CBA Diamond Amex - Qantas points vs Flight centre ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark3000

I received my shiny new Diamond Amex today. Was offered a half price annual fee by our lovely banker. They do have good service at CBA in my experience.
My plan is to use the Amex as much as possible as it gives 3 points per dollar which then translates to 1.5 Qantas points per dollar
The Mastercard I probably won't use much and will use the Woolworths card for places where Amex is not accepted

Interestingly when I called to tell them I would like to have them direct sweep to Qantas, the phone operator tried to convince me it was better to not do that, and it was better to redeem for flight centre coupons.
My impression is that for redeeming J or F flights, QFF points would be better.
Does anyone have any experience with the value of using CBA Diamond points to buy Flight centre vouchers.
Have I done the right thing by setting up direct sweep?

Thanks

I sweep the same diamond setup to QF.

Their conversion to anything (gifts, travel, cards) of their own points is terrible.

Think the conversion rate to flight center is about 0.72c per CBA point.

If a QFF point is worth more than 1.44c to you, then stick with that.

Thanks very much alien, that's a very useful way of putting it.
If you are purchasing points for 1 c per point, there is no reason to do so if you are going to redeem for vouchers at 0.72 c / point
Thanks again

Thanks very much alien, that's a very useful way of putting it.
If you are purchasing points for 1 c per point, there is no reason to do so if you are going to redeem for vouchers at 0.72 c / point
Thanks again

Correct, the name of the game is to maximise returns, but not at the expense of bad fiscal economy.

Great question, I think I may have asked this same question a few years ago,

Unless things have changed, you can convert your CBA points into Flight centre vouchers,

I may be totally wrong but I think it was 300000 points per $1000 flight centre voucher

or maybe someone can confirm,

you get 3 points per $1 on the amex, and 1.25 points per $1 on the Visa/MC

I recall having a look andthinking the $1000 flight centre vouchers were better,but for some reason I went with direct sweep,

I am also assumingthat for example if jetstar have a flight sale , that you can go to flight centre and book it throguh them for the same price , hence getting these $1000 vouchers would be ideal

can anyone confirm any of hte above

I like my fee free CBA Dia Amex, the only problem - it caps out at 500,000 QFF points :(

sorry for the dumb question,

it says $1000 flight centre gift card is 186000 points

I assume its 3 points per $ on the amex, and 1.5 points per $ on the MC/VISA????

if thats the case its $62,000 spend on the amex or $124,000 spend on mC/visa

$1000 gift cards at flight centre and then to use these for cheap jetstar tickets to asia or tickets to Europe/UK which is 128,000 QFF points PLUS tax
im just trying to work out which is better,

Good Q.

IMO it depends where and what class you want to fly. Using the $62k spend on Dia Amex as an example the numbers would suggest that QFF is a complete dud of a choice.

What could you do with those 93,000 QFFP? You could use 60K flying whY MEL-BKK-MEL + a whopping $464.16 co-payment......you can fly J* plus bundle for $540.01. Almost three for one given the disgraceful QFF co-payment!

If the objective is to get a flight from X to Y on any plane in economy - QFF is a poor choice.

Good Q.

IMO it depends where and what class you want to fly. Using the $62k spend on Dia Amex as an example the numbers would suggest that QFF is a complete dud of a choice.

What could you do with those 93,000 QFFP? You could use 60K flying whY MEL-BKK-MEL + a whopping $464.16 co-payment......you can fly J* plus bundle for $540.01. Almost three for one given the disgraceful QFF co-payment!

If the objective is to get a flight from X to Y on any plane in economy - QFF is a poor choice.

yes good analysis,

im happy not to use the points and let it accumulate until somethign I really want to do comes along

from what ive been told the following may be an option

1. $1000 flight centre vouchers
2. Buy economy tickets for long haul and then upgrade to business class using QFF points
3. do a round the world trip or a melb to europe with a few stop over type of flight

thats all I can think of that would represent great value

what options were you suggesting?

yes good analysis,

im happy not to use the points and let it accumulate until somethign I really want to do comes along

from what ive been told the following may be an option

1. $1000 flight centre vouchers
2. Buy economy tickets for long haul and then upgrade to business class using QFF points
3. do a round the world trip or a melb to europe with a few stop over type of flight

thats all I can think of that would represent great value

what options were you suggesting?

TBH I've never investigated other options with CBA cards. The Dia Amex is good for me due to being fee free, ATO earning ability with Amex and the fact that I've been dovetailed into QFF for a while and have been working towards LTG status - now achieved :D Over the past 10 years I've redeemed >50 award flights with QFF, all of them long haul in F or J. I would never use points for economy.

Last edited:
TBH I've never investigated other options with CBA cards. The Dia Amex is good for me due to ATO earning ability with Amex and the fact that I've been dovetailed into QFF for a while and have been working towards LTG status - now achieved :D Over the past 10 years I've redeemed >50 award flights with QFF, all of them long haul in F or J. I would never use points for economy.

another dumb question, do you know a link which explains F and J etc. sorry ;)

Have had a CBA CC for many, many years (attached to mortgage) but never bothered cashing in any points.

I do occasionally have a look and see what the value is like, from what I've looked at, the best bang for buck is gift cards for K-Mart, Caltex, and the like. I think Flightcentre is slightly worse on a points/$ basis.

TBH I've never investigated other options with CBA cards. The Dia Amex is good for me due to being fee free, ATO earning ability with Amex and the fact that I've been dovetailed into QFF for a while and have been working towards LTG status - now achieved :D Over the past 10 years I've redeemed >50 award flights with QFF, all of them long haul in F or J. I would never use points for economy.

You must have signfiicant spending to get that many F or J flights

so are you doing stuff like Melb to UK , 256,000 qff points J

what else can you recommend

Love paying the ATO these days with my CBA Dia Amex!
Sweep points to QFFF for J & F Award seats which are best value for me... or upgrades to J or F.

Love paying the ATO these days with my CBA Dia Amex!
Sweep points to QFFF for J & F Award seats which are best value for me... or upgrades to J or F.

but they have a surcharge! wouldnt it essentially eliminate any benefits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back