lukus g

Intern
Qantas
Silver
Virgin
Red
Star Alliance
Gold
Hi All. I currently hold a Qantas Amex business card and I put most of my business transactions via that card. Can I option a personal Amex and still review the initial bonus points offer ?

Hi All. I currently hold a Qantas Amex business card and I put most of my business transactions via that card. Can I option a personal Amex and still review the initial bonus points offer ?
Yes. I have both and usually get similar offers on each that can be used seperately.

I have got bonus points for both business and consumer credit cards for NAB and Westpac in the past. However, in the case of AMEX, I think the answer is “it depends”

Below are an extract from the T&C for Amex business cards. The first is is a standard business credit card. The second is a business credit card issued for chartered accountants (which I am ). You will see that the first card says you are not entitled to the bonus points if you hold any other card for 18 months but the second says you can hold a consumer card.

So my advice is to check the terms of the card that you are applying for.

1C. 400,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points: Offer only available to new American Express Card Members who apply by 7 September 2022, are approved and spend $12,000 on their new Card in the first three (3) months from the Card approval date. Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for this offer.

16. Offer only available to new American Express Business Card Members who are members of an eligible Association and who apply by 19 October 2022 are approved, and spend $12,000 on their new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date. Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any Business Card issued by American Express Limited in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for this offer. Card Members who currently hold or previously held a consumer Card are eligible for this offer

Ah, good pick up. I didn’t realise OP was referring to signup bonuses.

Usually “No” unless there’s someway of keeping accounts seperate.

I dont think you are *supposed* to get both signup bonuses, however, I did. first applied for a personal card in July 2021 Explorer card, got the bonus, still held it while i signed up for a Qantas Business card in June 2022, got a second sign up bonus.

No, I had a personal AMEX, then obtained the Qantas Business Rewards AMEX for my business transactions. But because the card is still in my name, as an existing AMEX customer I didn't receive any signup bonus.

The second is a business credit card issued for chartered accountants (which I am ). You will see that the first card says you are not entitled to the bonus points if you hold any other card for 18 months but the second says you can hold a consumer card.
As a CA as well, that's incredibly useful to know. Thank you!

I hold personal Plat and recently tried to get business Plat - answer from AMEX re sign-on bonus pts was emphatic NO but as always YMMV

It's very much YMMV --- I get the sense that personal and business AMEX are run by different systems, so if I was to try this, I'd see it as a calculated risk.

It's very much YMMV --- I get the sense that personal and business AMEX are run by different systems, so if I was to try this, I'd see it as a calculated risk.
No, they’re totally linked (or supposed to be). My cards always have the same “Member since xx_X” and I see all my cards in the app and online. The same when I had a Corporate card in the past.

The only risk to you is not getting a signup bonus if they match the application to an existing member.

Pretty sure one of the questions in the new card application is something along the lines of “Existing AMEX card holder”. Presumably the reason being, if you have a good credit history with AMEX it ought to simplify the application process for a Business card (it was dead easy for me, compared with getting a business card from a new provider).

You probably won't get the bonus offer for the personal amex!

But you may be offered what I got, which was a 'companion' offer — sooo because I was holding a Qantas AMEX Ultimate, they offered me the AMEX Qantas Business Rewards for free (on the condition that I continue holding the Qantas AMEX Ultimate (which is my personal card).

My account manager is Shania ([email protected]) and she's a great AM and would be more than willing to explain it to you. Not sure if it's still available though as an offer!

You probably won't get the bonus offer for the personal amex!

But you may be offered what I got, which was a 'companion' offer — sooo because I was holding a Qantas AMEX Ultimate, they offered me the AMEX Qantas Business Rewards for free (on the condition that I continue holding the Qantas AMEX Ultimate (which is my personal card).

My account manager is Shania ([email protected]) and she's a great AM and would be more than willing to explain it to you. Not sure if it's still available though as an offer!
I’m yet to receive and offers for my QF Biz AMEX (predates QBR card) but I have received offers to upgrade my legacy personal “Gold” to an Ultimate card with 40K pts. I may well do it now that the reduced sovereign risks of Covid make the travel credit worthwhile.

I’m yet to receive and offers for my QF Biz AMEX (predates QBR card) but I have received offers to upgrade my legacy personal “Gold” to an Ultimate card with 40K pts. I may well do it now that the reduced sovereign risks of Covid make the travel credit worthwhile.
AMEX Personal Gold?? Is that a discontinued product because I have never seen it been made available in Australia. (I got into the credit card game in 2018) 😯

AMEX Personal Gold?? Is that a discontinued product because I have never seen it been made available in Australia. (I got into the credit card game in 2018) 😯
Yes, now discontinued I believe but both SYD+1 and I still have AMEX “Gold” credit cards via our respective professional bodies quite some time ago (again, no longer offered).

I still have my Gold Charge card - through that I got Edge for "Free" as my companion card. Net net, its a cheaper way for me to hold the Edge so I'm hanging onto mine for the time being as I know it's a legacy product. The Platinum is where it's at now with Gold point earn pretty pedestrian and on par with my Dragon Visa before the birthday bonus.

Back