Best value FF program | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Best value FF program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Intern
I can use my Altitude points on both Qantas and Air NZ. However Air NZ charges over 20% more then Qantas to go places. For example Qantas to USA return is 80K but Air NZ costs 100K.

I can use my Amex points on just about every airline. Is there better value if I join another airlines FF program besides Qantas or Air NZ which flys to Oz?

flyaway

When selecting a Star Alliance program United Airlines provide better value than Air NZ.

straitman

Flights
My Map
flyaway said:
When selecting a Star Alliance program United Airlines provide better value than Air NZ.
Absolutely agree. The UA program is very good. Just hope they are still around so you can use the points.

:D

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Yes UA's program is all very good and well, but (someone correct me if I'm wrong), there isn't a credit card program in Australia that allows points transfers to UA Mileage Plus. To my knowledge there is QF, NZ (no longer from end of this year), CX, MH & SQ on Amex and NZ, MH & QF on Altitude. Because points transfer is 2:1 for everything but QF & NZ on Amex, I think QF is the best option. Having said that, if you end destination is NZ or the South Pacific, NZ program matches QF in points, and probably has better availablity.

Tiki

I chose UA MP because we live in Australia and like to use miles for Pacific Island awards. UA = 20K, NZ = 50K. It is really annoying to be so limited-no credit card alliance, no Aussie domestic partner. If you want to use awards for travel to Asia, compare with SQ and TG.

262sammy

I primarily fly OneWorld but need a * Alliance backup due to flight availability. Which would be the best * alliance choice for status?

bfmi

Intern
262sammy said:
I primarily fly OneWorld but need a * Alliance backup due to flight availability. Which would be the best * alliance choice for status?
Depends which region(s) you fly the most. I have UA for AU|US travel and SQ for APAC travel. That way I get the status bonus when flying on the carrier own metal.

If you don't do enough travel for both, I'd choose UA as their award rates are better and offer more specials etc. IMHO.

BlacKnox

Jim said:
I can use my Altitude points on both Qantas and Air NZ. However Air NZ charges over 20% more then Qantas to go places. For example Qantas to USA return is 80K but Air NZ costs 100K.

I can use my Amex points on just about every airline. Is there better value if I join another airlines FF program besides Qantas or Air NZ which flys to Oz?
Do you ever pay for travel? Or is everything always reward based?

262sammy

bfmi said:
Depends which region(s) you fly the most. I have UA for AU|US travel and SQ for APAC travel. That way I get the status bonus when flying on the carrier own metal.

If you don't do enough travel for both, I'd choose UA as their award rates are better and offer more specials etc. IMHO.
Thanks bfmi

I will be travelling mainly ASPAC region predominately company paid in J.

Is it similar to OneWorld where status points accrue on all (mostly all) partner flights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Angelac84