Best Card combo for 2k Amex 8k Visa (10k total per month)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JChilds

I've been reading for a while, but as of 10 minutes ago am a new member.

As the title suggests, I am after the best card combo to earn the most QFF points.

I will spend ~ $2000 on Amex each month, and ~$8000 on Visa/MC each month.

I currently have no other credit cards. (I 'didn't belive in them' until I came to this site.)

What is my best bet?

Some features are:

Enjoy a superior points earn rate with the NAB Qantas Platinum Card. You'll also benefit from:

• no points cap
  • no points expiry while you remain an active member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program
Amex earns 1.5 points per $1 & Visa earns 2 points per $3.

Special insurances for NAB Qantas Platinum cardholders including:

• Overseas Travel
  • Interstate Flight Inconvenience
  • Domestic Hotel Burglary
  • Transport Accident
  • Extended Warranty
  • Purchase Protection
  • Price Protection

The CBA Platinum Mastercard offers 1 QFF point per dollar spent. That'll earn you 8000 points per month already. Annual fee of $210 with QFF direct Opt in option.

Then for the Amex, you can get a set of westpac Earth Cards. At least 1 QFF point per dollar spent, depending on the card you choose. That'll earn you at least 2000 QFF points per month.

So 10,000 points per month in total for $285 of annual fees. More card fees if you want more than the basic earth card but slightly more points as well.

Best if you could put all your exenditure on the CBA Platinum mastercard so you save on extra card fees. Same points but only $210 in annual fees.

Best if you could put all your exenditure on the CBA Platinum mastercard so you save on extra card fees. Same points but only $210 in annual fees.

Totally agree. The only time you should consider a second card is if your spend exceeds $150,000 per year. Even then, there is no point in a second card unless you are spending at sufficient to justify the cost of the second card.

Then for the Amex, you can get a set of westpac Earth Cards. At least 1 QFF point per dollar spent, depending on the card you choose. That'll earn you at least 2000 QFF points per month.

Be careful with any Westpac cards. I would recommend against them unless you don't make many BPAY purchases. Westpac do not give points for BPAY payments unlike most of the other banks.

With a spend of 120K per year I would recommend that you firstly examine whether putting CC points to QFF is your best option for you as such spend is in it's own right enough to earn superior (or more) awards in other programs.

Naturally this will need to take into account your own preferences in how you wish to send points..and what other points you eran by flying etc.
ie it may be that you want them for QF upgrades.

In my case I now put mt spend on a Westpac Krisflyer Amex/VISA combo because of it' superior points earn, no cap...and then superior burn rates (I am happy with the Saver destinations..ie note Saver fares cannot be used for all SQ destinations.

Also in my case I run multiple FF programs in order to maximise earn and burn:
  • There are some occasional good bonuses, or promos, to QF that outweigh it's higher burn rate.
  • In some cases there are earns which can only go to QF. ie the new Woolworth's Scheme.
  • I have flights on QF in Oz
Another advantage is this gives me access to both *A and One World schemes as both have their pros and cons. It also increases where and when I can fly.

However as I do not fly much with QF I have low status...boosted by having bought a cheap corporate QF Membership. If you have high QF status then QFF points will have more worth to you as upgrades are more likely and you may also be able to gain more award availability as well.

Last edited:
Be careful with any Westpac cards. I would recommend against them unless you don't make many BPAY purchases. Westpac do not give points for BPAY payments unlike most of the other banks.
Are there very many places that require BPay that don't also take a direct credit card payment of some sort?

Are there very many places that require BPay that don't also take a direct credit card payment of some sort?

Maybe not with general consumer spending (eg. Electricity etc.).

But with small business usage: Yes.

With the spend that the poster talks about, I am guessing that they may be using the card(s) for business purchasing.

I use credit cards for small business spending and I have a few suppliers in which the bulk of my credit card spending is done and they surcharge for direct credit card, but don't surcharge for credit card by BPAY. As I spend $60,000 - $90,000 per month with these suppliers, it makes a huge difference.

Thanks for all the replies guys and gals.

Yes, as the above poster said, I am using some of this card for business use.
I'm doubting any of them will accept BPAY though, and the majority charge a surcharge for using CC, but I'm sure I can negotiate this. ( If I manage this, I could possibly spend up to 25,000 per month)

I have just applied online for a CBA platinum card.
One other question I have is, am I able to get free ebtry to the Qantas Lounge with this card ( Like some AMEX cards).

I have just applied online for a CBA platinum card.
One other question I have is, am I able to get free ebtry to the Qantas Lounge with this card ( Like some AMEX cards).

No.

Visa/Mastercard Platinum cards don't really offer much except for better points earning.

I can still remember the horrible concierge service offered by CBA Platinum. I was in my car and had it on speakerphone when I called them. Also in my car was someone who used to work at the Vodafone Ask us Anything call centre. He could not stop laughing about how bad the service was. I can't remember exactly what I asked them, but it was something simple like the location of a restaurant. After another try later for something else, I soon gave up using that service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back