Centurion Payments

Discussion in 'American Express Rewards' started by Mr_Fitz, Dec 6, 2018.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Mr_Fitz

Mr_Fitz Junior Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Melbourne
    Frequent Flyers,

I am hoping for some feedback regarding making payments onto Centurion.

As you know the max payment AMEX will accept in one go is $100K... THEN (if the payment is coming from the same bank account) AMEX will only allow an additional amount to be paid after 76 hours has expired before accepting another payment coming from the same bank account.

This obviously is a problem when the balance is above $100K.

I have previously got around this by paying $X amount onto one Centurion, then $X amount onto one of the 4 supplementary plat cards (coming from the same bank account) - as the payment is attributed to the Centurion facility and zeroing out the total facility balance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've got a new RM in the last 8 weeks - and at first - he claimed he was having trouble understanding how to process the payments onto separate cards. (Even though I emailed him examples of how I have been delegating the payments onto 6 different cards - 2 x Centurion and 4 x Platinum for the last 4 years).

Now he is telling me I can't make payments onto any of the other 5 x cards which are attached to the Centurion if the cash is coming from the same bank account - until 76 hours has expired after each $100K payment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Has anyone else used the above method previously (paying over $100K per day by delegating payments to separate cards attached to the same facility) or is anyone else now having trouble making payments of over $100K per day?

2. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Established Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    This isn't even a first world problem, LOL. Centurion problems ;).

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Daver6

Daver6 Established Member

Dec 31, 2011
    PER
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I have a solution. For a 1% fee, you can transfer $100k to my bank account and I'll then transfer the amount minus my fee to your charge account. That should get around the problem nicely. I'm sure others would be willing to assist :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Saltywings

Saltywings Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Sign me up!

(On a more serious note, I'm not sure how much help most of us will be here hahaha!)

5. ftm

ftm Active Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Are you paying it off via BPay? I know they have a $40k per payment limit, but they don't have a limit on the number of BPay payments per day, as far as I have found.

6. Mr_Fitz

Mr_Fitz Junior Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Melbourne
    Thanks for the feedback ;)

Unfortunately $50K limit and both AMEX and BPay claim 'up to 3 days' to process payments via BPay, so I have avoided.

Another obvious work around would be to open multiple bank accounts, but would be a bookkeeping nightmare.

This new policy (of not being able to pay the statement by allocating payments onto supplementary cards) only came into place when my RM changed (and the same month the devaluation was announced).

If the statement is $250K, payments have to start 10 days prior to the due date, which means the credit facility drops from 30 days to 20 days and the rule is exponential (the higher the spend, the earlier payments have to start).

If anyone has the same problem or a solution (one which does not require me to wire six figures to the undoubtedly trustworthy and esteemed members of the Oz Frequent Flyer community ... for a nominal fee) please let me know

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daver6

Daver6 Established Member

Dec 31, 2011
    PER
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I find it really strange that they would impose such a limit. It makes no business sense to me. Any idea what the reasoning is behind this?

As for taking several days, surely they would be moving to the NPP (new payments platform) which will resolve that problem.

8. potm

potm Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Your relationship manager is crap. I've never had an issue making the payments to the sup cards as you describe from any frontline Amex staff. Just call up and you should be able to do it.
    Also your bank's 50k limit should be able to be increased with a call. A lot of bank's should have automatic higher limits for approved bpay billers which amex would definitely be one.
    Bpay payments made during the day usually arrive before midnight that same day. In any case they'll be dated the same day so no need to worry about missing the payment date.

9. dec540

dec540 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    NPP is not currently in place for credit card facilities and even then currently has a daily limit of $2,000.

10. JQ29

JQ29 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2012
    You should be able to use BPAY with $100k per transaction, maybe talk with your bank...

11. teebow

teebow Newbie

Jul 21, 2011
    Have you tried setting up a direct debit instead? This is how i got around payment limits.

12. mrtupperware

mrtupperware Junior Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Hi Fitz,

Why dont you max out the Amex payment then use bpay for the balance? My bpay to Amex gets processed same day (around 10-11pm) if I make a payment before 5pm