book amex hotel using plat travel credit then cancel hotel do you loose the travel credit?

tinkybelle

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
now that they put the travel credit in your account if you book a hotel then cancel months later do they take the travel credit back??

Yes ..you forfeit/lose the travel credit.

If your Card has a Travel Credit benefit, the Primary Card Member is eligible for an annual Travel Credit, subject to the full Travel Credit Terms and Conditions. The Travel Credit can be redeemed through American Express Travel Online on a single eligible travel booking by selecting the Travel Credit when you checkout. To redeem the Travel Credit, the full value of the Travel Credit (or more) must be charged to the eligible Primary Card. Eligible travel includes flights, hotels and car hire when you prepay in advance. The Travel Credit can be used for 365 days from the benefit anniversary date and cannot be used past the expiration date. To check the expiration date of your Travel Credit if you have not already redeemed it, please visit americanexpress.com.au/travel; log in and click ‘Travel Credit . If your booking is cancelled, and your Travel Credit has already been used and associated statement credit applied to your account, you will forfeit your annual Travel Credit benefit and American Express may reverse the statement credits issued. You need to be able to spend on the Card to access the Travel Credit benefit and it should be credited to your Card Account within 3 business days but may take up to 30 days. Your account must be in good standing and you must have paid the annual fee and minimum payment by the due date. If you cancel your Card, change your rewards program or Card type, you will no longer be eligible for the Travel Credit.

But now they just give you the money after charging full price for the hotel I cannot see how they will claw back has anyone had experience with this

Not sure what you are asking in your fellowup .. but to answer your original question 'you will forfeit your annual Travel Credit benefit' .. end of story. It's gone.

Travel Credit will be considered used as a statement credit.
However, let say you cancelled the booking you will get it as a refund and not travel credit anymore

I have done this recently where I used my Travel Credit for a hotel booking which I then cancelled.

You do lose the Travel Credit however it is now treated as a Statement Credit so the $450 will appear on the corresponding monthly statement.

You will still get the booking refunded of whatever amount you paid after applying the Travel Credit.

I’m confused by the term “forefit”

I book a $600 hotel. I pay $600 for it. I get a statement credit of $450.

I cancel the hotel. I get the hotel amount of $600 refunded. Does Amex then also take back the $450?

So if I want to change a FHR booking. I have to cancel the booking and re-book. Do lose the $450?

The contact centre says I won’t lose the $450, but the T&C’s say “Amex may reverse the statement credits issued”.

Last edited:
I’m confused by the term “forefit”

I book a $600 hotel. I pay $600 for it. I get a statement credit of $450.

I cancel the hotel. I get the hotel amount of $600 refunded. Does Amex then also take back the $450?

So if I want to change a FHR booking. I have to cancel the booking and re-book. Do lose the $450?

The contact centre says I won’t lose the $450, but the T&C’s say “Amex may reverse the statement credits issued”.
Post automatically merged:

I have done this and they just kept it as a statement credit. I rebooked about 2 months later and there was no clawback.

Post automatically merged:

I have done this and they just kept it as a statement credit. I rebooked about 2 months later and there was no clawback.
Good to know. Have booked using $400 explorer credit and may need to cancel so was wondering what happened given the statement credit is already in my account. Seems I should hopefully be able to cancel and keep the $400 statement credit (if I need to cancel). Fingers crossed anyway.

Back