Best Award Options SYD-YVR? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Best Award Options SYD-YVR?

goldenhorn

I'm looking at heading to BC next year and wondering what might be the best award options for getting from Sydney (or anywhere on East coast) to Vancouver (or the US, where I can buy an internal flight to get to YVR).

I'm checking out the current LifeMiles promotion of 130% bonus and wondering if I might be able to find a *A airline to get there.

I'm totally flexible with travel dates and open to creative itineraries and multiple stops, as long as I can go in J. :)

Any ideas and thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

trooper

AFF Supporter
Im off next month to LAX via ICN on OZ, coming home via NRT on NH on a Lifemiles redemption. That wasn't TOO hard to get 11 months ago... but I had zero luck finding anything more direct. (I have NOT looked recently so am unaware of current availability)

MEL_Traveller

AFF Supporter
I'm looking at heading to BC next year and wondering what might be the best award options for getting from Sydney (or anywhere on East coast) to Vancouver (or the US, where I can buy an internal flight to get to YVR).

I'm checking out the current LifeMiles promotion of 130% bonus and wondering if I might be able to find a *A airline to get there.

I'm totally flexible with travel dates and open to creative itineraries and multiple stops, as long as I can go in J. :)

Any ideas and thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!
Your obvious choices here are Air Canadia or United.

LM will show both of those, although the united option may only show you as far as LAX (LM is notorious for not showing connections). If you can find space to LAX you can look for a connecting flight (but this will be in economy only) as an award, send off your screenshots to Lifemiles and ask them to book it.

You also have the same options out of MEL. So you might find it worthwhie to book a cheap economy to MEL to start from there.

How to find seats? Use United's tool. Note that award avaialbiity is extremely limited, although the MEL-LAX on the UA99 isn't too bad. Like at the moment every Tuesday or Wenesday is pretty much open in October (I just picked this as an example). But with United's move to dynamic pricing and their 'everyday' premium awards, the 'saver' awards (which you will need to look for if you want to replicate the booking on Lifemiles) are getting harder to find.

Air Canadia will also show up on United. That isn't dynamically priced. The saver level is 90K. Once you find that you can look to see if it's replicated on lifemiles.

you'll need a UA acount to look for availability. But it's free to join.

goldenhorn

Im off next month to LAX via ICN on OZ, coming home via NRT on NH on a Lifemiles redemption. That wasn't TOO hard to get 11 months ago... but I had zero luck finding anything more direct. (I have NOT looked recently so am unaware of current availability)
Thank you!

Yes, I was thinking of a similar itinerary via ICN as I saw someone post an itinerary like this in the Lifemiles Success thread.

Did you have to use the screenshot method to get that itinerary? or were you able to book through the LM website?

goldenhorn

LM will show both of those, although the united option may only show you as far as LAX (LM is notorious for not showing connections). If you can find space to LAX you can look for a connecting flight (but this will be in economy only) as an award, send off your screenshots to Lifemiles and ask them to book it.

You also have the same options out of MEL. So you might find it worthwhie to book a cheap economy to MEL to start from there.

How to find seats? Use United's tool. Note that award avaialbiity is extremely limited, although the MEL-LAX on the UA99 isn't too bad. Like at the moment every Tuesday or Wenesday is pretty much open in October (I just picked this as an example). But with United's move to dynamic pricing and their 'everyday' premium awards, the 'saver' awards (which you will need to look for if you want to replicate the booking on Lifemiles) are getting harder to find.

Air Canadia will also show up on United. That isn't dynamically priced. The saver level is 90K. Once you find that you can look to see if it's replicated on lifemiles.

Thanks for clarifying how to get an award onwards from LAX. I used LM to go SYD-IAH back in May with UA and wasn't aware I could have added another internal flight for the same cost. Duh!

I'll check from MEL too.

Good idea to check on United as well. I have a US and AU account so all good there.

I've been able to find a couple of AC seats in J on a few dates, so it's looking more promising.

Thanks so much for those tips!

Last edited:

goldenhorn

Awesome tip to check availability on UA first. SO much easier than looking on LM. I found availability within 5 minutes after spending a couple of hours with no luck on LM.

The SYD-YVR award shows on the UA site, but not on the LM site. I've double checked and they are 2 Business Saver awards that are showing as available.

Does that mean it's not available through LM, or can I ask LM to find it if I contact them?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

trooper

AFF Supporter
Thank you!

Yes, I was thinking of a similar itinerary via ICN as I saw someone post an itinerary like this in the Lifemiles Success thread.

Did you have to use the screenshot method to get that itinerary? or were you able to book through the LM website?
A straight redemption through the website. The only problem was that it took numerous attempts to complete - and pay. Ive never used the screenshot method! I must say now though I wish I'd tried harder for a more direct routing. I'm a bit over long flights...…even in J...(can I say that here!!! lol) and this is two in each direction. Ah well... the ORD-NRT is in F....so..... that will be a treat.

goldenhorn

A straight redemption through the website. The only problem was that it took numerous attempts to complete - and pay. Ive never used the screenshot method! I must say now though I wish I'd tried harder for a more direct routing. I'm a bit over long flights...…even in J...(can I say that here!!! lol) and this is two in each direction. Ah well... the ORD-NRT is in F....so..... that will be a treat.
Yeah I’m having problems with payment today too. Rejected card twice already even though I’ve approved the debit via my bank. Very frustrating.

F on NH will be wonderful. Hope you post a trip report!

MEL_Traveller

AFF Supporter
Yeah I’m having problems with payment today too. Rejected card twice already even though I’ve approved the debit via my bank. Very frustrating.

F on NH will be wonderful. Hope you post a trip report!
If you can find the entire itinerary on line on the LM website, but have a payment error, you can call the call centre for them to do the booking and take payment. (The screenshot is only if you can't see the entire itinerary on line)

AFF on Air Podcast

• Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York – a feat it aims to ach ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammyscrammy