Can a baby purchase tax free?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Boomtower14, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Boomtower14

Boomtower14 Junior Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Hi guys,

So I am in Japan and want to buy a ps4 before I leave. Would really love to get it tax free but realised I am on a perm visa/re-entry deal, my wife as well. But our 1 year old bub is on a tourist visa. Would this work? I mean obviously they will know it is for me, but do you think this is a plausible technicality?

Thanks!

2. Hvr

Hvr Senior Member

Jun 27, 2007
    MEL
    Have a look here: duty free concession

3. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    Which country do you want to avoid the tax in?

4. Boomtower14

Jan 24, 2014
    I just want to not pay tax on the purchase in Japan. I believe we can pool our concessions together so I don't think it will be any problem on the Australian end.

5. ermen

ermen Established Member

Oct 9, 2010
    HKG (was SYD/PER)
    I think OP's question read as being in relation to a tax free purchase of a PS4 in Japan whilst in that country as a permanent resident.

Why don't you just ask the shop whether you can use your child's passport...

6. Boomtower14

Jan 24, 2014
    Yeah I will. Was just hoping to look like I knew what I was talking about when I went in.