Car rental rates during the pandemic

Happy Dude

Established Member
Solutions
I suspect the hire companies know exactly what they are doing. They know what to do to protect themselves during a downturn, they would not have done too badly in selling cars they couldn’t rent out and they will rebuy at prices we cannot access. And they are doing very well with their current rental stock obviously if they are renting out at higher prices.
That's fine but if the public decide that being reemed for hire cars (or accommodation) is something that might prevent them holidaying then they can't put their hand out for gov asssitance.

frequently

Intern
That's fine but if the public decide that being reemed for hire cars (or accommodation) is something that might prevent them holidaying then they can't put their hand out for gov asssitance.
here some rental car companies are slowly increasing their fleets, but being very cautious.

Easy to install and operate, this 10 in 1 lens kit can be used on your Smartphone.

The kit includes a 198 degree fisheye lens, 0.63x wide angle lens, 15x Macro lens, a super wide angle lens, 0.36X , 2x telephoto lens , Kaleidoscope Lens plus a circular polariser lens, star filter lens, flow filter lens.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Flashback

Enthusiast
Firefly is Europcar isn't it?

some buy or take over cars from other rental car companies. Noticed Hertz now have cheaper subsidiaries with older cars. They even share offices in places like Cairns city.

The last car I hired from Thrifty had 5 miles on the clock. Brand spanking.

frequently

Intern
just looking at vehicles out of Cairns for around 5 days mid July & late Sept & seems to be plenty around $60 to $80 mark per day. Plenty as in 6 choices of vehicles.

hachoo

Seeing some deals for Alamo in Hobart in August- having never used them before, how are they in general for car quality and service? Only used Avis and Europcar before and been pretty satisfied with both.

DC3

Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
just looking at vehicles out of Cairns for around 5 days mid July & late Sept & seems to be plenty around $60 to $80 mark per day. Plenty as in 6 choices of vehicles.
Rent a Wreck?

Scarlett

Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Firefly is Europcar isn't it?

The last car I hired from Thrifty had 5 miles on the clock. Brand spanking.
I thought Keddie was the Europcar LCC? I think I collected a firefly car from the Hertz counter once, but that's just a vague recollection.

And same with my last car, from Hertz PER: 30Km on the clock of a hybrid Corolla.

Scarlett

Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum
It may have been mentioned earlier, but km limits (then ¢/km thereafter) are creeping in - particularly in leisure destinations (eg CNS, DRW) - even on corporate rates.

500kms doesn’t go far in the NT 😡
Is this a case of vote with your wallet to disincentivise (is that a double negative? can you just centivise them???) that practice?

Flashback

Enthusiast
I thought Keddie was the Europcar LCC? I think I collected a firefly car from the Hertz counter once, but that's just a vague recollection.

And same with my last car, from Hertz PER: 30Km on the clock of a hybrid Corolla.
Ah yes, possibly - tiredness is confusing me!

Yipchoi

Virgin
Platinum

Yes Keddie is Low Cost product for E'Car, they designed that product so they can turn it on when utilisation is low and then turn it off when high.
They also use Keddie when pitching to Car Rental Brokers or Travel Agents, their other actual Low Cost Brand with physical branches is Inter Rent which was launched in Europe and NZ

suze2000

Established Member
It may have been mentioned earlier, but km limits (then ¢/km thereafter) are creeping in - particularly in leisure destinations (eg CNS, DRW) - even on corporate rates.

500kms doesn’t go far in the NT 😡
We had that on our honeymoon out of DRW 13 years ago. It's nothing new. If you don't rent in a Southern capital, you will always get slugged with 100km/day limit. Infuriating.

SYD

Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Who do people use for CDW insurance in Australia?
It’s normally included in local rentals but subject to an excess payable if there is claim. You can pay the rental company additional fees to reduce or remove the excess. Travel insurance might cover the excess and/or some credit card insurances. It pays to look closely at the rental agreements and insurance policies to avoid not being covered or paying twice/three times for redundant cover.

lovetravellingoz

Enthusiast
Solutions
It’s normally included in local rentals but subject to an excess payable if there is claim. You can pay the rental company additional fees to reduce or remove the excess. Travel insurance might cover the excess and/or some credit card insurances. It pays to look closely at the rental agreements and insurance policies to avoid not being covered or paying twice/three times for redundant cover.

Yes understood.

For my European car rentals I have used third party insurance as it is substantially cheaper than direct from the rental company. Plus they can cover other things apart from the excess removal such as tyre damage, windscreens etc

I used to have an ANZ Credit card that provided it for free in Australia, but no longer have the card. The European firm I usually use does not cover the vehicle I am looking at in Australia

For example Rental Car Insurance - From $8.99 a day | Rentalcarprotection is not as good as the european company.

Last edited:

SYD

Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Yes understood.

For my European car rentals I have used third party insurance as it is substantially cheaper than direct from the rental company. Plus they can cover other things apart from the excess removal such as tyre damage, windscreens etc

I used to have an ANZ Credit card that provided it for free in Australia, but no longer have the card. The European firm I usually use does not cover the vehicle I am looking at in Australia

For example Rental Car Insurance - From $8.99 a day | Rentalcarprotection is not as good as the european company.
Yeah, it’s bit of a murky minefield for the occasional renter.

Paying the rental company is probably the most expensive (especially if you’re already covered by TI and/or CC) but it can provide peace of mind. I had a motorcycle run into me in Costa Rica with a fully insured car. Just filled in a form and we were on our way. Another time in Adelaide, I was charged a couple $K and the TI didn’t cover it Because basically the car wasn‘t written off!

Not sure whether this is appropriate but having been born in Germany, I frequently check German websites for car rental, especially when local fares are high and for one way rentals. On the weekend, I booked a one way rental in NZ for early June, collecting in Nelson and returning in Queenstown. The booking is with Europcar (they wanted close to $NZ1,000 for the three days, mostly due to the one way fee), the website I have used several times brought that down to 167 Euro. This also includes excess free (!) insurance, the website is www.billiger-mietwagen.de!

Google Translate is your friend, I guess. Friends used it in Cairns during school holidays (early April) and they paid a third of what Europcar wanted, and the booking was with Europcar. Food for thought.

Made a booking using the german site for a 4 day trip to Melbourne, end of June.

The price difference is crazy. German site (europcar) - 200 EUR vs Europcar - $870. This is for a kia sportage or equivalent.
Now hoping the booking sticks.

Is there anyway to check the booking on europcar website?

burmans

ANZ credit card for me (its one of the reasons I still have mine) but there are a number of companies who offer this much cheaper than the hire car companies, google is your friend.

RB

Established Member
Who do people use for CDW insurance in Australia?
Our recent rental was a motorhome with high excess. After a fair bit of reading we used Prosura. I was intending to use Tripcover but at the time I needed to take out the cover Allianz were reviewing their relationship. I looked at Rentalcover but there seemed to be quite a few negative reviews by people who had actually had a claim and others who were not happy with ease of contact

lovetravellingoz

Enthusiast
Solutions
Our recent rental was a motorhome with high excess. After a fair bit of reading we used Prosura. I was intending to use Tripcover but at the time I needed to take out the cover Allianz were reviewing their relationship. I looked at Rentalcover but there seemed to be quite a few negative reviews by people who had actually had a claim and others who were not happy with ease of contact

Thank you. I have read through their website Prosura and PDS and they look to have good coverage including some items that not all cover.

Importantly for me they cover all public roads and not just surfaced ones. I like out of the way sites and so driving on gravel roads is quite common on my trips.

The wide vehicle type is a plus too.

1621421561260.png

Last edited:

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AUTraveller

Staff online