Australian Visa for US Citizen with 23-year old conviction

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by odemadrid, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. odemadrid

    odemadrid Newbie

    May 18, 2014
    As you know the US laws make a lot of sense. :mad:

    I was convicted for sex with a minor when two weeks after I turned SEVENTEEN years old; the 'victim' was my little boyfriend who at the time was 13 years old and about to turn 14. We had known each other for 2 years, but his parents freaked out when they found out their Christian son was having gay sex.

    I never served jail time; I only did probation for 10 years. However, I had to register as a sex offender because gay relationships didn't qualify for Romeo & Juliet exceptions (aka minors having sex). It wasn't until recently the laws changed in my State, and the judge ordered my removal from the sex offender list given my age.

    Based on your knowledge, what is Australia's policy when it comes to situations like this? What kind of visa, if any, could I qualify for?

    Thank you

  2. Hvr

    Hvr Senior Member

    Jun 27, 2007
    Hi odemadrid, as you've noted laws are different everywhere and sometimes may not make sense.

    Your concern is whether or not you're entitled to a visa to enter Australia. The best advice is to look at the Australian government website and go from there.

    Good luck with your travels.

Share This Page