Calling All Uber Drivers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the current Uber sign-up standards in regard to driving record and type of car?

In QLD the licencing is exactly the same as if you want to drive a taxi. I had to obtain an industry authority drivers licence to allow me to transport people commercially - same as a taxi driver, bus driver etc. To get that they do a police check. Not sure what sorts of offences would see you rejected though.

The car needs to be less than 7 or 8 (can't recall which) years old and needs to pass a roadworthy every 12 months.

Guilt by association? Complicit Fraud ? any number of legal actions might accrue from such behavior.

What's stopping a unblemished person getting an uber driver account and handing the info to a criminal friend to drive?
After wear and tear/petrol/insurance on car.... How do you actually make a profit from uber?
Destination mode of driving to work and weight of person vs petrol used (what's mathematical calculation for that) to determine if profit made?
Concerning the insurance, if you are injured in a road accident as a passenger, how are you covered legally as debated, unlike a taxi you don't have any coverage?
If you stuff up and don't get 5 stars or drop below 4.6..... How does the appeal process work as a driver to keep your account open?
Have they improved the system so that Eddie Macqurie took Mic Molloy uber..... Because Eddie jumped in and said "yep" to uber driver. Therefore Mick could not get another uber because the app had him in an uber?
When you call the contact centre in Australia are you getting an English/Australian person to discuss your issue?

What's stopping a unblemished person getting an uber driver account and handing the info to a criminal friend to drive?
<snip>

Nothing, taxi drivers do it all the time. The number of taxi drivers I've had who can barely speak English and aren't sure what city they're in is frightening. As for looking remotely like their taxi card photos, well maybe the same gender but nothing else.

At least if an Uber driver gets enough poor ratings their system is cancelled so that's a good preventative measure.

Concerning the insurance, if you are injured in a road accident as a passenger, how are you covered legally as debated, unlike a taxi you don't have any coverage?
<snip>

In Victoria TAC covers all passenger injuries in a motor vehicle collision.

A couple of questions: 1. what do you mean when you say you have "never not cancelled a job ...." ? 2. It seems you have a long term view of your time with Uber, are you doing this just for the money? Do you expect things to settle down and change once the disruption has eliminated the opposition (taxis) meaning a higher income for uber drivers ? 3. Do you see the "opportunist" drivers lasting and making a decent fist of it? 4. Is this for everyone? It occurs to me that as a supplementary semi retirement income stream, with flexible hours etc, it may be appealing to some of the older AFF'rs looking to still travel, and yet earn a little extra, without being tied to a job or fixed hours.

1. Yes, I guess my statement is a little confusing. I have cancelled jobs previously for all sorts of reasons but I never cancelled because it was going to benefit me. I have cancelled because I didn't want to inconvenience them. They would have been better off to try another Uber. eg. Driving west down William St towards the city (Sydney), I get a ping for a job at Potts Point which at the time is behind me. (maybe 1km away) I take the next right turn into Bourke St (not being familiar with the area back then) and don't realise that Bourke St at that point is a one way ramp entrance onto the Eastern Distributor. Knowing then that there is no chance I can do U turn or turn off for many Km's. So I cancel the job at no charge to the rider. That's just one example. I found as I gained experience and now do less cancellations. In fact Uber monitor your cancellations and I am currently showing at 0%.

2. I honestly don't see taxis being eliminated. In fact I see them adapting to this threat in their own way as they have already done with a similar App called GoCatch. In the USA the tend is for the prices with Uber to go down not up. Many driver is the USA are complaining because Uber has cut the rates by more than 50% in some cases in the USA. Why because there are other ride share companies entering that market. I do this for the money, flexibility, keeps me from going stir crazy in an apartment, like meeting interesting people. I still do some volunteering work as well.

3. Not sure what you mean by 'Opportunist'. Can you make a living doing Uber... Yes...is it a hard slog... Yes. You have to be smart and play the game correctly. I don't really. My car is not ideal for Uber and I refuse to work Friday and Saturday nights. That's when you can earn the big bucks in a short time frame. I drive a 2014 Holden Calais sedan so I don 't want drunks spewing all over my nice car.

4. Not for everyone (like most jobs) but if you like meeting new people and have a gift of the gab it is ideal to earn a bit of extra cash.

You have described me to a tee. I retired 3 years ago and love travelling so the money I earn goes towards our travel budget. Before I signed up with Uber I spoke to my accountant and we did some sums. He worked out I can earn $30K tax free. I still have plenty of deductions that I can take advantage of. (as well as the deductions you get by running the business)

1. What's stopping a unblemished person getting an uber driver account and handing the info to a criminal friend to drive?
2. After wear and tear/petrol/insurance on car.... How do you actually make a profit from uber?
3. Destination mode of driving to work and weight of person vs petrol used (what's mathematical calculation for that) to determine if profit made?
4. Concerning the insurance, if you are injured in a road accident as a passenger, how are you covered legally as debated, unlike a taxi you don't have any coverage?
5. If you stuff up and don't get 5 stars or drop below 4.6..... How does the appeal process work as a driver to keep your account open?
6. Have they improved the system so that Eddie Macqurie took Mic Molloy uber..... Because Eddie jumped in and said "yep" to uber driver. Therefore Mick could not get another uber because the app had him in an uber?
7. When you call the contact centre in Australia are you getting an English/Australian person to discuss your issue?

1. As others have stated there is nothing stopping this from happening. However when you get a driver you also have his photo on the app. If they don't match then report it.

2. Being smart... there is a lot of drivers out there that complain about the rates however they still drive. I run everything through a spreadsheet to keep track. I am also about to change from the spreadsheet and run it through a cheap accountancy programme.

3. I use the destination mode for going home. I don't spend a lot of time figuring out the profitability for this function suffice to say that if I even get a minimum paid fare going home that will pay for the petrol. I have also had 4 jobs going home as well.

4. Uber has it's own insurance and I have Rideshare insurance with NRMA. Everybody is covered.

5.Don't know... I am currently 4.9 so hopefully I won't find out. I have heard some horror stories that drivers have lost their access to the platform with no appeal process available. I think it may differ from country to country but don't know what the rules are here in Australia.

6. Sorry, you lost me on that one...

7. You can't ring Uber at all. You can only contact them via the App or the webpage. They do have what they call 'Greenlight Centres'. In Sydney they have 2. One in Concord and the other in Rockdale. Concord is the main one and you can speak to someone in person. I believe the Rockdale branch is only for new sign ons... I have been told from an Australian Uber staff member that all the Australian emails goes to Manilla, Philippines.

Last edited:
Rules (or lack of) vary by state but generally...

Taxis do NOT get to see destinations in normal circumstances, exceptions for disabled people, children etc, school jobs etc.
Ubers minimal insurance policy has NEVER been tested to my knowledge, if they get found guilty before a court they just pay the plantiff off and have non disclosure agreements.
Most accidents are paid for by the same government insurance pool (MAIC, TAC etc) just the same as everybody elses normal car...therefore increasing premiums for everyone.
Not all uber drivers even pay the minimal increase for proper "ride share" CTP, this violates the acts in most states and means NO CTP for passenger.
Taxis are in a SEPARATE pool and dont contribute to increasing normal vehicle pool costs. Normal pool CTP about $500, Taxi pool CTP about $6000.
20 -30% of every uber fare is shipped off to the Netherlands TAX FREE...what happened to Buy Australian?
Many uber and Taxi drivers pay no 10% GST as they should either.
Uber and Taxis share MANY of the same drivers so they both have the same driver standard problems...both have good and bad.
You have to do something pretty bad to be deactivated by Uber...taxis are not that much better...but believe it or not, there is not an oversupply of drivers for either system...especially the clean cut, english speaking, knowing where they are going with good personal and vehicle hygiene kind that the public demand nowadays.
Ubers star rating system does as much good as phoning in a complaint to a Taxi company ie nothing! Unless it in writing and on camera/facebook/TV nothing will happen.
GPS does not know where you are going...only where you have been, this is why many jobs are behind you...this is why both drivers say "It's too far away, someone else can do it"
This is why you see 5 cars right near you but none pick you up...they WERE there, they are not anymore...there is a delay...this is not a TV show with "live" satellite feeds from the Pentagon.
Uber GPS tracks a phone which can be turned off...Taxis track the vehicle with multiple systems hardwired into the vehicle.
Taxis have govt mandated security cameras, only police can access footage.
Many uber drivers use personal dash cams, front and rear facing, no laws on what they do with footage...general privacy act may apply but will be too late when your drunken antics are all over Facebook and the news because you gave the driver 1 Star.
Uber surge price, multiple times the fare during busy times...thats unfair, do restaurants charge more at peak eating hours?
The public know this now and they will uber IN to an event, and TRY to Taxi home, I say TRY because many of the Taxis are now parked as the drivers switch to Uber after 10pm looking for the surges.
Everybody loses...uber drivers, taxi operators and the public.
Taxi drivers were never making fortunes, but they didnt have to provide a vehicle, uber drivers definitely wont make money, they just trade devaluing their car for money now.

Every Uber driver problem has already been experienced by Taxi drivers...every Uber passenger problem has been experienced by Taxi passengers.
This is why we had so many laws for Public Transport in the first place!

I cant understand the logic...the only ones benefitting from this mess are Uber and lawyers.

Uber surge price, multiple times the fare during busy times...thats unfair, do restaurants charge more at peak eating hours?

Given we are on a frequent flyer forum, what about airlines, do they charge more at peak times of days, peak times of the year? Absolutely!

And some restaurants do charge less for "theatre" sittings with cheaper menus, between certain hours before the peak crowd hits.

A question for drivers and pax, have you noticed any changes to the pickup location or difficulty locating pax since the last app update at all?

1. Yes, I guess my statement is a little confusing. I have cancelled jobs previously for all sorts of reasons but I never cancelled because it was going to benefit me. I have cancelled because I didn't want to inconvenience them. They would have been better off to try another Uber. eg. Driving west down William St towards the city (Sydney), I get a ping for a job at Potts Point which at the time is behind me. (maybe 1km away) I take the next right turn into Bourke St (not being familiar with the area back then) and don't realise that Bourke St at that point is a one way ramp entrance onto the Eastern Distributor. Knowing then that there is no chance I can do U turn or turn off for many Km's. So I cancel the job at no charge to the rider. That's just one example. I found as I gained experience and now do less cancellations. In fact Uber monitor your cancellations and I am currently showing at 0%.

2. I honestly don't see taxis being eliminated. In fact I see them adapting to this threat in their own way as they have already done with a similar App called GoCatch. In the USA the tend is for the prices with Uber to go down not up. Many driver is the USA are complaining because Uber has cut the rates by more than 50% in some cases in the USA. Why because there are other ride share companies entering that market. I do this for the money, flexibility, keeps me from going stir crazy in an apartment, like meeting interesting people. I still do some volunteering work as well.

The issue for me with taxis is that they are often a way for illiterate (in English) new immigrants to get a toe hold in their new country. The number of times I have had to tell a Sydney taxi driver to stop "pumping" the accelerator while driving is ridiculous. It has reached the stage now where I prefer to catch a train from the airport, and I don't care for public transport at the best of times, let alone being ripped off just because I catch the train from an airport.
The issue of pricing the ride is an interesting one, competition in and of itself is a good thing, I suspect though that leaving that control in the hands of the ride sharing coy is not ideal, not sure what the answer is to that one though

3. Not sure what you mean by 'Opportunist'. Can you make a living doing Uber... Yes...is it a hard slog... Yes. You have to be smart and play the game correctly. I don't really. My car is not ideal for Uber and I refuse to work Friday and Saturday nights. That's when you can earn the big bucks in a short time frame. I drive a 2014 Holden Calais sedan so I don 't want drunks spewing all over my nice car.

Opportunist in this instance is someone who ordinarily wouldn't either make the effort or wouldn't make the grade. They are the people that for whatever reason tend to take shortcuts in life, and consequently lower the collective quality of the service.

4. Not for everyone (like most jobs) but if you like meeting new people and have a gift of the gab it is ideal to earn a bit of extra cash.

This may sound trite, but I agree that if you're not inclined to be friendly and service minded, maybe there is something else one should do, you clearly enjoy the experience and tailor it to suit your needs.

You have described me to a tee. I retired 3 years ago and love travelling so the money I earn goes towards our travel budget. Before I signed up with Uber I spoke to my accountant and we did some sums. He worked out I can earn $30K tax free. I still have plenty of deductions that I can take advantage of. (as well as the deductions you get by running the business)

I suspect that a lot of people who retire, shorten their life span because they "abruptly" stop work, and / or any form of active interest.
I like the concept in this (your case) because I like to drive . Mrs GPH doesn't care for driving , I think a road trip is one of life's great enjoyments, she prefers to fly (I do as well, but I still like to drive). I look forward to hearing more from you and your experiences. Thanks for a great set of responses.

A question for drivers and pax, have you noticed any changes to the pickup location or difficulty locating pax since the last app update at all?
Yes. Not a lot, but sometimes the pickup point will be off by a house or two. It will indicate a specific address, but the passenger will appear from the next house, or across the road or around the corner.

My problem is that I have nothing else to go on. The passenger knows where they are, but I don't know their precise location, nor who they are.

Also if the passenger moves, their dot on their map moves, but not on the driver's app. Seems that when I drive the car to the dot on my map, the car also appears at their dot, even if there is a hundred metres separating the two. From their perspective, Uber says there's a car right in front of them, but it isn't, and then after a few minutes the idiot driver messages to say he's waiting at an address a few houses away.

Worthwhile checking the address Uber comes up with.

1. I occasionally cancel a job. If I'm near the end of my shift and near home, I'll be reluctant to take a job that will keep me on the road for longer and most likely take me in the wrong direction. I usually finish about 0830, so there'll be plenty of other Ubers around. Otherwise (mostly before dawn), I'll do everything I can to pick someone up. They might be catching the early flight, or trying to sneak home in a short dress before the neighbours notice.

2. There are some things taxis do better. Like picking people up from a busy rank at the airport or an event. But mostly Uber does point to point better. The problem with local taxi apps is that they aren't as well-designed, and can't be used internationally. It's like some local mob trying to compete with Google or Visa or Apple.

3. As an ex-cabbie, I find that the per hour rate is about the same. I get more in the hand from Uber, but I also have to pay my expenses. TCO for a newish car is about $250 a week. Anything above that is gravy, but it works out to a pitiful hourly rate. I could drive the drinking night shifts and really clean up, but it's sometimes a hassle dealing with drunk and emotional people. If they aren't at the indicated pickup spot, they might blame me and rate me down. I drive the family car, so I don't want to raise the chance of chuck and yuck. Uber will reimburse my cleaning expenses, but it will never be the same.

I like the money, I like the driving, I like the social aspect, I like feeling that I'm doing something useful. I'd hate to be living off it, but I've got my public service pension, and this gives me a little extra money for travel.

Not all uber drivers even pay the minimal increase for proper "ride share" CTP, this violates the acts in most states and means NO CTP for passenger.
Taxis are in a SEPARATE pool and dont contribute to increasing normal vehicle pool costs. Normal pool CTP about $500, Taxi pool CTP about $6000.

20 -30% of every uber fare is shipped off to the Netherlands TAX FREE...what happened to Buy Australian?

Many uber and Taxi drivers pay no 10% GST as they should either.

Uber and Taxis share MANY of the same drivers so they both have the same driver standard problems...both have good and bad.
You have to do something pretty bad to be deactivated by Uber...taxis are not that much better...but believe it or not, there is not an oversupply of drivers for either system...especially the clean cut, english speaking, knowing where they are going with good personal and vehicle hygiene kind that the public demand nowadays.

Ubers star rating system does as much good as phoning in a complaint to a Taxi company ie nothing! Unless it in writing and on camera/facebook/TV nothing will happen.

GPS does not know where you are going...only where you have been, this is why many jobs are behind you...this is why both drivers say "It's too far away, someone else can do it"

This is why you see 5 cars right near you but none pick you up...they WERE there, they are not anymore...there is a delay...this is not a TV show with "live" satellite feeds from the Pentagon.

Uber GPS tracks a phone which can be turned off...Taxis track the vehicle with multiple systems hardwired into the vehicle.

Taxis have govt mandated security cameras, only police can access footage.

Many uber drivers use personal dash cams, front and rear facing, no laws on what they do with footage...general privacy act may apply but will be too late when your drunken antics are all over Facebook and the news because you gave the driver 1 Star.

The public know this now and they will uber IN to an event, and TRY to Taxi home, I say TRY because many of the Taxis are now parked as the drivers switch to Uber after 10pm looking for the surges.

Everybody loses...uber drivers, taxi operators and the public. Taxi drivers were never making fortunes, but they didnt have to provide a vehicle, uber drivers definitely wont make money, they just trade devaluing their car for money now.

Every Uber driver problem has already been experienced by Taxi drivers...every Uber passenger problem has been experienced by Taxi passengers.
This is why we had so many laws for Public Transport in the first place!

I cant understand the logic...the only ones benefitting from this mess are Uber and lawyers.
If an Uber driver isn't paying the higher insurance, he won't be able to upload the correct docs and Uber won't let him on the platform until that's fixed.

Uber is benefiting from the same tax loopholes that every other multinational is. This is a global problem, not Uber or Australia alone.

Avoiding GST only works so far. Uber pays money into Australian bank accounts, and the ATO can spot those deposits. Not all Uber payments are subject to GST - and yes, Uber doesn't pay it - but the ATO will have a rough idea how much the driver should be paying and that's going to catch up with them.

Greedy and unsafe taxi drivers have an incentive to drive - they'll earn more money by taking shortcuts (and the"long way"), and there's rarely any comeback. Uber drivers who bend the rules get rated down and kicked off.

Drivers who are smart and well-spoken, look after their passengers etc. can generally get better-paying jobs. I happen to like Uberdrivering, but money isn't my main focus.

Uber's rating system works well. Drop below 4.6 stars out of five, you get kicked off the platform. Passengers get an email showing times and places of start and end, and the route followed. Drivers who don't take an efficient route are easily identified.

GPS knows where the driver is - it is getting the information off the driver's phone - and will assign the closest car to a job. Yes, sometimes this is the wrong way down a one way street, or the driver is in the wrong lane to make a turn, but generally it works well. I've often been a few metres from somebody making a request and can have them on the road in seconds.

I've studied the way the cars are presented on the map. It's usually pretty accurate and any lag is on the order of a few seconds, rather than minutes. I can drive down the road watching my progress on the passenger app and it will lag maybe a half-block.

Yes, an Uber driver can turn the phone off, but the instant he does that, the tracking stops and he's not going to be getting paid. It *might* happen, but I can't see any advantage in doing it. Even if he did manage to pull some sort of shonky, the passenger will likely spot it because the end of ride map won't correspond to the reality - especially if the fare is somehow out of the ordinary.

I won't comment on taxi security cameras except to say they usually aren't much help to driver or passenger. Police aren't going to get involved for minor stuff that involves effort on their part.

If an Uber driver has an internal camera - some do - then don't go blaming him for being amused by your drunken antics. Any Uber driver posting frivolous footage on social media is going to be in hot water. I have, however, seen drivers post footage of assaults and racial abuse.

I don't agree with the Uber surge model. I think that if there's a hundred passengers wanting one of the ten available Ubers, then a surcharge to get priority treatment is reasonable. I don't think paying a surcharge for all the ride, especially for those parts where there is no surge demand, is fair on the passenger. Some rides can end up costing many times a cab fare.

Some Uber drivers go hunting surge fares. These are generally the same drivers who won't drive to a railway station to pick up a passenger who is likely only going a few blocks. I think that this is a poor strategy, and they remain idle waiting for lucrative fares which may not come. The way to make money is to have a passenger in the car and the wheels turning.

Some Uber drivers get sucked in by the inflated promises. The return is never going to be high, and a net of $20 an hour is about as good as it's ever going to get. For a good driver. But I'm making money, enjoying a good part-time job, and my passengers are reporting satisfaction with the system. If they were losing out, they wouldn't be so enthusiastic. Most tell me that they will NEVER take another cab.

It's not the mess implied. Uber is certainly raking in the money, but drivers are doing okay, and passengers love Uber. The taxi industry had a monopoly for decades, and they didn't lift their game. It's not going to go back the way it was, and the lazy, the greedy, the slovenly, and the dishonest are getting the short end of the stick.

In a few years, the drivers will be removed from the equation altogether. Self-driving cars will leave very little room for the traditional taxi and cut costs severely. It would be possible for a self-driving Uber to charge a dollar a ride, regardless of length, and still make money driving 24/7. The current taxi drivers will be the ones cleaning and restocking cars at three in the morning when there's some downtime.

Think about it. If a self-driving electric car costs about the same as a new Commodore, then you can buy one, hook it into some crowd-sourced system, and have it earning money when you don't need it. Which could be all day, every day. Anything over 1.5 rides per hour at a dollar a pop, and you're making a profit.

When you get pinged about a job do you see the customer's destination?
The destination is a mystery until the passenger is in the car and the ride started. I just take it as the luck of the draw and do my best. Trying to avoid short fares and grab long ones is a mug's game. There's only so many cancellations you can do before Uber kicks you off.

Besides, a driver lucky enough to get a string of short fares is making more than he would be driving one long fare. There's a minimum fare amount of $6, and I'm more than happy to do one of those every five minutes.

Given we are on a frequent flyer forum, what about airlines, do they charge more at peak times of days, peak times of the year? Absolutely!

And some restaurants do charge less for "theatre" sittings with cheaper menus, between certain hours before the peak crowd hits.

Don't forget public holiday and in some cases a weekend surcharge. So not quite the right analogy to use...

Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

A couple of questions: 1. what do you mean when you say you have "never not cancelled a job ...." ? 2. It seems you have a long term view of your time with Uber, are you doing this just for the money? Do you expect things to settle down and change once the disruption has eliminated the opposition (taxis) meaning a higher income for uber drivers ? 3. Do you see the "opportunist" drivers lasting and making a decent fist of it? 4. Is this for everyone? It occurs to me that as a supplementary semi retirement income stream, with flexible hours etc, it may be appealing to some of the older AFF'rs looking to still travel, and yet earn a little extra, without being tied to a job or fixed hours.
The "opposition" taxis aren't going to vanish any time soon. Self-driving cars are a bigger threat to taxis than Uber is. Besides, there's a considerable overlap between taxi drivers and Uber drivers. If driving for Uber works out better for a driver than cabbing, they'll switch off their own bat.

Not sure what you mean by "opportunist" drivers. Those who cut corners and rip off the passengers have less of a chance with Uber, because everything is monitored and rated.

Those who jumped in at the start and worked out how to make money have done very well. Uber generally cuts the fares after a year or so, and while this works out well for Uber, not so much for the drivers. More work for less reward and pretty soon there's not enough hours in the day to make serious money, regardless of how many passengers want to be driven somewhere.

It's good for those wanting a part time job. Some just turn on the app during their normal commute, hoping to get someone going the same way. Some drive twelve hours a day - like a cabbie - and make about the same amount of money. Me, I drive twenty hours a week, mostly before dawn, and it pays for the car and a bit extra. I like it, but I also keep strict records and if I were to drop below about ten dollars an hour net, I'd give it up.

Do your homework before signing up as a driver. A clean record, a roadworthy car only a few years old, a bit of time, and work out the return for the hours you want to drive.

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back