Status
Not open for further replies.

NM

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
My son is off to India in about a week, spending most of his time in the Darjeeling region (north-east near Nepal border). Any suggestions on his best option for local currency? He will not need much, probably a total of around A$300 as most of his costs are already covered.

Is he likely to find local currency conversion facilities? And if so, will A$ be easily converted?

Should be take US$ or Euros? He is not keen to be carrying a large amount of cash in any currency (and A$300 is a large amount as far as he is concerned).

How about something like the CBA Travel Money Card ( Travel Money Card – Currency Exchange - Commonwealth Bank Group ) or any better options (he has CBA account, so initial thought is through CBA).

Unfortunately there is not enough time to get him a supp card from my 28 degrees card and I am not keep to give him my card/pin to use. We are really looking to minimise his "losses" through currency exchange, such as the fees that would be applied if he just accessed his Aussie CBA savings account from his key-card from an overseas ATM.

When I was in India in early 2011, converting AUD wasn't an issue but I only did this in major cities. ATMs will only be available in larger cities. In smaller towns or rural areas, I think it would be safer to have rupee and smaller notes where possible. Will there be an opportunity to change some cash in Delhi or Mumbai or any other large city?

When I was in India in early 2011, converting AUD wasn't an issue but I only did this in major cities. ATMs will only be available in larger cities. In smaller towns or rural areas, I think it would be safer to have rupee and smaller notes where possible. Will there be an opportunity to change some cash in Delhi or Mumbai or any other large city?
I am sure there will be an opportunity to change at the arrival airport. They are flying with EK via SIN and DXB. I know exchange at AU airports is generally very poor value with extortion exchange rates. So any guess on whether SIN or DXB may be better than arrival into India (I am not sure which airport they are arriving into India, but assume its BOM or DEL).

Personally I would be using my 28 degrees MC to withdraw cash at an ATM at the arrival airport, but that is not going to work for him.

I note many of the currency travel cards can be loaded with multiple currencies, but of course none are Indian Rupees, so would need to use AUD or USD if going down that path.

$300 AUD isn't a significant amount to change, so even if the rate is not that favourable it won't be a big hit to the pocket.

From what I recall the hotel exhange rates were similar to the airport, but if he has the opportunity maybe just change a small amount at the airport and the rest at a bank.

$300 AUD isn't a significant amount to change, so even if the rate is not that favourable it won't be a big hit to the pocket.

From what I recall the hotel exhange rates were similar to the airport, but if he has the opportunity maybe just change a small amount at the airport and the rest at a bank.
Yes, A$300 is not much and the variation in exchange rate is not going to make or break him. I guess the main issue is going to be avoiding doing lots if small transactions that have a fixed minimum fee, such as $5 per ATM withdrawal.

He won't staying at any hotels. But will be with a "local" for much of the time, who can hopefully help them through any local language issues if using a bank or other exchange facility. Since they won't be in the main tourist areas, I am assuming there won't be currency exchange booths/kiosks on every second corner.

So it seems A$ cash will be easily exchanged at the airport. Any idea if he will be better off with US$ or something else for exchange elsewhere? of course there is a cost to transfer to US$ in the first place, so a double change is likely to result in even worse overall exchange rate.

Can't comment on DXB, but have found FCUR at SIN reasonable compared with DRW, but then, everything is reasonable compared with DRW.

I suspect the best bet would be to change some at SIN, should be easily done from AUD to Indian Rupees, changing to USD will just involve double commission/margin possibly.

I have always found useful, current info of the web site India Mike. My trip was 2007 so changes have happened & ATM's are now obviously widespread

I just used my Cirrus card last time I was there. ATM's are plentiful in all the tourist places I went to or just use your creditcard

Indian Rupees (INR) is one of those slightly irritating currencies where the government doesn't condone large-ish quantities leaving the country. As such it is a little hard to come by in some places. As mentioned above, Singapore airport is generally very good for FX, so you could try there.

Once in India ATMs are plentiful in airports and large cities, however not in rural areas. Most over-the-counter money changers in major cities should accept AUD. Sometimes the rate (spread) is better for USD or EUR, but the FX rate can often be negotiated. Money changers are good becuase you can ask for the currency in a variety of denominations (large wads of 10 rupee notes are surprisingly useful). Money changers are bad becuase they could try and cheat / rip off your son.

For $300 I would suggest a single ATM transaction upon arrival. If you already have some USD or EUR notes, they would be good as emergency money in case of overspending.

As a side note I have a bit of INR at home which I am happy to sell at xe.com spot rates, but I won't be in BNE for several weeks, so that doesn't help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back