Can a baby purchase tax free? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Can a baby purchase tax free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomtower14

Hi guys,

So I am in Japan and want to buy a ps4 before I leave. Would really love to get it tax free but realised I am on a perm visa/re-entry deal, my wife as well. But our 1 year old bub is on a tourist visa. Would this work? I mean obviously they will know it is for me, but do you think this is a plausible technicality?

Thanks!

Hvr

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Have a look here: duty free concession

[h=3]General goods[/h] If you are aged 18 years or over, you can bring up to A$900 worth of general goods into Australia duty-free. If you are under 18 years of age there is a A$450 limit. General goods include gifts, souvenirs, cameras, electronic equipment, leather goods, perfume concentrates, jewellery, watches and sporting equipment.

markis10

Veteran Member
Hi guys,

So I am in Japan and want to buy a ps4 before I leave. Would really love to get it tax free but realised I am on a perm visa/re-entry deal, my wife as well. But our 1 year old bub is on a tourist visa. Would this work? I mean obviously they will know it is for me, but do you think this is a plausible technicality?

Thanks!
Which country do you want to avoid the tax in?

Boomtower14

I just want to not pay tax on the purchase in Japan. I believe we can pool our concessions together so I don't think it will be any problem on the Australian end.

ermen

AFF Supporter
I think OP's question read as being in relation to a tax free purchase of a PS4 in Japan whilst in that country as a permanent resident.

Why don't you just ask the shop whether you can use your child's passport...

Boomtower14

Yeah I will. Was just hoping to look like I knew what I was talking about when I went in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York – a feat it aims to ach ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mariamwales

Currently Active Users