Best CC for overseas spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizar

Established Member
I will be going on a big trip overseas next year which is rare for me, usually 3-7 days at a time. So wondering what is the best credit card for overseas spend ?

I know the citibank signature/select gives 4/5 points for overseas spend or online spend to an overseas merchant, which can be converted to 2.67/3.33 KF points respectively. Is this the best deal out there ?

Also, would purchasing accom through airbnb be counted as "online spend to an overseas merchant" ?

Thanks, appreciate any comments/thoughts/advice

if someone is picking up the tab (ie reimbursing your entire CC bill), then it's very very hard to beat the Citi Signature at $0. if you're paying, you're unlikely to beat 28 Degrees/Bankwest Platinum Zero.

if someone is picking up the tab (ie reimbursing your entire CC bill), then it's very very hard to beat the Citi Signature at $0. if you're paying, you're unlikely to beat 28 Degrees/Bankwest Platinum Zero.

+1 on 28 degrees. The exchange rate and fees difference between that and almost any other card, and certainly Amex, means that the savings out weight the lack of points. For cash withdrawals, it's the Citi debit card for me.

if you want a back up for the Citi Plus debit card (by far the best card for overseas cash), ING Orange only charges $2.50 per withdrawal with, apparently, no forex fee.

if you want a back up for the Citi Plus debit card (by far the best card for overseas cash), ING Orange only charges $2.50 per withdrawal with, apparently, no forex fee.

Correct. It's my backup. Don't use for purchases though - ATM only.

Thanks for all responses so far.
But I was after not the card that is the cheapest to use overseas but rather the card that will give me most most points per dollar spent.

which was answered - if you're getting fully reimbursed, it is unlikely you can beat the Citibank Signature for $0.

which was answered - if you're getting fully reimbursed, it is unlikely you can beat the Citibank Signature for $0.

You are missing the point. If there was a card which offered 10 points per dollar and it cost $1200. And the Citibank signature with 4 points per dollar for $0 the correct answer to my question would be the former.

I'm not looking for best value just the most points.

Cost being no issue, then the answer would be the select, followed by the signature then probably the amex plat charge.

Cost being no issue, then the answer would be the select, followed by the signature then probably the amex plat charge.

Absolutely agree. Can't think of another mainstream card that would beat these ones.

Amex platinum reserve would share an equal third place with the amex platinum charge. The citibank cards (Select and Signature) are number 1 and 2, respectively.

Amex platinum reserve would share an equal third place with the amex platinum charge. The citibank cards (Select and Signature) are number 1 and 2, respectively.

Not quite equal though- Plat charge can warehouse but can also transfer to Qantas Frequent Flyer points. 4 place I reckon, unless you've sworn off QFF for life ;)

I didn't realise the plat reserve had the same 2 ppd for overseas transactions that the charge had.
Upon going to the amex website to verify, I realise that the reserve has been pulled from the amex line up. It's not in the card selection list, and the page from my browser history goes straight to the card selector page.

Interesting!

That is really interesting. I checked and see it is also not advertised for new applications. Platinum Reserve was a good card. Free flight with Virgin annually (more destinations that Platinum Edge) and the same earn rate (3 for restaurants-2 for certain travel and o/s charges) as the Plat Charge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back