Best Non-Churning Credit Card

martindagun

Intern
Hi all,

My mum is retiring soon so she's looking for the best credit card to use in the future (after churning for a good 10+ years). She doesn't spend a huge amount each year so something with a higher earn rate would be ideal, or alternatively something with a yearly bonus rate.
Has anyone been in a similar situation and found a card which is worth the fee?

Thanks

Coles Mastercard for me. Fee free international transactions and flybuys that can be converted into velocity points or cash off at coles.

I agree with @jbman -- the Coles Rewards Mastercard has a very low annual fee ($99), and earns the equivalent of 1 Velocity point (2 Flybuys points) per dollar.

As an added bonus, I've been getting offers every month or two to convert $1000 or more into an instalment plan in return for 10,000 Flybuys points (=5000 Velocity points). There's a set-up fee of 1.99% and repayments after that are interest free. It works out at about 0.4cents per Velocity point, which is very good value. If your mother takes out, say, six of these instalment plans per year, that's 30,000 Velocity points per year ongoing at a very reasonable cost.

Having said that, she should also look at something like the AmEx Explorer. It has a much higher annual fee but that's offset by the annual travel credit and much more flexibility in terms of frequent flyer transfer partners.

Hi all,

My mum is retiring soon so she's looking for the best credit card to use in the future (after churning for a good 10+ years). She doesn't spend a huge amount each year so something with a higher earn rate would be ideal, or alternatively something with a yearly bonus rate.
Has anyone been in a similar situation and found a card which is worth the fee?

Thanks
Was there any particular FF program in mind?

Coles Mastercard for me. Fee free international transactions and flybuys that can be converted into velocity points or cash off at coles.
This looks good especially with the added bonus. Will look into it more.

aving said that, she should also look at something like the AmEx Explorer. It has a much higher annual fee but that's offset by the annual travel credit and much more flexibility in terms of frequent flyer transfer partners.
She's had that before, but probably not worth it with no bonus points each year. The travel website where you use the credit is more expensive than other website, so the feel isn't offset as much. Plus AMEX has higher fees at some locations, so not great as her primary card.

Was there any particular FF program in mind?
Probably Qantas, but Virgin and KF is also good.

Depending on how much she spends, the St George Dragon with a KF rate of 0.75 per $ spent is very good
Probably around $2k a month. Is the Dragon the Signature? I think the $279 annual fee puts me off that with no major bonuses.

This looks good especially with the added bonus. Will look into it more.

She's had that before, but probably not worth it with no bonus points each year. The travel website where you use the credit is more expensive than other website, so the feel isn't offset as much. Plus AMEX has higher fees at some locations, so not great as her primary card.

Probably Qantas, but Virgin and KF is also good.

Probably around $2k a month. Is the Dragon the Signature? I think the $279 annual fee puts me off that with no major bonuses.
There is a current bonus, but at $2k a month I wouldn't really worry about a keeper card tbh

Id be getting two different cards with rewards before she retires.

I find Amex is acepted most places these days and they even offer 3 that have with no annual fee but still earn rewards:
1. MR - American Express - /au/credit-cards/:cardslug
2. QF - American Express - /au/credit-cards/:cardslug
3. VA - American Express - /au/credit-cards/:cardslug

WRT Amex travel being more expensive that is not my experience for flights, I search for the flight I want on QF first find the best price and then have always been able to find the same flight in Amex to use my credit.

Then get a Visa or Mastercard as a secondary. If you get one that earns points or can transfer to the same programs as your Amex then you are winning. Finding a Visa/MC with decent points earn without an annual fee though is not easy.

Just need to decide if the value you get is worth more than the annual fee.

Ok, bit of a change of requirements now. We now require one which includes international travel insurance. Any good recommendations?
AMEX explorer looks good, but now worried she may not get accepted as already working reduced hours.

Ok, bit of a change of requirements now. We now require one which includes international travel insurance. Any good recommendations?
AMEX explorer looks good, but now worried she may not get accepted as already working reduced hours.

I believe the ANZ cards have the best travel insurance. I hold the Travel Adventures card as my regular one. It has a lowish fee, no overseas transactions charges and the excellent ANZ credit card travel insurance. On the debit side, it earns almost no points (I get my points from churning) and locks me out of sign up bonuses for ANZ Rewards (which are not that great, to be honest).

Back