Cancel card & posting of points | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Cancel card & posting of points

Must...Fly!

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Hi all,

I can't seem to get a straight answer out of AMEX (I don't think they understand the question...) so thought I would ask here. I have a direct-earn QFF AMEX (The Westpac Black) which is coming up to a year's anniversary. I've decided to get rid of the card because the $199 annual fee is crazy for the (zero) benefits.

What happens to spend (and therefore points earned) but not yet credited to QFF before cancellation? Will they come through eventually, or are these points just forfeited and disappear in to the ether? I seem to remember you get a certain grace (30 days?) with AMEX MR after cancellation, but not sure how direct QFF cards are treated...

Cheers!

GPH

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
My understanding would be that they will be credited. However don’t bet the farm on anything CC related. You might try having the $199.00 waived on threat of cancellation?

ALH

AFF Supporter
They're not allowed to do that any more.
Who told you that? Just HUACA until you get someone who will do it.

My experience has been earned points will flow through after the cancellation.

SeaWolf

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
Who told you that? Just HUACA until you get someone who will do it.
The regulations have changed, once you've uttered the magic word 'cancel' they have to go through with it, no more putting the hard sell on you to keep the card. There are some creative ways to get around it which involve cancelling and reinstating the card, there's quite a bit of discussion around it here:

samh004

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
They're not allowed to do that any more.
The regulations have changed, once you've uttered the magic word 'cancel' they have to go through with it, no more putting the hard sell on you to keep the card. There are some creative ways to get around it which involve cancelling and reinstating the card, there's quite a bit of discussion around it here:
Indeed, I cancelled a card recently that I really did want to cancel. I wasn't even expecting them to offer me anything to keep it but then right at the end when it was finally sorted, they offered me thousands of points to take out a new card. Not reinstate it, but get the same card again. It was hard to resist.

Reactions: ALH

Manuka

If you cancel your card and your points are associated with an another airline like Virgin/Qantas or linked with Westpac then the points will transfer over as of the next scheduled transfer date regardless of account cancellation status

theblank

Established Member
AFF Supporter
What happens to spend (and therefore points earned) but not yet credited to QFF before cancellation?

Cheers!
you can stop using the card and cancel it after the points have settled with QFF and save yourself some fuss.
considering that you said you get no benefits from the annual fee, surely you care concnered about only a few dollars worth of points.

Must...Fly!

Established Member
AFF Supporter
you can stop using the card and cancel it after the points have settled with QFF and save yourself some fuss.
considering that you said you get no benefits from the annual fee, surely you care concnered about only a few dollars worth of points.
Annual fee due next statement as are the points :). Due to other circumstances I put a decent amount through the card a couple of weeks ago, hence my curiosity.

Thanks for the info all, I'll cancel the card today and report back later on

Must...Fly!

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Annual fee due next statement as are the points :). Due to other circumstances I put a decent amount through the card a couple of weeks ago, hence my curiosity.

Thanks for the info all, I'll cancel the card today and report back later on
Final update on this, the points transferred over and appeared in my QFF account as normal after cancelling the card. No issues at all

AFF on Air Podcast

• Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlh