Book Now or Wait Dilemma

Vulcano

Newbie
Joined
Nov 30, 2021
Posts
8
Hi
I'm new here but I've got this dilemma about booking to go OS.

Every year I fly to the Island of Vulcano as I have land there. Next year I plan to start a farm on my land (retiring).
To get there I usually go to EU then flight to Catania, now train to Messina and Ferry to the island.

The thing is with all this COVID and new strains I'm not sure if I should book, lock in the trip and just hope all is good ???

One of my kids works at Flight Centre and usually saves me about 10% (0 commission) on my business class flights.....yes I'm spoilt but thats what I worked for.

Anyway I wanted this time to go BA (I know shes told me) but it's 13 hrs at Singapore. I figured I could stay in the lounge but seems many lounges like BA are closed.

So I guess I'm asking the experts here would you book or wait and maybe later pay a higher fare but know everrthing is good to go ?

My daughter says my BA fare would have a $300 cancellation fee....just dont know what to do.
 

andye

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Posts
5,189
Virgin
Platinum
Odd advice on a FF forum but if you're not certain if you want to fly or not, I'd probably wait.

I am desperately keen to travel (family wedding and really enjoy flying) but have found the last month pretty stressful sorting it out with all the twists and turns of changing restrictions. (I accept this may be in part due to the time-constraints we are under for dates and our return to work).

The SIN layover would be OK if you are allowed to leave the airport but pretty hard if not. I did have a similar one at DXB once. I found myself drinking red wine with salmon at breakfast time which was when I worked out I had had too much lounge time 😉
 

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Posts
20,077
Qantas
Platinum
I'd be booking a perhaps imperfect, but cancellable flight and then wait and see. You could either cancel outright if things are bad, or cancel in favour of a better ride when things are clearer; or, if things get too expensive, take the imperfect option.
 

albatross710

Established Member
Joined
May 15, 2004
Posts
3,437
For the amount of money for your J flights, you are going to have far more negotiation power if the money is in your hands until you are ready to book 2-3 months in advance.

Expect February to be a competitive time for booking.

As for refunds Airlines and particularly Flight Centre were not very forthcoming with refunds during covid.

My thoughts keep your money until you closer to your departure.
 

eric2011

Established Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2011
Posts
2,205
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
We are back in an uncertain world yet again and overseas flights may or may not be back on the cards.

For the layover in SIN, back in the good old days there was the hotel airside at SIN. For 13 hours I would check that out
 

Ade

Established Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2019
Posts
1,266
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Welcome to AFF, @Vulcano, glad to have you here :)

re : The dilemma - almost everyone I know is in the dilemma - "to book or not to book, is the question" - I think the best way to handle these dilemma, IMHO, is to see how important/desperate is the need to do the travel.

I have had to cancel a lot of flights due to ever-changing restrictions, quarantine needs etc etc and I have come to the point where ;

a. I will try to postpone my trips as much as possible (due to work commitments, I can't quarantine) and book only when it's absolutely necessary (say, something that needs me to be present physically at a certain place at a certain time)

b. I always buy Flex tickets, just to be safe & sure of a full refund, should things go south

c. Try and book longer trips, instead of shorter ones - so that it would be easier to get an exemption. This might no longer be applicable, but never know if this restriction might come back, thanks to Omicron!

Given that you are considering farming, which I'd assume would take a longer time to do ? so a longer trip, starting now, when there is no restrictions on outbound travel and you can choose to return, say in, 9 or 12 months time?

d. Is there someone else who can do that job in your place and you are able to coordinate things online?
 
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Posts
561
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Welcome also @Vulcano - for someone who is planning to starting farming on the Island of Vulcano (had to look it up on Google Maps) in retirement, you are clearly not risk averse. However - depending on which month you plan to depart OZ I would book now if in Q2 or Feb if Q2. I'd also book flights with minimal transit times just in case .....
 

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Top