Centurion annual fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

meadowfield

Has anyone received a discount on the annual fee, or any other sweetener , given the current situation and the likely reduction of benefits next year?

They’re unlikely to do so but never hurts to ask. Amex have had several offers this year to help take the sting out of it like the double points promo until July and the $700 shopping bonus. Did you manage to take advantage of these offers?

I was in London and wasn't told of the shopping bonus. In fairness they have taken the $700 off my statement but are not budging on the annual fee. Given we are not likely to be able to use travel insurance and travel benefits next year it seems an excessive amount to pay.

I was in London and wasn't told of the shopping bonus. In fairness they have taken the $700 off my statement but are not budging on the annual fee. Given we are not likely to be able to use travel insurance and travel benefits next year it seems an excessive amount to pay.
It always was excessive and I don't think the benefits ever really lined up to the fee (especially in Australia – but a few other locales also get ripped off). What you're really paying for is the prestige of holding the card and occasionally handing it to a shopkeeper or someone in a McDonald's who looks at it, and you, in awe. :p And that value will always be there, even if you can't travel.

It always was excessive and I don't think the benefits ever really lined up to the fee (especially in Australia – but a few other locales also get ripped off). What you're really paying for is the prestige of holding the card and occasionally handing it to a shopkeeper or someone in a McDonald's who looks at it, and you, in awe. :p And that value will always be there, even if you can't travel.

$5k is cheap for that manhood extension* :rolleyes:

*comment is made in jest and in no way implies that I really think this about men who have this card.

I am an elderly woman. I am looking for tangible benefits not bling. Most years I make full use of the Shangri-La Diamond status, the Hilton Diamond status, the St Regis US $200 extra benefit, the Avis and Hertz upgrades, the travel insurance. I have no interest in people looking at me " in awe".

If ‘awe’ is the major draw card to holding a card, then it’s definitely a waste of money especially as we now mostly tap to pay with our phones. Don’t think anyone will see our cards again.

I am an elderly woman. I am looking for tangible benefits not bling. Most years I make full use of the Shangri-La Diamond status, the Hilton Diamond status, the St Regis US $200 extra benefit, the Avis and Hertz upgrades, the travel insurance. I have no interest in people looking at me " in awe".

If you are trying to justify the Centurion card based on its benefits, you are probably not in the target market Amex has for Centurion.

If you are trying to justify the Centurion card based on its benefits, you are probably not in the target market Amex has for Centurion.
There is a level of spend (from the MR earning rate) that justifies Centurion when you add in the benefits.
It looks like meadowfield is happy with hers

Going back to my original point I am happy with the benefits in a " normal" year when I travel extensively but next year will be different, how can Amex justify a $5,000 fee for a card with fewer than normal benefits?

Going back to my original point I am happy with the benefits in a " normal" year when I travel extensively but next year will be different, how can Amex justify a $5,000 fee for a card with fewer than normal benefits?
They will likely offer additional incentives as well one progresses devoid of travel, but history shows they’re unlikely to offer a discount straight up.

nothing..they aint obligated to justify it for you. its your decision.

In the 1990s (I think) British Airways surveyed their Concorde passengers to see if the ticket price was value for money, and was prepared to reduce prices if the survey result showed this was necessary.

However, the results showed BA's Concorde passengers had no idea of the cost of a ticket, and therefore did not care if the price was value for money.

I think Amex Centurion card holders have a thought process similar to the BA Concorde passengers: that is, they don't know the actual annual fee amount, and don't think about value for money.

Ask for a serving of bonus points as a compromise. I've seen reports in an Amex promos FB group of Centurion holders receiving a once-off 100-200k points when threatening to drop back to a Plat Charge.

Perhaps they'll load some more cashback offers on the card, I've had that happen with my Plat Charge Card in the UK and I've had back more than I actually spent on my annual fee with things like spend £400 get £400 back, 2x spend £100 get £100 back. Hopefully Australia will offer similar, especially so on the Centurion card.

You think someone working at McDonalds would know what AMEX is, let alone a Centurion card? ;)

Ask for a serving of bonus points as a compromise. I've seen reports in an Amex promos FB group of Centurion holders receiving a once-off 100-200k points when threatening to drop back to a Plat Charge.

Don't threaten - actually go through with the cancellation. Then they'll see some retention offers on the screen, at which point they can offer them to you. If you know of actual cases where someone was given something specifically in this scenario, and their screen isn't showing it then mention it as often they have a way of being able to pull that in. That's what I did with my UK Plat Charge and ended up with 20k MR points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back