Peninsula but this was just really late
- As others have said, points earn should be minimum 1.5, still keeping the extra points for restaurants and travel
- One last thing is that it would be good if the supplementary centurion card holder could also get an A/C additional card as well.

Thanks for posting this and hopefully this brings about some improvements!

I've raised the issue of benefits vs cost a couple of times and they always suggest I register for Shangri-la or Relais & Chateaux, and I always answer "why would I when I never stay at those hotels? Then Amex would likely be paying them a fee for something I don't use, and then the benefit would likely be taken away with lots of people signing up then not using it. If the annual fee was less but allowing us to pick a smaller number of things that would be most benefit from the pool it would be more beneficial for everyone".

Good luck with the dinner and let us know what the reaction is!

The difference in benefits between the Centurion and Platinum card is too narrow, especially when compared to the annual fee payable on each card.

I like the idea of being able to choose benefits that best suit my requirements. It would also be good if you make a booking with AMEX, then they automatically inform you of the benefits you can use. For example, on my last oversease trip, I booked business class airfare and accomodation using AMEX Centurion travel. This means that I can use Centurion Enroute and can use a free transfer, paid for by AMEX. When the booking was being made, I had to inform the consultant about these and then they were put in place. It would have been nice if one did not have to chase for the benefits that have been promised.
I also think that the Relationship Managers could be more proactive, perhaps a call once very 6-8 weeks, just to make sure that everything is OK and to let you know about any promotions that are coming up.

Enjoy the dinner.

I was offered the dinner as well (Cafe Sydney, choice of dates next week or in a few weeks time), but declined. It's not a good use of time for me at the moment. I agree with other feedback about the points earning rates being a real issue. These days I only use my Centurion card for travel-related purchases because I get a better earn rate on my Westpac Altitude AMEX. But I've provided this feedback to my RM several times so I don't need to do it again at a restaurant...

The difference in benefits between the Centurion and Platinum card is too narrow, especially when compared to the annual fee payable on each card.

I like the idea of being able to choose benefits that best suit my requirements. It would also be good if you make a booking with AMEX, then they automatically inform you of the benefits you can use. For example, on my last oversease trip, I booked business class airfare and accomodation using AMEX Centurion travel. This means that I can use Centurion Enroute and can use a free transfer, paid for by AMEX. When the booking was being made, I had to inform the consultant about these and then they were put in place. It would have been nice if one did not have to chase for the benefits that have been promised.
I also think that the Relationship Managers could be more proactive, perhaps a call once very 6-8 weeks, just to make sure that everything is OK and to let you know about any promotions that are coming up.

Enjoy the dinner.

I think the quality of the RM is hit and miss at Amex, I have to say I have a very proactive guy, Andrew he is one of the reasons I have continued with the card, I have often said if he was to go I would drop the card.

Wayne
The Dyslexic Traveler

Hi Wayne

Many thanks for asking us.

How long have you got and are they going to do something about it? I have complained for years... but no one ever listens. I have had some really bad experience last year, but no one seems to care. I even managed to contact someone higher up through linked in. Promised someone will get back to me, but it never happened.

The only thing they seems to be doing is to continue to devalue the card.

When is the dinner? I have a full list.

Steve

Hi Wayne

Many thanks for asking us.

How long have you got and are they going to do something about it? I have complained for years... but no one ever listens. I have had some really bad experience last year, but no one seems to care. I even managed to contact someone higher up through linked in. Promised someone will get back to me, but it never happened.

The only thing they seems to be doing is to continue to devalue the card.

When is the dinner? I have a full list.

Steve

Hi Steve

I do think you are right about getting back to you. It's not good, seems to me that customer satisfaction with regards lines of communication is a big issue.

I have no no idea if they will listen or act but it can not hurt to try. I will let you know how I go.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back