BA to quit Kangaroo Route?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roryg, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. roryg

roryg Junior Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Melbourne
    #1 roryg, Aug 2, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
    I haven't seen it mentioned here - so apologies if it has - but TravelMole.com is reporting that:

"...it is thought that BA will soon withdraw [from the kangaroo route] allowing its OneWorld partner Qantas [to] operate the route."
    (Full report in my post below)

I was wondering what others here thought about this? Is it likely or not? Is there any substance to the rumour?

Rory

[edit to cut out link]

2. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Looking at recent BA loads from Aus I would not be surprised. There are always FF seats available to SIN and BKK right up until the last day.

Can't view the article as it requires membership.

3. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I wouldn't be suprised either.

Flying SIN/BKK-SYD/MEL for BA involves a lot of work whereas Qantas definately has a big advantage in that space.

They are constantly having sales, which to me doesn't bode well that they have lots of pax wanting to pay top dollar for seats.

If they leave, I won't particularly miss them. The loss of WT+ will be the biggest downside I think as well as the reduction of award seats available.

4. roryg

roryg Junior Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Melbourne
    Apologies.

Full article was about Austrian "leaving" Australia:

5. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    No problem.

It is a shame that we now have no continental European carriers flying to Australia but it is understandable and expected due to the challenge that has been presented by Middle Eastern and SE Asian carriers.

6. N860CR

N860CR Established Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    As mentioned, it could present a problem with award point availability. Most of my award flights between SYD and SIN/BKK have been on BA as the availability is generally better.

Interestingly, I did a search for an award flight BKK-SYD early next year on the QFF site and it listed the BA flight operated by a 777. Is it possible BA might just be downsizing the aircaft and not pulling out?