Card Payment Surcharges Banned in Australia from 2026

Are you happy with the RBA's proposed changes to surcharging and interchange fees?


  • Total voters
    214
When I was a student I worked in restaurants.
For the last couple of years I was the manager some nights.
So I am speaking from that experience, not as a customer, no matter how frequent.
It was quite usual to fit in 3 sittings on busy nights - and even to do 4 on a few tables.

Yes common at some Asian restaurants I have frequented. Manager gets angsy if you linger too long after your meal.
 
From The Australian today, two extracts relating to impact on travel:

"Helloworld Travel Limited, which specialises in travel for people aged over 55, pointed to the “massive” impact of the ban on companies that regularly took payments of $20,000 or more.

“The impact of merchant fee on $15,000 to $20,000 is a lot more that on that cup coffee,” Helloworld executive director Cinzia Burnes said."

"Travel Agents Choice managing director Christian Hunter said a “coffee shop mentality has been applied to every business and industry”, leading to unexpected consequences that spanned from tourism to education, as schools across the country announced credit cards would no longer be accepted to pay tuition.

“This erodes very thin margins in our sector – we’re talking tens of thousands of dollars in extra costs,” he said."


 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top