BA First or Virgin Upper Class

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by NickP, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. NickP

NickP Intern

May 24, 2005
    Sydney
    For a trip from Sydney to London, I've got the choice of either of the products above. I've not flown either of them before, I have used BA's Club product but preferred the Qantas business product.

Assumingly its not as clear cut as it looks, the info on the Virgin site would appear to make their product very attractive, and its slightly cheaper for the company [only by $1,000]. Having said that, I've been told the BA first product is really very special.

Has anyone got a preference of the two? Would like to hear some comments.

Cheers
    Nick

2. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    BA often has a promo for australia to europe whereby oneway is first and the other business. Might help bring the cost down to a more comparable level.

3. NickP

NickP Intern

May 24, 2005
    Sydney
    Thanks, that's exactly the promo I've been offered.

I'm now, just trying to decide between them in terms of product itself - ie what's a better seat, food, in flight entertainment, perks etc....

4. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Makes for a trickier comparison I think. Possibly BA J < VS J < BA F, but you only get BA F one way not both.

5. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    In my view, VS Upper Class is a very good business class product. Possibly better than BA/QF, but I am sure that is a matter of people's personal opinion.

BA F is a true, quality, First Class product. If you have not experienced a true long-haul international First Class product, then I would suggest taking the BA option.

One benefit with the BA option is that if there is a problem that causes the flight to be delayed or cancelled, BA has more options to get you to your destination (codesahres with QF, alliance partnerships etc) than VS can offer.

But do be aware of your schedule and the dates that BA's cabin crew union have identified for their industrial action in February.

6. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    In the OP's case going to London I do not think that is true. VS has NZ (HKG-LHR) and SQ (SYD-SIN-LHR) to call on. Plenty of flights.

7. jasonja3

jasonja3 Member

Sep 12, 2005
    SYD
    I can now compare the two thanks to an OP up to F BKK-SYD last week (a nice surpise), and flown VS in J a few times.

FOR BA
    • I have found the service in BA J to be better than VS, so F will be better again.
    • The BA F cabin is obviously less crowded, and quieter.
    • BA F seats are longer and (IIRC)wider, so better for sleeping
    FOR VS
    • VS food is quite good, I would even say better than BA
    • IFE beats BA hands down, with AVOD
    • Lounge access in HKG is very good, not that large, although very nice with a full menu available
    • Limited lounge access with BA routing via BKK as there is no QF/BA lounge, only a generic loaner.
    For me, I would take the BA F ticket. If you were comparing J with J, then I would take VS. I guess the only other thing to consider is the shedules, and what suits you. Good luck!!