Australia post load&go or Qantas Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumfreqflyer

Hi all!

So I'm off to the USA in 1.5 weeks and I'm thinking of getting a travel card. Usually I just use my travel account with visa debit card which I have specially for travelling and then use my credit card but the fee to withdraw cash plus the currency conversion fees make it quite $$$....

Aus post load and go has the rate of .842 and qantas cash is .83. Current official aud to usd rate is .87 so the load&go and qantas cash rates aren't that bad considering I have to pay a 3% conversion and if the official rate drops then it makes it worse....

Which one would you go with? I'm probably looking at around $2000/$3000 personal spend on it, the rest will be put in a work credit card.

Have you looked at the Citibank Plus Visa Debit, you might be able to get one in time and the savings are significant.

Citibank Pus has not fees for purchases or cash withdrawals through Citi ATMs, so you get close to midmarket rates as you might see on XE.com, I would apply ASAP, if it does not arrive you have not lost anything.

I would suggest priming the Qantas cash as a backup - bad rates as you indicate but at least it gets 1 point per $ for foreign spend.

I would be careful with an Australia Post product. Never tried the travel card, but the regular prepaid Visa that they sell has serious problems. I ended up with a $100 one that wasn't needed so tried to spend it on day-to-day stuff and found it would hardly ever work - in most shops it would just be rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back