Best multi-port USB charger? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Best multi-port USB charger?

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I am finding the standard charger doesn't charge my ipad quickly.
If I am actually using it the charge seems to stay level when the charger is plugged in.
Can anyone recommend a VERY FAST multi-port USB charger?
Bonuses for:
(a) built in international adaption; and/or
(b) power bank capacity.

mini2

One of these Anker thing is quite good.

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Are you sure that your problem is the charger? I'm not an Apple person, but perhaps your ipad doesn't support fast charge? Something else that could be the cause is a partly damaged cable.

p--and--t

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Not used for iPad but been very pleased with this purchase, used it for several overseas trips. Compact, can charge 5 items at once (4 USB, 1 x 115/230). bought it online from homieshome.

1579225764918.png

mini2

Good old iPad likes a bit of amperage, anything less than 2 amps will take a while.

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Are you sure that your problem is the charger? I'm not an Apple person, but perhaps your ipad doesn't support fast charge? Something else that could be the cause is a partly damaged cable.
Good thoughts but it charges quickly using the same cable from a very good powerbank I bought in Paris.
The powerbank is an Anker and it's been amazing.
So I am leaning towards the Anker gadget posted by @mini2

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Good thoughts but it charges quickly using the same cable from a very good powerbank I bought in Paris.
As someone else mention, it will be related to the power outupt (rather than being good/bad based on brand).

Hvae a look at the "good" one and check what the output is. Most likely something like 5V and 2A (2000mA). Ensure whatever you get has at least that power output rating.

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
plenty of cheap made in china ones on ebay, or go to JB or HN and buy an expensive made in china one, or a premium made in china one from the Airport DFO that all does the same thing.
I don't think so. As others have intimated, the speed of charge depends on the output current. Some cheap chargers will have weak current and will be useless. @esseeeayeenn , have you checked the AFF store for recommended products?

BillytheFIsh

If you want the fastest possible charging, it’s worth getting one with a usb-c output as well as buying a usb-c to lightning cable (assuming not an iPad Pro with usb-c). Anker look like they have one with 1x usb-c and 4 x usb-A. Will be more expensive though. I have one like this:

SeatBackForward

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Not cheap, but this is what I use now, works with my SP6 also.

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I don't think so. As others have intimated, the speed of charge depends on the output current. Some cheap chargers will have weak current and will be useless. @esseeeayeenn , have you checked the AFF store for recommended products?
Yes they have the Satechi as posted by @SeatBackForward although the price is a bit higher than the current price on Amazon - may be lagged.
I am also looking at this one by "Helper Labs" because it has a higher 90W overall power capacity.
I would be interested to know if anyone has tried it.
I am definitely following @BillytheFIsh's recommendation to buy a charger with USB-C output.

BillytheFIsh

Looks to be a generic Chinese product. I’d be cautious unless you can find some independent consumer reviews. 90 watts including 2 usb-c PD ports is a lot of power and a lot of potential for heat and for something to go wrong.

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
If you want the fastest possible charging, it’s worth getting one with a usb-c output as well as buying a usb-c to lightning cable (assuming not an iPad Pro with usb-c).
That makes no sense. USB C is just the type of connector. Ie, the plug type. That's it. It does NOT mean it will charge any faster.

BillytheFIsh

That makes no sense. USB C is just the type of connector. Ie, the plug type. That's it. It does NOT mean it will charge any faster.
You’re right, I didn’t specify “usb-c Power Delivery port”, but we’re talking about wall chargers here and any wall charger that has a USB-c port will support PD.

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
You’re right, I didn’t specify “usb-c Power Delivery port”, but we’re talking about wall chargers here and any wall charger that has a USB-c port will support PD.
Again though, this doesn't mean it will charge an iPad any faster.

theblank

Established Member
I don't think so. As others have intimated, the speed of charge depends on the output current.
Of course it depends on the output.
It would be next to impossible to buy a multi charger today that didnt have 2A output at least. Unless you found some 5yo stock somewhere.

The point is all the chargers are cheap product from china, including the retail brands in department stores.

SeatBackForward

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Of course it depends on the output.
It would be next to impossible to buy a multi charger today that didnt have 2A output at least. Unless you found some 5yo stock somewhere.

The point is all the chargers are cheap product from china, including the retail brands in department stores.
Usually all coming out from a common factory, only with different branding and packaging.

DeKa

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I've been using this Nekteck 1x 60W USB-C PD & 4x USB-A charger (with 2.4A/12W across 4 ports) for a couple of years now. At the time, it was the first one I could find with both USB-C PD and a number of USB-A ports. Like others have pointed out, you really need 2.4A per port for reasonable charging speed. As such, it's a bit slow charging multiple USB-A devices (eg two iPhones, a power bank and a FitBit will take overnight at least) .. but it's small, light and easy to stash in my cabin bag. That was the compromise at the time when I bought it.

I see Nekteck now have a 111W version, with 87W USB-C PD, and 4x 2.4A (12W) USB-A ports so if I needed to replace it, I'd probably get that, however, I really want to wait until there are 4x USB-C PD port versions available, then I can switch to charging all my devices using USB-C cables.

Nekteck have USB-IF certification on most of their chargers - that means supposedly they have stable output and won't damage anything.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karenap66