BPAY Payment transfer above Credit Limit for Qantas AMEX Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

bneslsc

Hi FF Crew,

I have just got a new Qantas American Express Premium card with a $2000 limit, which isn’t much at all and considering the limit on my VISA card, I am a bit shocked at the limit. I would like to book at $13,000 business class and still get the 2.25 points per $ spent on Qantas flights but obviously the limit prohibits me spending this amount. I have the cash available and I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to BPAY $13,000 to my AMEX and still be allowed to conduct an $13,000 transaction on the AMEX while still earning the 2.25 points per dollar spent?

Thanks in advance for your help!

BNESLSC

Hi FF Crew,

I have just got a new Qantas American Express Premium card with a $2000 limit, which isn’t much at all and considering the limit on my VISA card, I am a bit shocked at the limit. I would like to book at $13,000 business class and still get the 2.25 points per $ spent on Qantas flights but obviously the limit prohibits me spending this amount. I have the cash available and I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to BPAY $13,000 to my AMEX and still be allowed to conduct an $13,000 transaction on the AMEX while still earning the 2.25 points per dollar spent?

BNESLSC

Hi and welcome to AFF!

IME you can Bpay any amount. However Amex will try to refund the money to an account so the best bet would be to time the Bpay to arrive the same day as the flight will be billed.

YMMV and others may have different stories as we all know Amex can be variable in their dealings.

ejb

I suggest you contact Amex and ask them the best way around the problem. They may be more than happy to let you go over limit briefly whilst both transactions are processed.

Hi FF Crew,

BNESLSC

Hi, I stongly don't recommend you to use this way, AMEX will block your card immediately and you won't be using this card until receive a new one. You can try to ring them to see if they can help you to increase the limited but most of the time with no luck. I had the same situation as you.

Ring Amex and discuss the situation with them. Rather than say you want o earn points just say it is more convenient to use the Amex. ISTR thy Amex won't have a problem in general provided they are informed before hand. But then my memory is pretty bad.

I've had no problem bpaying extra to my amex mid billing cycle to cover large transactions. But the amounts where within my limit.

Unlikely Amex would tell you it's ok to prepay against an credit card - this is normally only done for charge cards, if I were you I would just do the bpay to put it into credit.

Likely they will stop the card and call you, when they do just tell them that you're making a purchase and didn't know you couldn't do the prepay - may have to wait 7 days for them to release the card as they wait for the payment to 'clear'.

After you've had it for 9 months request a limit increase in writing - this may give a higher new limit as over the phone increases used to be more conservative.

The issue is that the transaction is greater than the limit. 2 things are required to make the transaction the money has to be available and Amex have to know about the proposed transaction. It isn't really a prepayment situation, what I'm suggesting is that Amex may make an arrangement where they will accept the purchase if money is provided to cover the overlimit amount.

IMO it is much better to be upfront than to risk having the transaction declined or to have Amex chase you. Especially when the purchase is 4 or 5 times the limit.

The issue is that the transaction is greater than the limit. 2 things are required to make the transaction the money has to be available and Amex have to know about the proposed transaction. It isn't really a prepayment situation, what I'm suggesting is that Amex may make an arrangement where they will accept the purchase if money is provided to cover the overlimit amount.

IMO it is much better to be upfront than to risk having the transaction declined or to have Amex chase you. Especially when the purchase is 4 or 5 times the limit.

Agree with your approach in terms of common sense, I think Amex sometimes values it's own policies over common sense:!:

That's why I suggest that by doing the bpay first there is a better chance of success - once the money is there and someone in Amex credit confirms it's ok to proceed with purchasing the ticket. IE it's easier to get rid of it through a purchase on the card rather than Amex refund it by cheque as this will cost them money to do...

Technically what the OP is trying to do is in contravention to T&Cs, I believe if they call up to request it they will be told they cannot use the card in this manner.

It is a difficult question hence the variable advice. As you say it's probably best to suck it and see.

....but be aware that they could shut the card down.

So, it would seem. Personally, I'd ring to discuss the situation but there doesn't seem to be a correct answer, a difficult question. :confused:

Likely they will stop the card and call you, when they do just tell them that you're making a purchase and didn't know you couldn't do the prepay - may have to wait 7 days for them to release the card as they wait for the payment to 'clear'.

3 months ago I had the same problem.I wanted to buy 2 J class fares of $12500 and a cruise payment of $13000.I Bpayed 2 days before a payment due.Payments on 3 consecutive days.My limit was $5000.
First went through no problems.
Second went through but had to be re presented by TA on the same day.
Third shut the card down until i called-still had to use a substitute card.The explanation on the third occasion was that the first 2 Bpays were for $9500,the third $11000 and triggered the money laundering provisos so detected immediately rather than after the payment was made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back