CBA Cardholders: How to double your credit limit easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

one9

Qantas
Silver Club
Virgin
Red
I have upgraded my credit card several times with Commonwealth Bank. Firstly I had the standard Visa card. Then I upgraded to Gold card. Then I upgraded to Platinum card. Whenever you upgrade the standard procedure is that the day you activate your new card, the old card stops working.

But, it seems when upgrading/downgrading to the Woolworths Ezy Mastercard, the system is not so automated. I called up to see if I could change from the Platinum card to the Woolworths Ezy Mastercard. They said no as the Mastercard was offered by Ezybanking, which is a seperate section.

Anyway, I sent through the credit card migration form, and sure enough, I got the Woolworths Mastercard. To my surprise, the Platinum card was not cancelled. So one month on, I had two credit cards. The Ezy Mastercard had the same limit as my Platinum card.

But, just when I thought I had easily doubled my credit limit without needing to send in any credit increase form, a month and a half later ,my Platinum card was cancelled and the balance was transferred to the Ezy Mastercard.

So it seems, the system is not automated, and someone has to physically do it. So the fact that it took so long, may mean there is the possibility of them forgetting to cancel your old card.

Well, at least you can double your credit limit temporarily :)

Anyone out there earning $40,000 gross p.a, heavily in debt, having troubles getting new credit cards, then please take note how you can get deeper in debt in just 6 weeks!

one9 said:
I have upgraded my credit card several times with Commonwealth Bank. Firstly I had the standard Visa card. Then I upgraded to Gold card. Then I upgraded to Platinum card. Whenever you upgrade the standard procedure is that the day you activate your new card, the old card stops working.

Out of interest, one9, did your accrued CBA points also migrate to your upgraded card? Also, did it affect when the annual fee was due?(CBA charges the annual card fee 2 months after opening a card - I assume you didnt have to pay the (higher) annual fee each time you upgraded?)

The reason I ask is because I have a stack of points on my CBA Gold Visa. Before transferring them to QFF I was planning to migrate to a CBA Plat card, retaining the accrued points, then convert to QFF at 1:1, instead of the lower CBA Gold visa/QFF conversion rate. If your existing points follow you to the upgraded card, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Cheers

NC

New Chump said:
one9 said:

Out of interest, one9, did your accrued CBA points also migrate to your upgraded card? Also, did it affect when the annual fee was due?(CBA charges the annual card fee 2 months after opening a card - I assume you didnt have to pay the (higher) annual fee each time you upgraded?)

The reason I ask is because I have a stack of points on my CBA Gold Visa. Before transferring them to QFF I was planning to migrate to a CBA Plat card, retaining the accrued points, then convert to QFF at 1:1, instead of the lower CBA Gold visa/QFF conversion rate. If your existing points follow you to the upgraded card, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

when I upgraded from Gold to Platinum, my points followed me accross. So yes I transferred my points to Qantas at the 1 to 1 rate.

With the annual fee, I am not exactly certain. My belief is that you should be given a rebate for the amount of months of unused fee, and then charged the new fee. My Commonwealth bank profile was setup for it not to charge me a credit card fee, and it appears this has stayed on my account as I do not believe I have been charged a fee on any of my cards that I have had with the bank.

When you change to Woolworths Mastercard, your points do not transfer. This is because it is a completely different rewards program. A very basic program which allows you to either redeem for qantas points or woolworths shopping vocher.

so to transfer your existing points at 1:1 ratio, you will need to upgrade to the platinum card, not the woolworths card.

Just curious if the Ezy Card still allows uncapped earning with QF at 1:1?

IIRC, there was some discussion of migrating or "downgrading" from CBA Plat to the Woolies card. I only use the M/C or VISA for when Amex is not accepted. Cant seem to find it at the moment - must be the meds.

Looks like there just aren't that many options left for Australia based cards that can go into a QF account that are not subject to capping.

Currently have the ANZ FF Gold VISA and CBA Plat M/C - would like to turf them both. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back