Card not working this weekend - looks like major meltdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter_Plinge

Pathetic. Card declined when buying petrol. Bpay disabled. Can't make a repayment via bank account. This is the weekend of the cutover to Macquarie Bank. WEDR didn't mention the card wouldn't work so it looks like there's been a systems failure.

Pathetic. Card declined when buying petrol. Bpay disabled. Can't make a repayment via bank account. This is the weekend of the cutover to Macquarie Bank. WEDR didn't mention the card wouldn't work so it looks like there's been a systems failure.

Ouch. I've got to pay mine tomorrow so hope the website is working.

I am glad I did ATO just before this as I suspected the Silver Donut could become a work in progress from today. Being in Sydney I have been using Amex Ultimate for that extra half a point.

OK but why would we continue to use the card if we don't get it close to fee free.

The fee is now around $170 p.a for primary and supplementary card. Sure earning is 1 to 1 but nothing extra and no QF points for ATO (?).

So it therefore seems worse value compared to the Citi card which is also 1 to 1 earning (no ATO?) but only $49 p.a for QF points. I also get Priority Pass and other benefits. What am I missing here?

OK but why would we continue to use the card if we don't get it close to fee free.
Sure - we had a long hard think about that very thing.

And, indeed, this weekend we had decided to start using Citibank where Amex not taken - but the consideration that for us a Velocity point can have twice the redemption value of a Qantas point these days had a big bearing on that choice.

As for the web site - was able to log on, but many of the options (not that there were a lot) have been indeed stripped away.

Sure earning is 1 to 1 but nothing extra and no QF points for ATO (?).

Not sure why this keeps coming up. Jetstar MasterCard issued by MQ earns on ATO, so there's no reason this one won't. Of course, we need to wait a month or so for reports either way.

Not sure why this keeps coming up. Jetstar MasterCard issued by MQ earns on ATO, so there's no reason this one won't. Of course, we need to wait a month or so for reports either way.

Quite so. I'll quote user Medhead on another WEDR thread:

There seems to be a continuing theme of people reading the condition about no points for government fees and charges as applying to payments to the government. That clause is about government fees and charges on the credit card account, for example stamp duty, financial institutions duty. Not payments with the card to government entities.

At the moment I can't think of any government fees and charges that apply to such accounts.

... So it therefore seems worse value compared to the Citi card which is also 1 to 1 earning (no ATO?) but only $49 p.a for QF points. I also get Priority Pass and other benefits. What am I missing here?

You're not missing anything, perhaps other than Citi definitely doesn't pay on ATO and this card has in the past and probably will in the future. Some people (I for one) will keep both to keep their options open.

If you had to chose one - you would only keep this card over a fee free signature if you want to use it for ATO or you hated Citi and didn't want to deal with them.

I just tested mine at COLES and it's working ok. I'd say dodgy petrol station reader.

It might have come good later in the day. CBA Mastercard worked fine so the reader was OK.

Maybe. I had a similar issue in Dubai where one card worked and the other didn't. Tested the one that didn't work a couple of hours later and it was fine.

I realised I also shopped with it at COLES around 2 pm on Saturday with no problems. (That's not me putting COLES in caps it's my phone! btw)

I had problems paying my account over the weekend - a warning that the BPay code was not valid. Tested it this morning with a small (50 cent payment) and it worked okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back