Card Payment Surcharges Banned in Australia from 2026

Are you happy with the RBA's proposed changes to surcharging and interchange fees?


  • Total voters
    204
Lots of great photos going around today:

View attachment 523618
It seems like this shenanigan has not worked out too well for them
There's been so many bad reviews about the charge on Google Maps that they've renamed the business on there in an attempt to avoid people seeing the bad reviews and them getting any more.
I'm sure similar is happening on other platforms as well.
 
It seems like this shenanigan has not worked out too well for them
There's been so many bad reviews about the charge on Google Maps that they've renamed the business on there in an attempt to avoid people seeing the bad reviews and them getting any more.
I'm sure similar is happening on other platforms as well.

And a very suspicious number of unqualified 5* reviews all on the same day following all the negative reviews and name change.
 
My local cafe mysteriously and coincidentally increased the price of my morning coffee from 5.50 to $5.80 on Tuesday.
No announcement. Only noticed when I checked my daily transactions that evening.
 
Agreed. I am seeing many with a minimum 10% on weekends and 15+% on public holidays.
I just take my business elsewhere. These are not essential services
What I'd like to see is for someone with the skills to set up a website that crowd-sources these sorts of surcharges, so you can quickly and easily check a business before you decide to go there.

EDIT: I've found the new, but rapidly growing Surcharge.com.au which enables you to search through venues to find out if they're going to hit you with extra fees. They rely on user submissions, seems like a valuable resource and one worth contributing to.
 
Last edited:
The other thing that I have been seeing too much of is the TIP option...... 5%,10%, choose your own or NONE.

The cheek is when they as for the TIP during the ordering process and you haven't had your meal.
 
Agreed. I am seeing many with a minimum 10% on weekends and 15+% on public holidays.

I just take my business elsewhere. These are not essential services
Agreed. Or I literally plan not to eat/drink out on public holidays. It’s ridiculous how much they want as a surcharge. And really- staff needs to get paid a bit more? Well, that’s called running a successful business and it’s just part of it. Cry me a river!

We all see in the US where this leads when stingy business owners off load paying a fair wage to their employees! :rolleyes:
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top